"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
THE rpg. (Updated Versions 6.20.11)

Reply to topic
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As many of you already know I was creating an RPG for the Android Marketplace. Much to my dismay i must have inadvertently downloaded a virus onto my computer because my computer was reformatted, thus losing hundreds of hours of work. So as I start over I'm looking for some help.

Andrew Man is currently lending me his musical talents, so music is covered.
I will eventually need beta testers, which means you need a PC and to download the installer.

McScurvy is my sprite guy.

Disgearulz may be helping me with a story. (Throw me story ideas)
I need Beta Testers to find bugs, play the game, tell what you like/don't like.

Let me know if you wanna do something! You'll also get into the Credits of the game Smile
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll test. I'll get Eclipse, and I'll just sit there and play it while me and the wife are working on our online play by posts. She'll complain once or twice but I'll tell her that God said I can do anything I want as long as it's through the hole in the sheet and she'll just roll her eyes and leave me alone. I'm pretty good at finding bugs and I'm always looking for a decent RPG

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 05:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll help whatever way I can. Testing is something I know I can do, but for the sprites I'm gonna need to see some examples of the detail level you would be working on.

The standars NES ans SNES game is a piece of cake, Castlevania SOTN might be a stretch, but I would like to try anyways.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 06:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sehkmaenzo wrote:
I'll help whatever way I can. Testing is something I know I can do, but for the sprites I'm gonna need to see some examples of the detail level you would be working on.

The standars NES ans SNES game is a piece of cake, Castlevania SOTN might be a stretch, but I would like to try anyways.

I'm looking at anything 8-Bit looking. I noticed that the sprites in Dragon Warrior were all made with the default MS paint colors.
Disgaearulz12
Title: A Dragon At Heart.
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 07:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So is there any specifics you would like to add into the story line that i have? As of right now i have character names and major plot points in my mind. I will get a basic synopsis for the story and send it your way.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 07:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Synopsis is fine, we can collaborate on what to leave out and what to add in. It doesn't have to be your book, but it sounded about what I was going for. There is only one Main Character in this particular chapter...OOOOO Chapters....I like that.

Disgaearulz12
Title: A Dragon At Heart.
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 08:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The synopsis is all sent and ready. I apologize for the length.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 08:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Should we be thinking Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy style?

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good point!! Dragon Warrior Style.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Can we post stuff here or would you rather it in PM?

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here, PM, Email all 3 if you want. Here might be nice because maybe people can get better ideas or something.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You got it boss.

16x16

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/972282566_G4Y7v-O.png

I call him Florb. You can name him whatever you want.

Ah... his hands are the color of the background... I'll give you some multiple background versions in a moment.

Different backgrounds:

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like to spin a good yarn. I'll help out with some narrative elements or give opinions.

Also, I made a wizard. Image

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 01:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just shrink down our avatars, some would work out.. Like GPF's, if he's willing. Aeonic could be a random town's person. I could be a king, you'd need to color me though. Couldn't call the character Jon though.. you'd probably get sued if you're doing this for profit. That's a character from a book series I've read: A Song of Ice and Fire, very well written by the way. Recommended to all fantasy readers and writes... or just people who enjoy quality material. (Steven Erickson, and Robert Jordan are other notable authors in that genre)

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Thunderhorse
Title: This is DELICIOUS!
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 05:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I totally wanna help! Only problem is, I have no computer, no android, and you've already got a story guy. Is there any specific timeframe you're planning on having everything done by? I might have a computer soon, so I'd be able to help then. Will the storyline be humorous (see Disgaea, Paper Mario) or serious (see Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy).

I had a friend who had an Rpg Maker for the PS2. He had the spells be Fire (Basic single enemy spell), Cure (Heal magic), and Corn (Spell that hit every enemy).

This Is Tuna With Bacon

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 08:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Just shrink down our avatars, some would work out.. Like GPF's, if he's willing. Aeonic could be a random town's person. I could be a king, you'd need to color me though. Couldn't call the character Jon though.. you'd probably get sued if you're doing this for profit. That's a character from a book series I've read: A Song of Ice and Fire, very well written by the way. Recommended to all fantasy readers and writes... or just people who enjoy quality material. (Steven Erickson, and Robert Jordan are other notable authors in that genre)

Jon,

No, you can't just shrink most avatars (other than Hacker's, which happens to be an 8 bit sprite). Mine might be on the easier side to recreate, but still, it can't be done by just reducing pixels. There is too much detail lost in most reductions to make a 16x16 pixel art sprite.

Also, you can't copyright a person's first name.

John McClane
John Connor
John Rambo
John Kreese

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Opinions are welcome, Disgea and Me are going to go over the story and basically will go from there. Its a more serious RPG like Dragon Warrior. I don't have a definitive release date as school is starting back up, but any and all help is appreciated. Whether it be spell names and effects or weapons and armor names and prices. What should the money be called? What about items? Should the spells be learned or purchased?

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Health and Magic Regeneration:
Through experience the total amount of health and magic would expand and its regeneration rate could be increased. Items could also help with these.

I would avoid requiring an inn, tent, cottage system. Instead have progressive regeneration at a reasonable rate while out of combat. Potions could be used for losses during combat.

This would cut down on unnecessary inventory and make the game progress forwards with less pauses.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 04:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only problem I forsee with that is that the game is going to almost look like a Dragon Warrior clone. The random function associated with whether or not a battle will occur can make regeneration somewhat pointless as they could follow a string of fight after fight. I defenitely will have items similar to heal potions and ethers for Health and Magic regeneration. There will be healing spells and such and maybe a MP draining spell.

Still not sure if I want to do an apprentice type skill building, if I want the character to gain spells by level or intelligence or if they should be purchaseable in a magic shop.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 04:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rejuvenation could be based on movement. Since it is a random variable between battles, perhaps it would be a risk. I've never heard of a game that works in such a way regularly, but it reminds me of the FFVI Tintinabar relic.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea I figured thats what you meant. It just almost seems pointless in the grand scheme of things. Please make more suggestions or ideas, I may include an item like that that you can hold in your inventory that will have a similar effect.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

just gonna throw this out there, cause I don't think that many people played wild arms 4.
In that game, they had a stamina Atribute, along with HP. As you took DMG, the stamina would heal it after the battle was over, depleting itself. When it reached 0, you were on your own, much like standard J-RPGs. I thought it was a nice way to save MP and healing items to the end of the dungeon
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 04:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting. I'd have to think of a formula for it...

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 04:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about a drunken shop keeper who gets stupider when you sell him booze and reduces his prices, but the booze is semi rare, so you stockpile it in order to get that bitching armor you can't possibly afford at the level you really want it?

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Aug 17 2010 06:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
How about a drunken shop keeper who gets stupider when you sell him booze and reduces his prices, but the booze is semi rare, so you stockpile it in order to get that bitching armor you can't possibly afford at the level you really want it?

Haha, maybe it won't be that exact scenario but maybe I'll include something where you have a max of 999,999 gold, but a piece of armor or a weapon is 1,000,000 gold and a certain item will get him to drop the price or give it to you.
Reply to topic

Jump to: