SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Video Cameras

Reply to topic
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm looking into buying a video camera. I've always been interested in story telling, creative art, and acting. So I thought I might do some solo vids, involving just me (to start with), and i'm lookin for a good camera. I'm willing to pay $400-500 dollars for one. I could be content with just starting with a cheaper one and moving on from there.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations, it's main purpose will be to film short films (with the option of longer ones). I need good sound quality, night time shots not as important to me. Also, I want either to learn or have an easy way of getting information off the camera onto the computer. From there I can put it onto a DVD if i want or whatever. It'd be nice if the camera just saved the video to some large built in hard drive like 30 gigs or something. So i can film it all on one camera, and there'll be extra scenes in there because i won't know what i'll like. Then i'd also need a some free software for video editing, i don't need super fancy stuff. I don't plan to try any special effects until later on if i really pursue making short films. I'm going to try to keep it simple, and effective.

What I'm looking for, and i'm open to learning from the expertise here:

Video Camera Prefrences:

High Pixel Density capacity, crisp pictures are a plus.

High frame rate, I want to capture very fluid motion.

Good Optical Zoom (it actually physically has a good zoom, not a virtual zoom in)

Portable I want to be able to hold it in my hand (maybe it'll take both hands), it can be a reasonable size, but I DON'T want a massive camera.

Some degree of night time shots nice.

Lastly I'd like for it be able to transfer off the camera via like a USB stick or something. I have a portable Hard Drive (320 gigs), maybe i could use that, bring it with the camera and just plug it in somehow, and then the camera starts saving information to that.

I honestly don't know much about cameras. I've thought about them logically, how they must work but i've had no formal training or instruction on them. That's why with the movies i plan to keep the shots simple, the camera still, until i get used to the multiple angle shots. I'll do 180 degree shots, over one persons shoulder to the other person shots. The shots you see on T.V. shows i can imitate some of them i think

Then secondly I'm interested in Software

What i'm lookin' for in the Software:

1.) Free (be nice) unless i get serious i don't plan to buy some proffesional level software
2.) basic editing tools, making cuts, rearranging the order of scenes, adding text, some other special effects opportunities. Seperating voice editing and video editing. So i can Sync of desync, or add in audio...

I already have some short film scripts about (15min each) written up, most are comedy skits, some are meant to be serious. The problem with serious though is it require good acting, comedy, if you suck at acting it just becomes part of the comedy.

Any advice.. telling me what i need or don't need. Maybe i'm placing to much value on frame rate, i've watched older films and i know their frame rate is low, and i've liked it. Maybe i can save a lot of money by sacrificing less essential stats. I just want if i put it on youtube that'd it look and sound nice. and people wont' be distracted by shoddy sound or picture.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Jul 27 2010 03:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jul 27 2010 04:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck, man. I haven't found shit, and I have basically the exact same requirements from you. Although, unless you plan on pirating, there is no good free editing software.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 27 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

How old are you? If you are a student there are occasionally deals on student editions of software like adobe. Also where you are there might be a good multimedia class where you learn the basics of the programs.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 27 2010 01:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do have a friend that went to film school, i'll need to give him a call. He can probably get me started. And thanks for the google lesson Doc, but was hoping i might talk to a real person that could give me direct feedback on here.

OWD: I actually just recently graduated college, but I'll check into that i have friends who are Sophmores and Juniors still in college, who can grant me access to those types of deals.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Jul 27 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wax I've heard is a good free video editor. http://www.debugmode.com/wax/
LavonneDaniels
PostPosted: Jun 06 2012 02:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'll need to give him a call. He can probably get me started. And thanks for the google lesson Doc, but was hoping i might talk to a real person that could give me direct feedback on here.

---------------------------------------------
Modern Family Season 3 DVD
Private Practice Season 5 DVD
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jun 06 2012 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The snow has melted. Sad

Reply to topic

Jump to: