SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG: M11 Prerelease

Reply to topic
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cudgel Troll is right.. he's very good in limited. When you get OCTGN set up... I know you go to tourney's i'd be happy to help you practice by doin' 6 sealed with ya. I never done a draft yet though,

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 13 2010 05:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Only sealed events I do are prerelease events and release events. The rest are draft.

Sealed is a lot easier, in terms of deck construction. You open six packs and your card pool is what it is. It doesn't take much skill to release what your pool's strengths and weakness are. Unfortunately, it can end up that your pool has no strengths.

Draft is harder, but it's more rewarding. You have to read table signals and figure out what colors are open if you want to build the best deck possible. Or you can just force the colors you want and ensure that you and the person who's trying to force you out of it end up with mediocre decks.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 13 2010 09:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Draft is harder, but it's more rewarding. You have to read table signals and figure out what colors are open if you want to build the best deck possible. Or you can just force the colors you want and ensure that you and the person who's trying to force you out of it end up with mediocre decks.
----

I get the concepts behind drafts, I think 6 sealed takes skill. It is easier than drafting though. As you said when you draft you have to notice how many, or what percent rather of a given colors relevant cards your seeing as the cards go by. (are you seeing a lot of ok red cards, green cards or what)... then secondly noticed what colors are missing, and if you know the sets well enough, you can know what kind of deck they're building.

For example in m11 if i a lot of blue go missing, then i know regardless my color i need to pick up some enchantments, to deal with Ice Prison.

Probably can play mind-games with people to.. if you open a pack and there is only one blue, and when you pass it down they see no blue in the pack, then the next guy will see no blue in the pack.. they might start thinkin' blue is not an option. Especially if it happened two packs in a row for you.

Honestly, I've never drafted like that.. I'd like to, and I'll see if i can get in a draft. I have a general feel for the strategy.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 13 2010 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What the fuck are you talking about. First you say you've never drafted before, then you repeat exactly what Syd said about draft, just in different (and more) words. And if your strategy for playing around Ice Cage is to start drafting Holy Strengths, then you have no idea what the fuck you're doing.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 13 2010 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And if your strategy for playing around Ice Cage is to start drafting Holy Strengths, then you have no idea what the fuck you're doing.

I woudl throw some in, and other enchants... I'd at least throw a couple in, if i knew someone was running blue. Probably 1 or 2. OR mighty leap or something to serve two purpsose, one for their effect and two for their icing on the cake to potentially deal with that annoying card.

And I've technically did 1 sealed irl (and many online sealed), but not draft style... but I knew the difference strategically. I was saying the same thing as Syd, since it's Syd so he's gunna make a good point, but just adding explanation for how you know what other people are drafting, and some reasons why it's relevant. I'd feel okay drafting in m11, but no other set. Since i know a lot of the m11 cards, which is hugely important in drafting.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 13 2010 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're wrong. I mean, maybe that's what YOU'D do, but you'd be wrong to do so.

UsaSatsui wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 13 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
You're wrong. I mean, maybe that's what YOU'D do, but you'd be wrong to do so.

Whatever... they wouldn't be top picks but i think i'd eventually grab one or two.. and those would be the reasons. I should ask on MTG salvation what they think about the scenario. You do have more magic experience, perhaps you're right.

P.S. thanks for talking like a sensible person in this reply... you didn't really give any reason for your statement, but at least it was a moderate statement on the issue. Your sig says otherwise about modesty... but in this case, I have to give you props for that.

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here's my favorite use for Fog that only really works when you consistently play with the same group of people.

My group has played together for years and we always play big group games. Our decks have been around for a long time too so its to the point where everyone knows which deck everyone is using after the first card they lay. Everyone also has a good idea of which instants people have in-hand based on their available mana. It took a lot of the fun out of things... until I used that knowledge against everyone.

I took 4 cards out of my deck and replaced them with 4 Fogs. We played a bunch of games over the weeks until they got to know that my deck contained Fog. Then I took the Fogs out and put the original cards back in. But for months I'd only need one untapped forest and it would be enough to make players attack someone else or only attack with half of their creatures because they thought I had a Fog (Which later became Tangle after Invasion came out and I did the whole process again... this is an old story).
APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 08:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

These magic thread are priceless... I can just imagine the look on Jeebus's face everytime he reads a Jon Snow comment.

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In multiplayer, you're better off with Constant Mists. One mana more, but it has buyback.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 01:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ive only recently got back in like I said, so fog is something near and dear to me because of familiarity more than anything. I have three safe passages though and agreed, far superior card. what set is constant mists from?

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 01:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

APLETHORAOFPINATAS wrote:
These magic thread are priceless... I can just imagine the look on Jeebus's face everytime he reads a Jon Snow comment.

Honestly, I'm pretty much ignoring what he says. I'm just scanning his posts for violation of the forum rules at this point and paying no mind to any of his inane content.

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jon, whats immodest about his sig? andy kaufman was a FANTASTIC heel. just the stuff he did with lawler was pure gold. the other two are just common sense.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 06:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
ive only recently got back in like I said, so fog is something near and dear to me because of familiarity more than anything. I have three safe passages though and agreed, far superior card. what set is constant mists from?

Stronghold.
Reply to topic

Jump to: