[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Baseball? Anyone?

Reply to topic
S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Dec 05 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone here a baseball fan?

I just needed to vent for a second.

THE SOX JUST GAVE JD DREW 5 YEARS, 70 MILLION. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

The wouldn't pay Damon 4 years/40 million, but they'll give the second coming of a "Manny being Manny" attitude SEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS to not run out pop flies and swing half-heartedly at curveballs for the next FIVE YEARS?!?! WHAT THE FUCK?

The Boston fans are gonna eat him alive. Thanks for killing our salary cap, Theo.

/rant

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 05 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I watch baseball sometimes, though I'm not always interested in it.

I don't know about the player you're talking about (or almost any other), but I don't care much.

What I want to say is that baseball players are really paid too much.
14 millions a year is a lot. You'll never see that in ice hockey, where they even cancelled a season because they thought they were paying too much. True, it's less popular than baseball in the US, but baseball players' salary could be cut in half and I don't think it would change their life that much. I don't really care anyway, I think there's only the Blue Jays left in Canada.

I also think baseball could be more fun to watch if the players had to work a bit before they earn tons of cash (about 10 000$ a match currently).

Note: I'm not sure if my posts on topic, but the salaries is one of the things I think the most about baseball.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cut ANYONE'S salary in half and it changes their life. To us the difference between 10 and 20 million a year is nothing, but to them it's everything. Also they make that money because the fans are willing to pay that much in support for their team. Baseball also doesn't have a salary cap so they can make whatever.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you McCracken. Every off season we go through the Man-Ram is gonna leave rumors, but this year with the signing of J.D. it seems true and it sucks because Man-Ram is one of the best RBI men in the buisness and JD Drew is just a punk. I seem to remember him holding out and not signing with the Phillies because he wasn't getting offered enough his rookie year. I might be wrong though, but the point is, he's got a bad attitude and he isn't all that amazing. The bad attitude might not sound like much, but I think the 2004 Red Sox showed what a good club house atmosphere can do for a team. I don't mind Damon leaving so much, but it pisses me off more that they'll spend the money on Drew and they didn't on Pedro. He was some one that they should have never let go no matter how much he was asking for. Also, let's not forget how much this is gonna affect David Ortiz, he won't see nearly as many pitches without Manny there for him...
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Can't say I'm too big on the Baseball. It's called america's past time, becuase it takes so damn long to play!

Not to mention we are talking about a sport where you can have other people do your work for you (pinch hitters), and guys sitting around on a bench and making millions scratching their balls.

I met a Seattle Mariner a few years ago at a bar, and he was bitching because he was only making $750,000 a year. I looked him up on the internet later, because I had never heard of him, and he was like a 4th string picture. (Which means, he never plays. He just sits there and make 3/4 of a million dollars a year, and is bitching about it!

Personally, I think all pro sports have lost the point of the games. Nobody plays, because they love the game anymore. They play for million dollar contracts and sneaker endorcements...

I liked the idea of the XFL, because of the fact that everybody got paid the same, and got bonuses if they won. I think that should be true for all sports. Make them earn their money. Personally, I would rather see a teacher make 70 million over 5 years, then some steroid induced scratch-ass.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 02:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

In some sports (I say some because I don't know for baseball), players had to work hard for a rather low salary fifty years ago
while now they get paid high even if they don't do much.

Also, for what I said about cutting the salary in half, I meant I don't think their life would really be worse if they won half what they get now.
Simply imagine a player earning 20 millions a year. If they never had a 20 millions salary and got a 10 millions one instead, the main difference
compared to now would probably be less luxury (something like having 5 cars instead of 15).
And they wouldn't have much more chance to go bankrupt. Some extremely rich people manage to go bankrupt anyway because they buy all kinds useless stuff.

There should be a salary cap to prevent teams like the Yankees to pay 200 millions to their players. This is unfair for other teams.
Still, they were eliminated by the Tigers, which pays a total of about 50 millions to all their players. Take that Yankees Smile
The Nude Smurf
Title: Sweet'n-Friggin'-Sour
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 06:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As a huge baseball fan, specifically of the Mets...this offseason has broken my heart so far. Trading Bannister, not getting Lugo (understandable, as that many years for a player that's not needed long-term is ridiculous, but it still hurts), Barry Zito wanting a sixth year...it's a very strange time.

I'm only hoping for the best tomorrow. Why can't we sign Zito to a 5.5 year contract?
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
S. McCracken
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 06:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Nude Smurf wrote:
As a huge baseball fan, specifically of the Mets...this offseason has broken my heart so far. Trading Bannister, not getting Lugo (understandable, as that many years for a player that's not needed long-term is ridiculous, but it still hurts), Barry Zito wanting a sixth year...it's a very strange time.

I'm only hoping for the best tomorrow. Why can't we sign Zito to a 5.5 year contract?

You'll still get Zito; I'm pretty sure of it.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 06:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hope Martinez is able to recover from his injuries.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
The Nude Smurf
Title: Sweet'n-Friggin'-Sour
PostPosted: Dec 06 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:
The Nude Smurf wrote:

You'll still get Zito; I'm pretty sure of it.

I don't doubt it, but negotiations are going to be frustrating. The only wrench in the gear I can see is if they're at a stalemate, and some team just throws out a six year deal his way at about the same price. Then it'd be a matter of continuing to negotiate with a team in the city you really want to play in, or someone giving you the deal you want.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 01 2007 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken
PostPosted: Mar 01 2007 02:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Random Post Bump:

Excited Red Sox Fans Eagerly Await Debut Of Matsuzaka's 'Ultimate Galactic Dragon Gyroball Pitch Power Explosion'

...Oh, and Go White Sox!

Yeah, that pitch is going to be a total disappointment to the fans when they realize it doesn't exist.

The only person I'm rooting for on the White Sox is Dye. He should have been MVP last year and he whooped everyone else's asses in my fantasy league.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Mar 01 2007 02:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I read an article about the whole gyroball thing. It's cool, I guess, but it's ideally thrown sidearm, which makes my elbow ache just thinking about it. I have the feeling people are going to be disappointed by all this hype about a pitch.

If someone can throw a pitch that:

- Breaks a Bat
- Has 5-6 self-images accompanying it
- Makes circular revolutions while traveling the direct line to the plate
- Catches on fire
- is any of the other spectacular pitches from Baseball Simulator 1.000

Then call me.

RIP Hacker.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 01 2007 02:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Dye was oustanding, while Konerko was just ok, and Podsednik, Crede, and Uribe gimped out. I loved Pablo Ozuna. Besides coming through in the clutch, his effort was outstanding, and you could tell that he just enjoyed being out there. Plus, I was at Comiskey for both of his homeruns last year. Er, I mean the "Cell" or whatever name they're calling the stadium now.
S. McCracken
PostPosted: Mar 01 2007 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Yeah, Dye was oustanding, while Konerko was just ok, and Podsednik, Crede, and Uribe gimped out. I loved Pablo Ozuna. Besides coming through in the clutch, his effort was outstanding, and you could tell that he just enjoyed being out there. Plus, I was at Comiskey for both of his homeruns last year. Er, I mean the "Cell" or whatever name they're calling the stadium now.

Being the fan of a team that is competitive every year and tries hard to win all the time makes me feel pity for people whose favorite teams couldn't care less about the fanbase.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 01 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, they care. They care that they're finally selling out most of the year, like that Hell-Spawn team, the Cubs.

And I'm still not used to having a competitive team...
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Mar 02 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Oh, they care. They care that they're finally selling out most of the year, like that Hell-Spawn team, the Cubs.

And I'm still not used to having a competitive team...

Don't worry. According to BttF II, the Cubbies win in 2015.

RIP Hacker.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 02 2007 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I'm concerned, that's too soon. I don't think I would be able to be anywhere near the city for months if that happened. Their glee would be sickening. I could barely stand being in Evanston when they made the playoffs in '98. Hopefully, they'll never make it in my lifetime, and considering the precedent, luck & fate are on my side.

I really wish I could be a fan of both teams, but Cubs fans ruin it for me. Plus, I'm one of the few people in the world who thinks that Wrigley Field is ugly.
Reply to topic

Jump to: