"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Pokemon Discussion Thread

Reply to topic
Zephyr_Arsland
Title: Wild Honey Pie
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've only played Red back in the day. My brother's a big fan though, must own all games AFAIK.

Why is it that in 2010 PKMN games still have those jarring 8-bit sounds for the Pokemon instead of something more lovable? Space constraints?

It's too late now because you haven't been PAYING ATTENTION.
http://zephyrarsland.deviantart.com

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Zephyr_Arsland wrote:
Why is it that in 2010 PKMN games still have those jarring 8-bit sounds for the Pokemon instead of something more lovable? Space constraints?

Either out of laziness or tradition because they like it that way, there is no reason other than that.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Doddsino wrote:
Why is it that the newly drawn Pokemon have looked crappy since Series 1? Everything just looks so simplified after the 1st. Personally I think the series peaked with Gold and Silver and didn't like anything after that.

That's funny you say it, considering the same guy did every design for the first two generations of games.

Also, each game starts out in its own region, though not having played G/S/C I know it was unique for those games that you actually went back to the Kanto region in addition to having its own region (Johto). Furthermore, the Orre region in Pokemon XD and Colliseum were based off the SW United States.

If they did go with a new country for its basis (Kanto, Kohto, Sinnoh, and Hoenn are the current 4 regions--each inspired by a similar named region of Japan) I wouldn't mind them handling South America.

so your theory is that just like how different reigons of earth have different flora and fauna, different areas in the pokemon world have different pokemon?

that's actually pretty smart. I never would have thought of it that way.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 02:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
so your theory is that just like how different reigons of earth have different flora and fauna, different areas in the pokemon world have different pokemon?

that's actually pretty smart. I never would have thought of it that way.

It's not just me theorizing, it's really what those guys decided to do after Red/Blue/Yellow (Kanto region) was such a hit. In fact, a few of the pokemon they introduced in the 4th generation (Sinnoh) can only evolve when they're in a certain location:
* Nosepass and Magneton only evolve into Probopass and Magnezone when you level them up inside of Mt. Coronet.
* Eevee only turns into Glaceon (Ice type) if you level it up around a certain spot within an evergreen forest with a raging blizzard.
* Eevee only turns into its other G4 evolution, Leafeon (Grass natch) if you level it up around a mossy rock inside of Eterna Forest.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Adrock4
Title: Mostly Lurks, Now
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 03:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If any of you guys played past Gold/Silver, I will be severely disappointed in you.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wanted to try generations 3 and 4, and choose Emerald and Diamond. Completed the Elite Four, then got tired of them.
There's just too much stuff I don't give a shit about, and too much stuff making collecting all those Pokemon nothing more than a fucking pain.
And it's too easy. You shouldn't be able to clear the Elite Four with 1 good Pokemon, and 5 Pokemon only used as cannon fodder.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 06:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Glaceon? Jesus, how many different Eevee evolutions are there?
Sedix19
Title: ~Baffling Artist~
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vaporeon. Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, and Leafeon.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 07:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So no Groundeon or Flyeon?

Or can we expect those next
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:

I'm hedging my bets that we'll get two or three new "eeveelutions."
The remaining types are Bug, Ground, Flying, Fighting, Rock, Dragon, Poison, Steel and Ghost.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

TARDISman
Title: Time Traveller
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Draceon and Fisteon

RIP Hacker 1993-2014
"Paint me like one of your French Squids" -My buddy on Relm vs Ultros.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see complete nonsense types. Like Fire/Water. Or Electric/Ground. Or Normal/Ghost, which would be immune to itself.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 01:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Doddsino wrote:

The remaining types are Bug, Ground, Flying, Fighting, Rock, Dragon, Poison, Steel and Ghost.

Steel is actually a Pokemon type. I assume that is like Magneton and such.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 02:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew Man wrote:

When they remade Red/Blue, they retyped Magnemite/Magneton as Steel/Electric.
Other Steel pokemon include Scizor, Metagross, Dialga, Bronzong, Mawile, and Empoleon. Steel is weak to Fire, Fighting, and Ground; resists Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark/Evil, and itself; and super effective against Ice and Rock.

lavalarva wrote:
I'd like to see complete nonsense types. Like Fire/Water. Or Electric/Ground. Or Normal/Ghost, which would be immune to itself.

And oddly enough there's no pure Flying type, its always paired with something else.

pineapple
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 02:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Scizor was one of my favorite Pokemon. I always had a hard time getting him though because of the whole trading thing.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 03:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew Man wrote:

Yeah, and Magneton totally sucked balls to fight against in Gold/Silver. It also is one of those Pokemon I would always catch and never use since it never really was that interesting.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 03:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I want this :

A TM shop. I don't want to have to figure out who between the 500+ Pokemon there'll be will need TM 82 or whatever.
I want to be able to set up my team however the fuck I want. I don't care if they sell the TMs for like 50000$, I just want a fucking shop.

I know some TMs are already available in shops, but half of them are useless crap nobody gives a shit about.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Yeah, and Magneton totally sucked balls to fight against in Gold/Silver. It also is one of those Pokemon I would always catch and never use since it never really was that interesting.

Meet Magnezone, Magneton's next form.
Actually a very nasty pokemon, it's got an insane Special Attack stat as well as its ability, which prevents the opponent's Steel types from switching out.

pineapple
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 04:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That looks so stupid.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

pineapple wrote:
That looks so stupid.

*shrug* It is what it is, a UFO with magnet cannons.

Here are the exclusives for each version of HG/SS:
Mankey/Primeape, Growlithe/Arcanine, Spinarak/Ariados, Gligar/Gliscor, Mantyke/Mantine, Phanpy/Donphan, Sableye, Baltoy/Claydol, and Kyogre
Vulpix/Ninetales, Meowth/Persian, Ledyba/Ledian, Teddiursa/Ursaring, Delibird, Skarmory, Mawile, Gulpin/Swalot, and Groudon

Barring any release events, here're the pokemon you won't be able to get in HG/SS or its PokeWalker courses:

Mew
Celebi (Allegedly the HG/SS release event pokemon. There's a whole bit of storyline involving having it that takes you back in time by 3 years and you get to fight Giovanni)
Regitrio AND Regigigas
Jirachi (Feb 27th-March 14, GameStop will offer it as a Mystery Gift. Unlocks a new area/PokeWalker course when traded over to HG/SS)
Celebi
Sinnoh Starters
Sinnoh Fossils
Drifloon/Drifblim
Glameow/Purugly
Stunky/Skuntank
Magnezone
Leafeon/Glaceon
Probopass
Rotom
Sinnoh Pixie Trio
Heatran
Cresselia and everything after her.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Mar 13 2010 08:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just a quick reminder that today is the last day to download the special GameStop Jirachi that unlocks the special PokeWalker course when transferred to HG/SS.

Also, to those who missed out on the Pikachu-coloration Pichu they were offering a while back, you can download it via Wi-Fi until the 25th. Simply go into Mystery Gift and tell it to receive by Wi-Fi.

Several Pokemon with exclusive moves can be obtained from the upcoming third Ranger game, Tracks of Light. Deoxys, Manaphy, Heatran, and Shaymin.

Getting back to HG/SS; if you're in New York City, there's going to be a release event centered around the Toys R Us in Times Square between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. including tournaments and discussion.

Lastly, Celebi looks to be the release day event pokemon for the HG/SS release tomorrow: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Front_page/Events

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Mar 13 2010 04:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering when this was going to get a bump, I've got mine reserved for tomorrow, looking forward to picking it up.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Mar 14 2010 06:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Goddamnit, I checked the page with the event pokemon and it's changed once again to Lugia for US and Ho-Oh for PAL. This has been like the 3rd revision. I'm assuming that whatever it is, that it will either be a location download (Toys R Us or GameStop) or a wi-fi download.

Once I get the game, one of my first goals will be reaching a point where i can start breeding for eggs so I can exchange them for the 530+ pokemon sitting in my boxes on Platinum.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Mar 14 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Doddsino wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is a pokemon from the emerald era pokemon that's both rock and water.

EDIT: It's actually grass/water - Lotad

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lotad_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 14 2010 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My sister just bought it, but she'll probably return it if it's only in French. It's hard to trust the translation when the title is abbreviated as Pokémon ASS.
Reply to topic

Jump to: