[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Unwritten rules of MTG multiplayer

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 26 2010 07:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

1. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is always in play. If you think it's not, you're wrong.
2. If a creature is giant and threatening and it is not indestructible, it will not last more than 5 turn cycles in play; this includes the end of the game.
3. If a creature is giant and threatening and it *is* indestructible, it will not last more than 7 turn cycles in play; this includes the end of the game.
4. Someone always has a counterspell. However, they don't always have the resources or inclination to use it.
5. No one remembers the games you lost. However, everyone remembers the games you won, and they're holding a grudge.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 26 2010 09:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you play Kokusho or Congregate, you are a fucking douchebag. No exceptions.

Your Soul/Essence Warden will die. You don't get to whine about it.

Thieves' Auction is not a fun card.

If you lose in a spectacularly epic way, you've really won. If you win like a dickhead, you've really lost.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 26 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kakusho is flat-out banned in my circle; I believe it's banned officially in EDH. Congregate is annoying, but not as bad. There are answers to Congregate: Forsaken Wastes, False Cure, Sorrin, Repay In Kind, and that Sphinx are all good answers. Kakusho though is just too easy to abuse.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jun 26 2010 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I play plenty of games where my Soul/Essence Wardens survive, I cast multiple congregates, have a ton of huge threatening creatures that end up killing everyone and have huge indestructible creatures that sit on the board for however damn long they feel like, what circles are you guys playing in?

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 26 2010 04:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tougher circles. You wouldn't last five minutes in my world, Zarak!
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 27 2010 02:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

6. You cannot block for another player.

Seriously, I had this happen at one place (that has now been closed down due to personal reasons from the owner) where they'd say "There's no rules that say you can't block for another player."

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 27 2010 07:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that's ridiculous.

The only format where you can block for another player is the Emperor team format, and in that case you had to have specifically deployed it to their territory first.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 28 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

My circle's unwritten laws:

1. If you play a mythic, good rare, or planeswalker it will be gone before your turn comes around again.

2. If Fluffy is playing his Direct Damage Deck, you already lost.

3. Never say, "Hey, I have a new deck I want to test.", unless you want to play against everyone's best decks and have a giant bullseye on your forehead for the round.

4. Fuck Jason and his stupid glooms. (If someone is planning to play a white deck, he just instictively knows to play his gloom deck. And, usually draws all four of them in under 5 turns.)

5. Hey, is that a new magic color? What is it called? Blue? Never heard of it. What's it do? (Serious, I think I am the only person in my group who has a couple of blue based decks.)

6. Anything that makes sapolings will die in less than a minute.

7. If a sliver hits the table on your side, you're immediatey killed. Even if it's only turn two. We will find a way...

8. If anyone sees an elf hit the table on my side, I usually become enemy number one. Which sucks because about half my decks have elves in them, not just my "Elfball Deck" and "Infinate Elves" decks.
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Jun 28 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what you guys are doing, but you're clearly doing it wrong...

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 28 2010 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If your deck is known to combo out and kill everyone in one turn, don't bitch when people stop you. Don't even try the "But I'm not a threat, I don't have anything out!" line. Particularly if you're just one piece from your combo.

(guilty, BTW)
LowEndLem
Title: Not Gay
PostPosted: Jun 28 2010 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In my circle, there were two rules.

1: If you play Platinum Angel, you will get punched. IT may stay in play by vote, but you'll get hit either way.

2: If it's a multiplayer match, everyone fuck Lem up. He sucks, but he'll somehow find a way to ruin everything.

<docinsano>i beat off using save states

<Tako> But, brontosaurs ate plants. It wouldn't be a threat to Jesus.

Why? Fuck you, that's why.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 28 2010 03:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LowEndLem wrote:
2: If it's a multiplayer match, everyone fuck Lem up. He sucks, but he'll somehow find a way to ruin everything.

You sound like one of my friends. He made an EDH deck that had no win conditions and was specifically designed to just completely fuck up the game state. It was actually kind of funny.

Knyte wrote:
1. If you play a mythic, good rare, or planeswalker it will be gone before your turn comes around again.

I find that hard to believe. It's nearly impossible to hit removal every turn. Of course, in my group, everybody's decks are comprised primarily of good rare.

Quote:
2. If Fluffy is playing his Direct Damage Deck, you already lost.

They're called creatures. Swing at him. Unless he's running 4 Earthquakes, 4 Fault Lines, and 4 Rolling Earthquakes, there's no way he outrace multiple people with direct damage.

Quote:
3. Never say, "Hey, I have a new deck I want to test.", unless you want to play against everyone's best decks and have a giant bullseye on your forehead for the round.

Yeah, that happens. But if doesn't do well against good decks, it probably needs tweaking.

Quote:
4. Fuck Jason and his stupid glooms. (If someone is planning to play a white deck, he just instictively knows to play his gloom deck. And, usually draws all four of them in under 5 turns.)

Hosers in multiplayer are generally considered very rude, unless you're running some sort of combo. (e.g. Karma/Urborg)

Quote:
5. Blue? Never heard of it. What's it do?

Usually at least two people are playing blue in our games. Occasionally, no one is. When that happens, things get ridiculous. Someone counter that! OH MY GOD, NO ONE'S GOT COUNTERS!

Quote:
6. Anything that makes sapolings will die in less than a minute.

Saprolings aren't so bad. Drop a Doubling Season though, and either you or it will be removed from the game very quickly.

Quote:
7. If a sliver hits the table on your side, you're immediatey killed. Even if it's only turn two. We will find a way...

Agree. Fuck Slivers.

Quote:
8. If anyone sees an elf hit the table on my side, I usually become enemy number one. Which sucks because about half my decks have elves in them, not just my "Elfball Deck" and "Infinate Elves" decks.

Elves are so damn annoying!
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Our buddy Fluffy has spent 15 years perfecting his DD deck. Now, it's not completely unstoppable, but he has a win rate with it of something like 90%. He keeps a few walls and dragons in his deck for denfense. Also, a shitload a timmys and one offs. (Also, he usually always keeps a lightning bolt and a single untapped mana on hand.)

By turn four, there are at least two out. And, usually one is that damn one that untaps whenever you play a redspell. A common turn for Fluff, goes like this:

(Taps Untapping Timmy) "Take 1." (Plays Lightning Bolt) "Take 3 more". (Untaps then retaps Timmy) "Take another one." (Plays Tarfire) "Take 2 more". (Untaps then retaps Timmy) "Take another one." (Taps one of his batteries, then plays Lava Axe) "Catch! Take 5" (Untaps then retaps Timmy) "Take another one." (Then taps his other 3 timmys.) "Take 3 more...."

Elves are walking mana makers, which makes them my friends.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I guess the real question is how many people are playing? Direct damage might be viable in a 3-4 player game, but after that, there simply aren't the resources to neutralize every threat. And since you've already made enemies out of everyone on the board, if you can't neutralize every threat, you're done for.

I have a Pestilence deck that works pretty well, but only until someone Summoning Traps an Eldrazi Titan into play. Then it's "Hey Syd, die."
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

If he's spent 15 years perfecting a direct damage deck and it's running mana batteries and Lava Axe, he's clearly still got a lot of work to do.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Our group is 4 people.

When I say batteries I don't mean:

I don't mean this:

I mean ones like the dual color lands that you can pay 1 and tap to add counters to, and then tap to use. At the end of turn just prior to his, if he didn't need the mana he saved he feeds the battery lands. (And, timmies the crap out of everyone.)
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, direct damage is viable at 4 people.

My general weakness is that my decks are almost always geared towards 6+ people games, since at the height of my gaming, that's what we usually had. As a result, my decks tend to be slow and can't respond to aggressive decks in smaller games. They also tend to run at least one combo as a win condition, because the longer a game goes, the less likely it is that you'll be able to win with creature damage.
APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played in a while but the deck i used to run with broke a large portion of these rules. The eye of Sauron is sometimes missed... but not often.

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I miss your Dream Halls deck.
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 09:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, I'm kinda glad I don't play with you guys anymore. I mean, the playing and socializing was great, but I don't miss your False Cures Syd or Jeebus playing with himself for 20 minutes in response to me killing a 1/1 on his side.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 30 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You'd especially hate it now. No one even plays Wrath anymore. Now everyone's into Final Judgment.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
You'd especially hate it now. No one even plays Wrath anymore. Now everyone's into Final Judgment.

So, is there any way to protect creatures from that, like Phase them or something?

And, does anyone manipulate all of the exiled creatures afterwards?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ghostway will save them. No, there's no way to manipulate them once they're RFG'd.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Do not use cards in your graveyard to represent counters/tokens. I don't care if they're facedown. I want to see what I can reanimate so don't bs me by "forgetting" that 2/2 bear token is actually a morph creature.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there are lots of ways acually. That's why they changed the term"Removed From Game" to "Exiled", because there are so many cards that can use them, that they are not really "out" of the game. I was just wondering if anyone had a strategy attached to using Final Judgement other than just simple creature removal. Like if it was part of a Mirror Of Fate combo, or something.
Reply to topic

Jump to: