SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Article 111 Syd Can Beat Ducktales so he doesn't exist.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
A vote for the IRC Revolution is a vote against JonSnow.

I gave them the ability to warp what have you done? (-10 votes for rules violation)

Quote:
Sold me.

Very tempted to say i was the buyer Razz.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

So... did Sydlexia Just become a Cult?
JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

This article is 1000x funnier if you're a Philosophy major and have to deal with stuff like that on a daily basis. Great job, Syd!

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, I'm a computer sciences major, so it'll really only be funny if he resubmits it in C Sharp

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
yeah, I'm a computer sciences major, so it'll really only be funny if he resubmits it in C Sharp

Bill Gates tried and this is what happened:

Syd's logic broke the entire OS!

MamelDiaz
Title: SeƱor Cultura Pop
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Parmenides is proud of you, Syd.

"I have made many serious statements -- I just can't remember any of them. I guess they mustn't have been very important".

-Oliver Reed-

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:
A vote for the IRC Revolution is a vote against JonSnow.

Sold me.

same here

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

NotEnoughGolds
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ducktales is impossible, without introducing any psychological bullshit into it.
For some reason I just suck at that game, despite being pretty good at "harder" NES games.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 05:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DuckTales was one of the first NES games we got. Jeebus and I must have played it for at least 40 minutes on Christmas before someone read us the instruction manual and we learned you could pogo jump.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
username
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 07:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
DuckTales was one of the first NES games we got. Jeebus and I must have played it for at least 40 minutes on Christmas before someone read us the instruction manual and we learned you could pogo jump.

hah same here.

and it took me a while to understand that you hold down to keep pogo jumping.

Klimbatize wrote:

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 04:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Funny stuff Syd.
Very entertaining and full of flawed fun logic Very Happy

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 05:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hope you guys realize there is some legitimacy to the argument and it's not a closed case.

Here's the exact same problem. Suppose a ball is dropped from 10 feet in the air, and it always goes .9 of the height it fell from on the way back up.
Questions:
how many times will it bounce?
Will it stop bouncing?

According to calculus the sum of total distance traveled is finite, by the fact the sum of the distance is a geometric sum with r=.9 < 1. So it converges. The ball is traveling a constant acceleration, so a object moving at a constant acceleration over a finite distance will eventually pass that distance. Therefore according to calculus not only will the ball stop bouncing, but it will stop after a finite amount of time.

However simultanously, the ball will bounce an infinite number of times. So Zeno's like well if we let this case happen we arise at the situation that for every bounce there is one more bounce, but there is a last bounce. He argues this is a contradiction, so he says the above case is impossible, and the reason it's impossible is because of motion, so he comes to the conclusion continuous motion cannot happen.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Snow, that logic is flawed. You created a physics problem, but then tried to prove that it's impossible by completely ignoring the laws of physics. The ball will NOT bounce an infinite number of times. Because it always goes 90% of the height it fell, it means that the collision is not perfectly elastic. If it is not perfectly elastic, energy is not conserved by the collision. With the energy depreciating after each collision, this means that after enough bounces the upward force created from the bounce will be less than the force of gravity, and it will cease to bounce.

So basically, your entire post is what happens when you try to solve science problems using logic instead of math. Stick with your calculus version, that involves numbers and laws instead of the retarded version that declares "the ball will bounce an infinite number of times" with absolutely NO scientific or logical reason.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If each bounce retains 90% of the height from previous bounce, it WILL bounce infinite times. You will approach zero, but never reach it. You will, however, reach a point where the bounces become undetectable to the naked human eye.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 06:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The difference you're striking is putting it into the physical world, as opposed to this hypothetical world. In the world I created, it will always bounce 90% of the height it fell.

In the real world you are correct, these so called bounces will just be atomic vibration which will reach equilibrium with the surrounding atoms, the air, the earth etc... it won't cease vibrating but cease decreasing in energy level. Specifically it won't keep having a reduction eventually it's energy will be approaching less than/equal to the energy being put back into it by the surrounding atoms so it will plateau.

It's kind of like a super hot glass of water will get cooler if you leave it out, but it won't keep getting cooler indefinitely, it'll reach equilibrium, the same thing happens with these bounces, which eventually become vibration that reach an equilibrium vibration.

However we still can imagine the hypothetical situation, then attempt to see it's connection with continuous motion. I'll leave it at that, but this is a fun topic to think about.

Quote:
If each bounce retains 90% of the height from previous bounce, it WILL bounce infinite times. You will approach zero, but never reach it. You will, however, reach a point where the bounces become undetectable to the naked human eye.

Very true.. however by calculus they contend not only will it bounce an infinite number of times, but there will be a last bounce, and that last bounce will occur after a finite amount of time. Essentially you could sit there and watch an infinite number of bounces occur.

Zeno says this is impossible so comes to the conclusion motion is an illusion. (continous motion specifically, warping is possible still though)

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 06:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

That's if you attempt to solve the problem using logic, not science. As we know from science, it is impossible for ever bounce to retain 90% of the height, because the kinetic energy will diminish to the point where it is no longer able to move the mass.

JonSnow wrote:
The difference you're striking is putting it into the physical world, as opposed to this hypothetical world. In the world I created, it will always bounce 90% of the height it fell.

Why the fuck do I care about your hypothetical world? You're trying to prove things about the real world by creating a hypothetical world that doesn't follow the same physical laws, so basically you're just wasting everyone's time. I can create a hypothetical world named Rand McNally where people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people, but that doesn't mean people in the real world should give a fuck and start being afraid of hamburgers.

UsaSatsui wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 07:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes and no, there's real world ramifications. In this fantasy world, it doesn't have to be too different from our own world, we're just ignoring certain factors, just like sometimes in physics problems you have your weightless massless strings, and you exclude wind resistance. We're creating some ideal case so we can look at certain properties, mostly this is a commentary on continuous motion. The problem arises because of our assumption about the continuity of movement. If movement was discrete, like in video games, this problem wouldn't arise.

Basically if what you're saying wasn't stopping it from going .9*(the drop height) every time, suppose it just can, what would happen, and what conclusion can we draw. This situation is very parallel to the examples given in Syd's article. The tortoise and the hare, the football field example, etc...

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 07:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Yes and no, there's real world ramifications. In this fantasy world, it doesn't have to be too different from our own world, we're just ignoring certain factors, just like sometimes in physics problems you have your weightless massless strings, and you exclude wind resistance.

In physics problems, as in, for school, you ignore certain factors because they have a negligible effect on the outcome and make it unnecessarily complicated for an 11th grader taking physics 1. What you are ignoring does NOT have a negligible effect, and makes it very different from our own world.

Basically it's this: The ball would eventually stop. So you create a fantasy world and remove the law of physics that makes it stop. Now you claim that it doesn't stop in the fantasy world, so logically it wouldn't stop in the real world, and completely ignore the fact that the only reason it doesn't stop in your fantasy world is because you removed the factor that makes it stop but is also irremovable in the real world.

And shit like this is EXACTLY why I hate Syd's article.

UsaSatsui wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 07:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's a little more to it... Actually, in the fantasy world it does stop bouncing after it bounces an infinite number of times, which it does in a finite amount of time, hence Zeno's paradox. I'll just leave it at what i've said.

Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Shut up all of you, The ball stops bouncing as soon as the 90% rebound reaches movement to scale with the original movement on the atomic level. (to say differently) what ever was left of it's bounce movement is now equal with the amount of atomic movement prior to being bounced, so it is once again at a neutral bounce state. The ball doesn't have to stop moving to stop bouncing, the theoretical 0 in the equation doesn't apply to the situation. I have just disproved what makes Zeno's Paradox a paradox like that moment in 'A beautiful mind' when he realizes math can't represent real life situations perfectly. Suck it, I didn't even need calculus.

username
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 02:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

God I hate this thread.

Klimbatize wrote:

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 03:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
God I hate this thread.

I got a kick out the Rand McNally reference.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 03:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
There's a little more to it... Actually, in the fantasy world it does stop bouncing after it bounces an infinite number of times, which it does in a finite amount of time, hence Zeno's paradox. I'll just leave it at what i've said.

Simply put: Zeno's paradox is only a paradox if you're a fucking retard who takes every one of those statements as fact despite being impossible in any sort of world that resembles ours closely enough to be of ANY importance.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 04:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
God I hate this thread.

I've been enjoying Jeebus' posts in this one, actually.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 01:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Simply put: Zeno's paradox is only a paradox if you're a fucking retard who takes every one of those statements as fact despite being impossible in any sort of world that resembles ours closely enough to be of ANY importance.

Not really true at all, because none of those properties suddenly allow for continuous motion to work. What i mean is, sure in the bouncing ball scenario you can't always allow the ball to go .9*fall height, but the properties stopping it from doing so, have no bearing on the fact that continuous motion itself would make it paradoxical. Secondly, if you don't like the bouncing ball, you can just use the football field example.

Where for every segment a person travels there is one more segment to travel (like each bounce of the ball), and there will there be a last segment to travel (a last bounce), he will travel all infinite segments (infinite bounces will occur), in a finite amount of time. Note: (you can map each segment to a bounce)

Secondly not only does this seem impossible to perform an infinite number of tasks, (which if it's the case logically then it's the case that must be true, which is why Zeno said this world is an illusion), but also when you get down to it, and you go to the smallest units that make up all things in quantum physics, things are warping around.

I'll put it this way if you look up objections to Zeno's paradox, none of them are going to be bringing up what you're saying.

The properties you bring up stop the ball from doing what I'm saying is happening, but they don't give an answer to the ball's problem that arises due to continuous motion, they just prevent the scenario from happening in reality. Again if you don't like that scenario you can use the walking across the football field scenario.

To sum up Zeno's argument: As soon as you have continuous motion stuff like the ball example are hypothetically possible, Zeno argues that's a contradiction, ergo continuous motion can neither be hypothetically possible in ANY imaginable universe, and in particular not ours. He's arguing it creates a fundamental contradiction.

I will say this, I'm not totally convinced of Zeno's argument myself, but I want to present it and for it to be understood as it was supposed to be. He is bringing up a very intelligent point, Zeno was not by any means dumb. His thinking helped propel calculus, and changed philosophical views that still are impacted today. As much as i hate to say this, Zeno could very well be correct. I have a response I would offer but I'm not satisfied with my own response.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: