"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Please to help with MTG?

Reply to topic
KyriosExousia
Title: Jack of all Trades
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 03:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

looking at the most recent decklist from jon i see some things that should not be there:
Dark Confidant, it's useful but not a knight, therefore pointless in this deck. instead i'd use stillmoon cavalier
More swamps than plains, uhmmm...the deck has higher white color weight than it does black, so...yeah...
4 Buried alives....by the time i use one i'm set, the other 3 will then result in dead draws because, simply stated, building a deck around a single card (Haakon) is just not the smartest thing to do, 2 is enough there
1 Knight of White Orchid...uhmm...the white color weight is higher than black like I already said, and...well, seeing as how the vast majority of everything only costs 4 CMC and down i can easily just hold out on lands as a safeguard against things that force discarding, seeing as how there's fetchlands and bounce lands to keep a steady output of mana....

my own opinons:
i might drop day of judgement for austere command, simply because for two extra mana i can mass remove most of my opponents field and take care of enchantments or artifacts, whichever is causing me more trouble simply because i run no enchantments, and have few artifacts.
KyriosExousia
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 03:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin wrote:
We'll see a food forum long before we see a Magic forum.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!! (the food forum)
(apologies for double post)
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 04:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin wrote:
We'll see a food forum long before we see a Magic forum.

If only you knew how true that was...

Kyrios, sounds like you're making some good decisions. I still prefer Peace of Mind in this deck over Buried Alive, because Buried Alive doesn't address what to do with all of those dead Haakons in your hand. (And because it makes all your knights give you 3 life if you have Haakon, which isn't a terrible thing..and it gives you something to do with all those extra lands you don't need.) And Austere Command is a much better choice than Day of Judgment. It's more expensive, but most of the things you'll be worrying about will be expensive creatures, of which you have none.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Buried Alive isn't a dead draw once Haakon is out! You put more guys in the graveyard, then cast them. Hell, you can get out all your Knight Exemplars that way.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
KyriosExousia
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 04:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Buried Alive isn't a dead draw once Haakon is out! You put more guys in the graveyard, then cast them. Hell, you can get out all your Knight Exemplars that way.

that indeed is true, i might go with having the two of them and two peace of mind, that way if i somehow have haakon in my hand i can still benefit and such i suppose
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

just for the record, Im working on a mono red control/burn deck tentatively (might do u/g instead) so i may ask for some advice or post a deck listing soon. still getting used to the sets that are current for standard.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 04:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You can do what you want, but i'll give you my reasons.. the only reason i'm diong that is becuase I honestly thought about the deck for quite a long time, felt kind a bad when you didn't like my chocies.. but here's why i had them..

The Dark Confidants are far drawing power, since the buried alive will remove many creatures.. this will let you draw lands and cheap cards at little to no damage. This will let you also get and maintain monsters to use for deathrender to your hand. Basically now you can run fewer lands and fewer rending blades and fewer of many cards because now you're drawing faster. And since you'll draw faster you'll get more creatures so you can maintain the use and benefits of deathrender. I think without it then with rending blade out.. you wont' get the use out of it very much. It'd work twice and just stop working for a few draws then work again... With the confidants you'll keep drawing to maintain the use of rending, and it gets the cards you need faster to accelerate the deck.

That's why i like the dark confidants, just because it's a Knight deck doesn't mean they all have to knights I really think it helps.

The 4 buries alive, are a MUST, Syd made this deck with that card. They make it so much faster.. the reason for 4 is that you need a high probability of getting that card, and you need to make sure you get them before drawing Haakon. It's not that you need to draw all 4, because you won't.. on average you'll likely only draw two per game. And your deck has enough knights to easily accomidate two buried alives. You can dump Haakon + 2x Indestructible first time around.. second time.. get the double strike guy, and another knight of your choice.

I honestly think of Buried alives as duplicates of any knight in your deck. You can get any knight you want to the gy, and then to the field with that card. So you have the +1/+1 indestructible in your hand you can get the Double Strike guy. Any knight you want, that card can get. So it's a duplicate copy of any knight, you need or want at the time. Your basically running 8 Exemplars in the deck as far a draw probability goes when you have 4 buried.

Quote:
More swamps than plains, uhmmm...the deck has higher white color weight than it does black, so...yeah...

Ya i was playing around with the deck at one time i had 4 Sign in bloods in there but i swapped them for the dark confidants. So i made changes because of that and Didn't undo them.. I also figured the draw ability would draw more lands out for you.. so i dropped the lands down from 22 to 21, that and you have a low CMC. I left in 1 white knight of the orchid, just in case you need to get more lands, but i didn't think you would. but just left one.. The idea was if you needed more lands you'd get him out with Buried. I thought about dropping him.. you probably can. That would get the deck down to 60.

It's not perfect, like i said it needs some work still.

Those were my thoughts, that's why i put in the cards i did. IF you ever want to play test.. i'll do it with you. Try different deck compositions.

Quote:
Kyrios, sounds like you're making some good decisions. I still prefer Peace of Mind in this deck over Buried Alive

askjfhakfhafhawfaewhkfjahajf
Jeebus forget anything good i've ever said to you about magic. askjfh Strongarm tactics is better than that.. and strongarm sucks compared to buried.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

KyriosExousia
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm....if i wanted to lose life drawing cards i'd run phyrexian arena instead, much less vulnerable to removal, less life to lose..but that's just an opinion of the person who is building the deck in the first place.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
just for the record, Im working on a mono red control/burn deck tentatively (might do u/g instead) so i may ask for some advice or post a deck listing soon. still getting used to the sets that are current for standard.

If you're trying to build a standard legal burn deck, there are currently two out there that see play, a quick one and a slower one.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 05:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll probably try to avoid seeing any standard decktypes that are already in use in favor of doing my own. right now I just want to put something together that i know most people arent playing. my biggest fun is perplexing the crap out of other players and then beating them.

KyriosExousia
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 05:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
i'll probably try to avoid seeing any standard decktypes that are already in use in favor of doing my own. right now I just want to put something together that i know most people arent playing. my biggest fun is perplexing the crap out of other players and then beating them.

omg that's what i enjoy doing! minus winning
aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

see, I like the winning part too. actually im kind of a crappy loser, even if i can act the part of a good sport. i fume a lot in private, but ive only lost about three or four games out of around twenty since i started back up.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 23 2010 05:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have spent about a year building a causual deck, that has finally come into it's own. I had a goal in mind, and that was to build a multiplayer deck with no creatures in it that could win. And, I have just recently acheived that goal.

I am not one of the hardcore people that having to build the ultimate competetive deck. Why? Probably because I don't have hundreds of dollars to dump into card every three month to stay competetive. Even, if I did have that kind of money, I wouldn't be spending it on Magic so often.
aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

this is technically a magic the gathering question, so I thought i would field it here. has anyone pulled two mythic rares in one pack? i bought eight packs and got some decent stuff (phylactery lich, the red ley line, time reversal, the green elemental creature that can't be countered or targeted with nongreen spells) but on the last pack i was surprised. i was thumbing through them and saw a garruk near the end and figured id gotten a land or something. then I looked at the last card and it was a foil Jace Beleren. is this fairly common?

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Any foil in a pack replaces a common, so anytime there's a foil rare (mythic or otherwise), there'll be two rares in the pack. The odds of a pack with a foil mythic rare also having a non-foil mythic rare are approximately 1:8.

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

well, i feel slightly less lucky now but pleased all the same. got two diabolic tutors out of the packs which was one of the cards i really wanted. thanks jeebus

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't put the tutors there, but you're welcome!

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
I didn't put the tutors there, but you're welcome!

or DID you? maybe youre the same entity that occasionally allows me to pick up radio frequencies through the metal bars on my lower back teeth of my dentures, or who told me to kill trick or treaters on that halloween in 98 when i ate sixteen purple ringer caps and watched return of the living dead three times and then bit into a bar of brut deodorant. time will tell

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I watched Asmodeus open a Shards booster that had a both a regular and foil Empyrial Archangel in it.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Hey Kyrios did you build this deck, if so How'd it go?

My biggest problem with it, tad too slow, and path to exile will rape the hell out of you if they save it for haakon. That's why you might need to run three haakon, and why the Dark Confidants might be good, so they waste some creature removal on them. That and quick combo decks.

That's the biggest problem I see.

It's greatest strength, if you give it some room to breathe, and you're playing people who don't have cards like PTE, or Sword to Plow shares, ... you have a stable replenishable deadly force. You also have great defense against strong creatures of theirs, key creatures of theirs, and flyers. You should dominate the field.

The weakness you have are large... let's just hope their combo decks are a bit too slow, and you dodge the pte's.

The deck looks fun, it can get powerful if you give it time.

You might need like 3 haakons, 4 buried, and 2 strong arm tactics (or peace of mind), not sure what you're running now.

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

so snow, did it take you a full 19 days to come up with your suggestions so you could necro the thread?

Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

MTG is definitely one of the coolest looking not socially cool at all things ever.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 02:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
so snow, did it take you a full 19 days to come up with your suggestions so you could necro the thread?

I honestly had those suggestions from day one,... I was curious if he made the deck, and then i decided to throw those suggestions out there, see what he says.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 22 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow need not respond to this (though I knows you'll do so anyway, send it to me in a PM if you must)

Since I've started hanging around a gameshop and my roommate got back into Magic I'm just curious what the latest rules were changed since the 6th edition rules change. I know about mana burn dying off and I'm pretty sure you can tap a tapped creature as part of an effect, but NOT a cost (Kor Hookmaster comes to mind since roomie's been psyched about having a pair of Armament Masters to build a Kor deck), and I know Jeebus said something about the damage rules changing, but I'm not sure how. Anything else I'm missing?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 22 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
JonSnow need not respond to this (though I knows you'll do so anyway, send it to me in a PM if you must)

Since I've started hanging around a gameshop and my roommate got back into Magic I'm just curious what the latest rules were changed since the 6th edition rules change. I know about mana burn dying off and I'm pretty sure you can tap a tapped creature as part of an effect, but NOT a cost (Kor Hookmaster comes to mind since roomie's been psyched about having a pair of Armament Masters to build a Kor deck), and I know Jeebus said something about the damage rules changing, but I'm not sure how. Anything else I'm missing?

The rules were changed pretty significantly at the release of the M10 edition. The biggest one is that combat damage no longer goes on the stack, it's simply dealt and can't be responded to. That doesn't mean you can't respond after blockers are declared (there was a bit of confusion about that). The biggest difference this makes is that the Mogg Fanatic trick (the one that let him kill a 2/2 by saccing him for a point of damage while combat damage was on the stack) doesn't work anymore.

This thread on the WotC Boards summarizes the changes with each edition. It's a nice place to brush up.
Reply to topic

Jump to: