"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
JRA's wrestling inquiries.

Reply to topic
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He was Mordecai. He didn't get over so they dropped him as far as I know.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 01:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember his hyped up promo about taking on the "Evil" of the WWE and how Taz was pulling the whole "Who is he?" crap. Just one match I remember then he disappeared from the show.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 02:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was Kevin Fertig, who came up from OVW (WWE's development camp at the time) as Mordicei, but the gimmick bombed, and he wasn't ready skill wise to be on the main roster, so he went back to OVW, he then returned to the main roster as Kevin Thorn (A Vampire character) in ECW. After a while, WWE wanted him to drop the gimmick, use his real name, and become just a regular heel, which Fertig didn't want to do, so he asked for his release and left. Since then, he has been in the independants wrestling as Kevin Thorn and is using his vampire gimmick again.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I remember his hyped up promo about taking on the "Evil" of the WWE

Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed!
JRA
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 09:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One of my questions still stands:

6) This one isn't quite steeped in wrestling folklore, but has The Rock ever been in a movie that didn't suck?

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the Run Down...

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not every question needs an answer.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 07 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

when doink was evil ,he was awesome.

I want my wrestling gimmick to be "evil clown"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 08 2010 07:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Rundown was passable, mostly due to Walken, and Southland Tales was a beautiful mess. Everything else The Rock has done was crap.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Apr 08 2010 09:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA
PostPosted: May 07 2010 02:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

7) Exactly how does one "tell a story" while fighting in the ring?

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 07 2010 02:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

7. Good question. Have you ever seen a Hulk Hogan match? If you have, you know the routine. Hulk gets beat on by monster, Hulk "hulks up" does a quick beat down and then a pose down after winning. You can use this for a lot of babyface wrestlers.

Stone Cold on the other hand usually just laid the beat down on someone until there was interference of some sort then would proceed to whoop their ass too.

Tag team wrestling is sort of the same, babyface wrestler gets pummeled by heel team who keep the guy from tagging in his partner. After several minutes, the babyface is somehow able to counter the offense and get the hot tag in order for his partner to clean house and usually go from there.

As far as anyone telling a story, it's all about making your opponent look good. Shawn Michaels was amazing at this. Always selling like a pro and getting the fans worked up with the big moves. Like it or not, most fans love the same sort of storytelling, which is why you always see John Cena win his matches in the same fashion.
JRA
PostPosted: May 07 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

selling injuries you mean?

8 ) Ok, I've been hearing two conflicting stories about the fighting itself. One is the one everyone knows, that it's fake blah blah blah, but the other one is that the wrestling and fighting is real, but it's still somewhat premeditated and that if one of the wrestlers has a bad injury, the opponent will specifically be told to go easy on that area.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 07 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wrestling hurts. Plain and simple. There are some moves you can't fake. Wrestlers are trained on how to take the moves, and how to fall properly. They train all the time. When a wrestler is gone for any ammount of time from the ring, they have to re-train to get rid of what is called "ring rust". To make sure their timing is still correct when it comes to taking moves.

The only "real injury" rule is the "X". If the referee throws his arms up the air in a "X", then that means a serious (real) injury has taken place. The match is immediately stopped and the medics are brought out.

If someone is carried off on a stretcher after a huge beat down, they are just selling and are not really seriously hurt, unless the ref "threw the X."

Though, there have a been a few times where performers have been seriosly hurt and finished the match. Two of the most notible:

During the early rise of Stone Cold Steve Austin, he had an important match against Owen Hart. During the match, while Hart performed a piledriver, Austin was too low and took the full impact to the top of his head and neck. He received a "stinger", which is a spinal injury where your spine gets compressed and you are temporarly paralized. Instead of calling the match, Hart tried to buy some time for Austin to recover by showing off and drawing boos from the crowd. When it appeared that Austin wouldn't recover fast enough. Austin could only use his arms and his legs were useless, so Hart basically pinned himself by falling into a schoolboy rollup and Austin won the match.

2nd was Austin and HHH vs Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit. HHH mistepped and tore the quad muscle in his leg. (Tore it completely off the bone, and it rolled up his leg.) Instead of "X'ing" the match he told everyone to continue, and even allowed Jericho to place him in the "Walls Of Jericho" submission, which puts considerable strain on the legs.

Can't find the match, but you can see the injury happen in this video WWE made about HHH's recovery process:

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: May 07 2010 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As far as all the rumors of Triple H's power abuse, I still respect he would want the match to continue and get a proper finish than to stop the whole match for his injury.

JRA
PostPosted: May 07 2010 05:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

9) So as the story goes, winners are predetermined. Has any company tried not doing that, just thinking "You know what? Let's just see who really gets to pin count 3 first." Or would that be opening a Pandora's box of shit?

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 07 2010 05:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's called MMA.

I believe a company in Japan tried to do a "legit" wrestling legue and the injuries were overwhelming.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 07 2010 07:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
2nd was Austin and HHH vs Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit. HHH mistepped and tore the quad muscle in his leg. (Tore it completely off the bone, and it rolled up his leg.) Instead of "X'ing" the match he told everyone to continue, and even allowed Jericho to place him in the "Walls Of Jericho" submission, which puts considerable strain on the legs.

I saw this match live. You couldn't even tell that HHH had hurt himself. It was amazing.

Quote:

9) So as the story goes, winners are predetermined. Has any company tried not doing that, just thinking "You know what? Let's just see who really gets to pin count 3 first." Or would that be opening a Pandora's box of shit?

The closest I've ever heard of something like this is when certain wrestlers decide to "shoot", or go off script and fight for real. This is very rare since it's dangerous, they try and find an excuse to stop the fight right away, and you can bet it's gonna lead to a shitcanning. But, let's face it, if a 500 pound tub really wants to pin you, he's gonna.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 07 2010 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As far as legitly injured wrestlers completing a match, lets not forget HBK vs. Austin at WM XIV. Although I have the match on multiple DVDs, I could only watch it once--its just too fucking painful, and the way he just flat-out lays there at the end of the match still gives me chills.

For all of the (often fair) shit people give Shawn for being a douchebag who didn't want to drop the belt back in the day, he busted his ass at the expense of his own body to drop the belt to the right man in the right match when it counted. That's what will forever separate him from Bret Hart to me.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 07 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:

They did this. It was called the Brawl for All and it SUCKED. They got the "toughest" guys in the business and had a tournament to find out who was the toughest. While it wasn't wrestling, it was kind of MMA-like, most main eventers didn't apply and it was mostly made up of guys who just had a legit rep that they could knock you out.

Basically the entire tournament was set up around the idea that Dr. Death Steve Williams was going to win the thing, and he came close. However, Bart Gunn (of the Smokin' Guns (cowboy hats and all)) beat him in the semi-finals. So the Finals were Bart Gunn vs. Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw. Doesn't this just sound so interesting? Well the whole thing sucked...Bart won and because he basically did something he wasn't supposed to do (despite it being real), he was awarded a match against the undefeated Butterbean, who went on to beat the absolute shit out of Bart in mere seconds. Bart was released from his contract soon after.

Real isn't interesting. I don't care what people say, you cannot in any way have a wrestling format that isn't MMA and have it be legit, it doesn't work...it isn't interesting. And while I do enjoy some MMA, I prefer the theatrics of wrestling because I've followed it for so long. When WWF was telling their audience about this Brawl for All, they kept mentioning how it was real. So what I'm watching isn't real, but this is? That's why I despise Russo because he insults our intelligence by flat out telling us what we're watching isn't real. Imagine if you're watching a movie and the characters completely break character and turn back into the actors...that's not entertaining.
JRA
PostPosted: May 19 2010 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

10) Shawn Michaels going to TNA: Good idea or bad idea?

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 19 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

10. Not going to ever happen. Would it be a good idea? For TNA...absolutely. For Shawn...maybe...I mean you'd get a lot of good matches with people he's never faced, but Shawn essentially left in the absolute most proper way a guy could leave so I'd say not a good idea on his part.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 20 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hope Shawn can be stronger willed then Flair, Hogan, and the like. He had a perfect end to his career, and there is no reason he should ever need to set foot in the ring as a wrestler.

If he needs money in the future, I'm sure WWE would welcome him back with open arms, and he would make a great GM or Manager, and use his natural charisma to aid future stars.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 20 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Or he could become JBL's servant again...
JRA
PostPosted: May 26 2010 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

11a) Exactly how did Kurt Angle end up with the misfortune of having Steve Austin fans chanting "What?" ala Steve Austin during his promos?

11b) Why the hell didn't Angle just roll with them and turn his promos into Steve Austin promos? True it would have been ripping him off, but that's what the fans get for chanting it during Angle's promos in the first place.

Reply to topic

Jump to: