[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Cleveland Indians most hated team in baseball

Reply to topic
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 09:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=13028&format=html

I guess there's only one thing left for them to do...win the whole fucking thing.

Red Sox are second-most hated, which only shows there's something completely fucking wrong with this country.

Giants are most liked, which doesn't shock me at all.

If anyone can find the actual list, that'd be awesome.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I read this story yesterday. Didn't post it because I find it highly suspect.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, this is kind of misleading. First of all, the poll was taken asking if you had positive, negative, or neutral feelings towards a team...not necessarily hatred or love. Also, the study gauged fan reaction to THIS season only. They did the same thing in the preseason and some teams changed up to 15 ranks either up or down in a matter of weeks.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/giants-as-tops-among-baseballs-sentimental-favorites/

You could take 'negative' to mean do you think they suck or hate them? That's why Cleveland is down there. Astros are also very low. That's not because people hate that team...it's because they suck.

Yankees are definitely the most hated team. Fuck the Yankees. As a Red Sox fan, I can also understand why they would be high on the negative list. There's usually a backlash towards a successful team, especially with fans that can sometimes be *ahem* obnoxious. They're nowhere near the level as Yankee fans though.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
They're nowhere near the level as Yankee fans though.

What planet are you from?

Growing up in Central Connecticut and living in Boston for 5 years I feel qualified to state that I have seen both sides and live in the middle of the war. Red Sox fans are equally crazy and devoted to their team as Yankee fans. They do crazy shit and Boston as a whole is a much more hostile place for Yankee fans than New York is for those who like the Red Sox.

In addition the conduct at the ballparks is equally terrible. In both locations wearing a jersey or hat of the opposing team could lead to physical harm.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:
They're nowhere near the level as Yankee fans though.

Growing up in Central Connecticut and living in Boston for 5 years I feel qualified to state that I have seen both sides and live in the middle of the war. Red Sox fans are equally crazy and devoted to their team as Yankee fans. They do crazy shit and Boston as a whole is a much more hostile place for Yankee fans than New York is for those who like the Red Sox.

In addition the conduct at the ballparks is equally terrible. In both locations wearing a jersey or hat of the opposing team could lead to physical harm.

Fuck! Excuse me. I'm from Earth, by the way.

You get to use your personal experience as evidence, so I get to as well. In my experience Yankee fans are more obnoxious, that's my opinion. I'm not saying Sox fans aren't obnoxious; they obviously are.

I've lived in both Sox and Yankee territory. I lived in upstate NY for 10 years (fan base was basically split evenly between the two teams) and Manhattan. I have lived in Arizona, Missouri, Washington state, and now Nevada. I have been to Fenway at least 100 times, and to the old Yankee Stadium at least 20 times. In my experience Yankee fans are motherfucking prick asshole scumbag jerkoffs that beat their wives. Hey, just my opinion. Sox fans can be described as drunk and obnoxious, but at least there's usually some good humor in their obnoxious behavior. Both teams are hated, and a large part of that is because of their fans. Yankees are hated more though.

Every city I've lived in has fans for both teams. Who are the biggest dicks? Yankee fans. Who are the bigger bandwagon jumpers? Yankee fans (though the Sox have plenty of those fans as well). Who are more likely to disappear when their teams sucks balls? Yankee fans. Who do most non-Yankee and non-Red Sox fans hate more? The Yankees. Who's fan base has double the rate of STDs than the general population? The Yankees. Who can go fuck themselves? The Yankees. Do I enjoy answering my own questions? Yes I do.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
In my experience Yankee fans are motherfucking prick asshole scumbag jerkoffs that beat their wives.

I'll remind my father of that fact the next time he and my mom are cheering on the Bombers.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, they don't need reminding. It's in their DNA. This Is A Joke

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Oh, they don't need reminding. It's in their DNA. This Is A Joke

Thank god it isn't hereditary... RIGHT?!?

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 01:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, I had no idea people still cared about Baseball.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 03:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:

GPFontaine wrote:

Doddsino
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:

Baseball is awesome. I stopped caring during the late 90's, but I've picked it back up around 2001. To me, I've always considered it to be the most enduring sport, but that can easily be debated, however out of the big 3, you need to have awesome reflexes in order to play, which could be said about basketball and football, but I don't think it's on par.

My top 5 hated teams;

5. Cubs (not so much hate as I just really like to see them fail)
4. Red Sox (post-Pedro/2004)
3. Giants (mostly just Bonds)
2. Yankees (this needs no explaination)
1. White Sox (hated them since I was 4, always hated Frank Thomas)
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 07:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, I just wanted to make the Major League quote
Doddsino
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shut up Dorn...
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt many locations are as hellbent as Philadelphia in terms of sports fans, they make South American soccer fans look tame at times.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Baseball is my favorite sport, because it's the most interesting. It's the only major sport where a team can't mathematically eliminate themselves from winning before the final out. In basketball, soccer, hockey, and football, you're not just playing against another team, you're playing against a clock. If the Patriots are down 49-6 in the 4th quarter, they are fucked. There is simply not enough time for them to run the plays necessary to take the lead. In baseball, there's always that chance, that glimmer of hope. And sometimes it happens. And when it does, it's magical.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: May 01 2010 05:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
I doubt many locations are as hellbent as Philadelphia in terms of sports fans, they make South American soccer fans look tame at times.

Yeah this is true. Philly fans are the worst fans in the world, bar none.

Baseball is OK, and I loved it when I was a kid before the strike in the 90s and never got into it again after that. What I never understood is why they need to play hundreds of games. It's a bit silly to me when a team is 59-59 and talking playoffs.

I do love playing it though. I just prefer the NFL because to me, it's consistently more exciting and I have much more of an attachment to the 49ers than I do any Baseball team, probably because my father was never into Baseball, but is a huge 49er fan so the same thing just trickled down to me.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 01 2010 09:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Baseball is a passion in the northeast. It really wasn't so much in the bay area. Maybe that's why they were the most liked teams: nobody gave enough of a shit to hate them.

Quote:
Baseball is OK, and I loved it when I was a kid before the strike in the 90s and never got into it again after that. What I never understood is why they need to play hundreds of games. It's a bit silly to me when a team is 59-59 and talking playoffs.

Because they can. It's not as physically demanding as football or basketball and therefore they can play long stretches of games. And besides, the more games you play, the more likely it is the best team comes out on top.

For the record, the season is 162 games long, It's VERY rare for a team to make it in with an .500 or worse record (it can happen, but it's a LOT rarer than a sub-500 team making a playoff in any other sport), and the MLB playoffs are still the hardest ones to make by a long shot.
Izzy
Title: Mascot Gold
PostPosted: May 01 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=13028&format=html

I guess there's only one thing left for them to do...win the whole fucking thing.

Red Sox are second-most hated, which only shows there's something completely fucking wrong with this country.

Something to do with the team spending the second highest amount in the league being the loudest complainers of the team spending the highest.
I think the Boston thing started because they have become the most visible in the last 5 or so years around the entire nation. As someone pretty far removed from New England I can tell you it's freaking annoying to see these dbags where a Red Sox hat when they've probably never set foot in Fenway and just have a slightly higher chance of ever being to a Sox game anywhere.
And the poor, underdog, loser angle got old before they took care of business in 04.
You want to know real pain? You want to know what it's like to have an owner who doesn't give a shit about success? Root for the Pirates, that will make you weep. Thank God for the Steelers and the Pens.

BlazingGlory
Title: KANE LIVES IN DEATH!
PostPosted: Jun 04 2010 09:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, had to add to this one. Growing up 30 mins away from cleveland, I grew up as an Indians fan. To be quite honest, it's been quite depressing these past couple of years, but I can't say I hate them.

The real reason I'm adding to this is that, well, they may very well be the most hated team in baseball after "the umpire incident." It was not their fault, but I'm still hearing a lot of flak aimed at them.

And just to add to the Yankees vs Red Sox debate, the general consenus around here is that the Yankees are far more loathed than Sox, primarily because of their fans, but also out of jealouy of the much deeper pockets of the Yankees.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 04 2010 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

luckily, as a dodger fan, most people dont hate the dodgers. they can take it or leave it from what i see

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jun 06 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Coming from a family that had six different guys of varying ages arrested at either Phils or Eagles games and me left crying with my mother during one of those times, yeah... Philly is hostile as shit. But really, I don't give a fuck about baseball, hockey, soccer, basketball, football or fucking moopsball for that matter. Of course, having no natural inclination towards those games and a short attention span never helped me. I do love the Philly Phanatic. I just wish that the Phils would've wom the Series sometime between when I was born and when my father died so I could've seen him scream happily instead of angrily at the TV.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 07 2010 02:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think if there's ever been a team I turned on faster from love to hate, it was the 1997-1998 Marlins. Here's a team I used to love...literally lost it when they won the World Series, I was so happy. Then the next year, what do they do? They get rid of basically everyone. No real good reason for it, they just figured they would. Even got rid of Moses Alou, who won the fucking Series for them. I said fuck it after that and never looked back.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 07 2010 07:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
But really, I don't give a fuck about baseball, hockey, soccer, basketball, football or fucking moopsball for that matter.

no moopsball?! sigh....
Doddsino wrote:
I think if there's ever been a team I turned on faster from love to hate, it was the 1997-1998 Marlins. Here's a team I used to love...literally lost it when they won the World Series, I was so happy. Then the next year, what do they do? They get rid of basically everyone. No real good reason for it, they just figured they would. Even got rid of Moses Alou, who won the fucking Series for them. I said fuck it after that and never looked back.

i remember that. such bad management by the GM's. that was so retarded

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Jun 07 2010 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Doddsino wrote:

i remember that. such bad management by the GM's. that was so retarded

It wasn't bad management by the GMs. It was all based on finances. Despite winning a World Series the Marlins still couldn't sell out their stadium. They couldn't afford to keep all their good players because they did not bring in enough revenue. The same thing happened in 2003 after the Marlins won.

Teams like the Marlins have to take advantage of a small window of opportunity before their players become too expensive. They've been fortunate enough to do so twice the last 15 years.

That's how baseball is set up, unfortunately.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 07 2010 01:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with that is, why should a be a fan of a franchise who gets rid of all it's franchise players? There's other ways of going about it without literally selling off your best ticket-selling players. If you don't have the funds to pay your players and can't sell out your arena despite winning a World Series, you shouldn't be able to own a team. I remember a few years ago that a Marlins game attracted around 500 people altogether. Maybe the fans know that the GMs don't give a shit about the team, so why should they? I know they have one of the best farm leagues in baseball, but honestly given the fact that they have won 2 World Series in 13 years, it's any wonder how much more of a threat they could be if they weren't so goddamn stupid.
Reply to topic

Jump to: