SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Did Nintendo have Gunpei Yakoi Killed?

Reply to topic
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 06:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1 BAN for mentioning it, 1 site was threatned and a 3rd refuses to mention it...

the MURDER of Gunpei Yahoi

On October 4, 1997, Yokoi was killed in a car accident. After a minor fender-bender, Yokoi and Nintendo associate Etsuo Kiso pulled over on a freeway and exited their car to examine the damage, when two cars struck their vehicle, fatally crushing Yokoi

sounds fishy doesn't it?

What's Nintendo's Motive for having him killed?

1. Gunpei created the Game Boy,Metriod and the D-pad but also the Virtual Boy
it was such a flop they basically just gave Gunpei busy work as punishment. When
he left he was killed as revenge for costing the company millions due to the Virtual Boy Fuck up.

2. He knew something that no longer being with Nintendo was dangerous to Nintendo's existance. The Wonderswan which gunpei had a hand in could have outsold the Gameboy Color in Japan becuase of the knowledge he had and being with Nintendo for 20 plus years they couldn't just let him give his ideas else where so they had him killed to keep Nintendo's secrets safe.

Obviously Japanese police never investigated the crime becuase Nintendo had the police in their pockets and probably have some Yakuza influence as well.

My theory appears to be common.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 02 2010 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your theory is stupid...and this is in the wrong area.
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 06:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 02 2010 06:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That article is VERY poorly worded, and it's en.wikipedia. So for me to trust that over his actual article on there:

"On October 4, 1997, Yokoi was killed in a car accident. After a minor fender-bender, Yokoi and Nintendo associate Etsuo Kiso pulled over on a freeway and exited their car to examine the damage, when two cars struck their vehicle, fatally crushing Yokoi."

That's a pretty LARGE coincidence to be crushed alive under a car. Also, if they're going to kill someone, why would they do it by car crash? There's about 100 other ways to make it look like an accident, and a car crash leaves a LOT of room for error. Also, the other guy survived but was injured...so unless he was in Nintendo was in his "pockets", it doesn't make sense because he too was at risk. See, when you break it down...you see a lot of holes in your theory.
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 06:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He was a Nintendo employee of course he'd survive
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: May 02 2010 06:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First off...you're retarded.

Second off...you're retarded.

Third, this is in the wrong section.

Fourth, there's no evidence whatsoever of foul play. He was in a tragic accident, it's that simple.

Fifth, there's absolutely no reason they'd want Gunpei gone. He was one of their brightest minds and best creators. If Nintendo killed off people who made products that flopped, there'd be nobody left at the company.

Sixth, a Wikipeda discussion page is about the least reliable thing you can pull up for evidence.

And finally...you're retarded.
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just because he flubbed up on the Virtual Boy, doesn't mean Nintendo wanted him whacked. Corporate conspiracy bs is something people who wear tin foil hats and store their urine in glass jars do.
And besides, Nintendo is a giant and every company needs at least one fuck up. It's just a marketing practice and I'm sure it was bound to happen... And didn't Gunpei resign on his own free will and wasn't ousted by nintendo officials?
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This topic was far more amusing at Digit press and Magicbox...
TARDISman
Title: Time Traveller
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:
Just because he flubbed up on the Virtual Boy, doesn't mean Nintendo wanted him whacked. Corporate conspiracy bs is something people who wear tin foil hats and store their urine in glass jars do.

Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! If you say that out loud you'll give us away!

RIP Hacker 1993-2014
"Paint me like one of your French Squids" -My buddy on Relm vs Ultros.

Slayer1
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TARDISman wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:

Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! If you say that out loud you'll give us away!

NO! THE PEOPLE MUST KNOW!
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=101670&page=2

read though I'm not the first person to have this idea.

and linked. on that thread page was this Gem

http://blog.rocketboom.com/post/49294248/the-complete-history-of-nintendo

So even from their beginings as Hunafunda Manufacturers Nintendo has had Yakuza ties.

http://brotherwormgear.blogspot.com/2009/06/nintendo-and-yakuza.html
Slayer1
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just throwing this out there.... if you can name one company that DOESN'T HAVE criminal ties at least once in their history, then I'll consider this theory...
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Better Business Bureau

.....wait

Also you think just because some Sega nerd beat you to the punch with your theory means you're onto something?
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No I'm just saying I'm not batshit looney.

Nintendo's ties are likely with these guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aizukotetsu-kai
Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Internet rumors are awesome.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Let me just quote someone who you fucking linked us to:

"Before you start writing any books about some grand conspiracy by Nintendo to murder their former software engineer, keep in mind that the Yakuza was involved with Nintendo OVER 100 YEARS AGO. Also, back when the Super NES was released in Japan, the Yakuza was actually responsible for stealing shipments of Super NES consoles and selling them on the black market. That hardly sounds like a great alliance to me.

Also, I'd doubt Yokoi ever received any royalties from the Game Boy brand. I don't ever recall hearing about any hardware creator or software creator getting royalties of any kind other than credit for making the product. Even if he did, the royalties would probably end up going to his family.

Now finally, Gunpei Yokoi died from a car accident. There were several witnesses that were there. He was in the passenger seat and the car was being driven by a friend of his who worked at Nintendo. Either they hit a car or a car hit them. It was a minor accident and when Yokoi and his friend went to investigate, they were sideswiped by a passing car. Yokoi's friend suffered from whiplash and other injuries while Yokoi died in the hospital 2 hours later. The police confirmed it, and I'm sure they down the names of the person who was in the first accident and the person who hit them and questioned them. There was no murder. There was no reason for murder. In fact, I never even heard anyone in the world suggest this before today. Case closed."

And yes, you're batshit insane. Keep eating that bat shit.
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This theory is about as likely as a giant ice cream ball smashing Earth into oblivion right after someone sees this post.

Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

one page later

Quote:
The Nintendo employees in Yokoi's murder were part of the hit, duh. Proof of conspiracy right there. Who was driving the hit car? They didn't get his name did they? Another Nintendo employee.... a young man by the name of Satoru Iwata. Funny how he rose to power quickly.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, because they knew they were going to get in a fender bender, Yahoi was going to get out of the car and get into position be to crushed by the car. And the other guy was going to be severely injured as well.

Very very improbable.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 02 2010 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know why Yokoi was in a car with a Nintendo employee? Because they were friends. Yokoi had a lot of friends at Nintendo, including past and current Nintendo golden boy Shigeru Miyamoto. He remained close with them after leaving the company. Also, he wasn't fired, he quit. When Hiroshi Yamauchi stepped down as Nintendo president and Iwata took over, Yokoi would have been brought back into the fold, if not at Iwata's own initiative, then at Miyamoto's behest.

More importantly, the Virtual Boy, while disappointingly unsuccessful, was of no real consequence to Nintendo. The Game Boy was still the dominating force in handhelds and the SNES was still quite profitable when the VB flopped. Since the NES days, there has not been a single moment when the company was in any sort of financial trouble. The Nintendo board was always been fiscally conservative, and the company has a huge rainy day fund. The idea that Nintendo had Yokoi killed over the Virtual Boy's failure is ridiculous. The failure had no longterm effects on the company, and few short term effects. By 1997, certainly, Nintendo no longer cared about the Virtual Boy's failure. As for the Wonderswan, I doubt Nintendo was worried about it. Competitors had released technologically superior handhelds before (Game Gear, Lynx) but none of them had ever managed to capture the success of the Game Boy and GBC. They had no reason to believe that Gunpei's vast knowledge of Nintendo hardware would give him any sort of competitive edge in designed a new handheld. Also, aren't technical specs generally published in the hardware manual?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: May 02 2010 09:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also you misspelled his name twice.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Godofhardcore
PostPosted: May 02 2010 09:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen enough sopranos episodes to know friends aren't above whacking friends
Slayer1
PostPosted: May 02 2010 09:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But it's also sopranos... that's like saying in japan all the cars can become giant robots and fight godzilla on a daily basis...
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: May 02 2010 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They don't?

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Slayer1
PostPosted: May 02 2010 09:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not since the Great Giant Robot Vehicle Vs. Godzilla ban of '98
Reply to topic

Jump to: