"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Suggestions for mini comics/sketchbooks

Reply to topic
AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As Lordsathien already knows, I'm still dueling on the thought of going to FWA (it's a convention) this year, specially since I'll be at my first week of my Spring Quarter class (second to last quarter for me by the way, but that's another subject). Other than financial issues, there's the issue that these types of convention drain me in a bad way.

Anyway, I believe this time would be completely different if I approach it as a business point of view only, which makes sense, considering I care little to none of the events that go in there, hence the emotional drain that I get from these (I always have a good time in anime conventions because I DO find things that I like). However, other than offering commissions, sketches and badges, I want to see if I can toss in mini comics and thematical mini sketchbooks for sale here.

Now here's the part where I need help.

At this point I would like to survey what kind of things would be interesting to see, for comics and themes that is. The catch is that I don't want to make stuff just for a particular fandom (that is, what I would sell in FWA I would also sell it on meets such as Fluke). While pandering to the fandom is an easy way to make a quick buck, it can be damaging in the long run as it becomes a creative crutch. While I do have some ideas of my own, suggestions will be appreciated.

As for the financial bit, I think I can cover it by finishing pending commissions.

Until then I appreciate any thoughts.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 06:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So you're basically saying that you want to make money at the convention without making stuff that you know will sell at the convention?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
So you're basically saying that you want to make money at the convention without making stuff that you know will sell at the convention?

I meant general material, not just furry stuff, but if things are gonna get that finnicky, might as well forget FWA altogether then.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 07:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose you could always go with standbys like wrestling, video games, meme saturation, etc.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 07:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, what LS said are basically safe bets. or just do a bunch of twilight crap and sell it to tweens

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
or just do a bunch of twilight crap and sell it to tweens

I'm not THAT desperate...
Reply to topic

Jump to: