"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
So, who wants to revive an E-fed??? :D :D

Reply to topic
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 22 2010 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who aren't aware, an E-fed is an online 'wrestling federation' in which forum members play characters, book matches, write shows, compete, and so forth. Syd mentioned there used to be on on the boards here many moons ago and I, as a huge e-fed fan (and three-time heavyweight champion of the Extreme Pro Wrestling fed, thank you very much Wink ), I was immediately interested. The group we have here would be a ton of fun to Fed with, I think, if we get enough interest and actual commitment/participation.

Now, as to what form the Fed competitions will take...unsure at this time. As I see it, we have three options (feel free to chime in with more if you have other ways you'd rather do it):

1. The way the Fed used to be as I understand it, the bookers book the matches, wrestlers write their own promos, and then the characters (which were pre-created in a wrestling video game--No Mercy, I think?--were put in CPU matches, and the winner was determined that way. I love this system if only because it gives you matches to WATCH, as opposed to read about--but its also a heavy time investment on the part of the bookers, and would be a pain to get everyone's character created and/or sent to the person who does the matches--who would have to be super reliable, since without them there would be no show, and no one could pick up the slack if he didn't do it.

2. The way we ran my old Fed was very story and writing centric. As someone who loves to write this was tailor-made for me, but may not appeal to everyone here. The way it worked was, the bookers booked the feuds and matches, then the participants in a match would write a short story about their character (usually 1000-5000 words, depending on the importance of the match), which could detail anything from backstage happenings, to training, to home-life, whatever. Then the bookers would judge the stories, and whoever had the best one won the match. The show was written almost entirely by the bookers (although the wrestlers were always welcome and encouraged to submit promos or video packages if they wanted.) This took a lot of effort, and would require a pretty decent amount of behind the scenes people depending on how many matches and backstage bits you need in a given match. This Fed was a ton of fun, I stayed in it for almost five years, and it was LOTS of fun reading everyone's stories and getting to see their character in such a cool and personal way.

3. The way I've seen Feds done most often is similar to the above, but rather than writing full stories, you simply write a promo--300 to 500 words ish. This is not my personal ideal because writing promos gets awfully old after a while, and there's not nearly as much creative latitude for your or your character as there is with a story. That said, its much easier to write, and the time investment is much shorter on the part of the wrestlers. I'd have no problem running the fed this way if its what everyone wanted.

Before we can run the fed though, we obviously have to see if enough people are interested in getting it off the ground. So, would you be willing to wrestle and/or be a backstage booker/writer for an e-fed if we brought it back? What kind of fed would it be that you'd like to participate in?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jan 22 2010 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HWA! HWA! HWA!

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jan 22 2010 04:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I participated in one of these a loooong time ago. Isn't there some program you use to fairly determine the match results?

I'd be interested, in organizing if not participating.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 23 2010 06:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in. But let me tell ya something brother, whatcha gunna do when Syd Lexia starts no selling your moves, hits the Culture Crush, and holds the title for sixteen months?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jan 23 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hahaha. I used to have fun editing those videos and finding music and everything. it just took FOREVER!

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well yeah, if Usa is volunteering to do all the work then I'm totally down for it.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 09:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in

Hawk, maybe you could convince fernin to make the bot do the matches and stuff

just a harmless suggestion

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm down, just tell me what I have to do.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would only be to part take in the first one, and maybe the third, just because of lacking time to really delicate time to writing a decent length rp to be competitive. Still, I would like to see the fed flourish, especially if it was the first idea, as I remember enjoying the old HWA videos. yeah, I am a loser like that.
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd can we get a usergroup?
I thought of asking to open the hugo wrestling army but i think it would be more fun to make a new one

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think we have nearly enough people to warrant a new usergroup. Not that many people will probably be stoked about it anyway.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 01:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

the HWA group is still around, just hidden, I think. It's probably just a matter of unchecking a box and pressing apply.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 02:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
the HWA group is still around, just hidden, I think. It's probably just a matter of unchecking a box and pressing apply.

Bah, we should have a new one.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm so far it seems like we've got four participants and two confirmed organizers. Its a start, but I'm not quite sure if its enough to warrant beginning just yet. I'd like at least six people participating, honestly--that's enough for three matches an episode (or a tag and a single) which seems to me like the bare minimum any fed should have.

Also, no one (except hacker) has chimed in on how they want to see the fed run (story writing, promos, etc.) Any preferences on this?

militarysignatures.com

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll jump on the bandwagon for this. If it comes down to technical stuff or something I'll gladly help.
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is a long-time dream of mine to enter the wrestling business, even if it is on internet form!
Count me in!

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 02:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I meant to join the last time, but I didn't have the time to create a character. This time, I'm totally in. And Syd, prepare to lose your title at the hands of Dr. Jeebus and his 10 cent Michigan deposit scam!

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like being able to watch the matches in 64 bit goodness, even though the AI doesn't know how play a 'speed-over-power' wrestler.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 05:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually extremely stoked for this.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in as long as I don't have to organize or sim matches. It took a long time to do, and with 2 kids and a full time job, time is a rare commodity these days.
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 03:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So Hawk, what's happening with this?
If you need help planning I can help

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i had fun editing the no mercy vids the few times i did it, so I guess I could help in that regard, if we used no mercy again, but I have two jobs and a child to care for, so I wouldn't be too reliable. I could at least ake my own wrestler and shit though.

there are lots of gameshark hacks and shit to change the wrestler's AI, I would like to keep in everyone's mind, BTW.

Thunderhorse
Title: This is DELICIOUS!
PostPosted: Feb 11 2010 01:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Count me in. Sounds like fun city.

This Is Tuna With Bacon

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 11 2010 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

For the record this is not dead. I just need some time to put a little bit more together, and talk to all my volunteers to figure out exactly how this would work. Plans are to take care of this this weekend.

militarysignatures.com

IceWarm
PostPosted: Feb 26 2010 01:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to be in a few of E-feds many years ago. The first one I was in was text based and we'd write promos and all that and then the guy running the fed would pick the winners based on the promos. Then a friend of mine in high school started his own fed. I kind of turned him onto the entire e-fed scene. We ran that fed the second semester of my senior year. Unfortunately after I graduated he stopped running the fed and we never really kept in touch after that. It was a fun distraction though during our computer programming class.

I then got into one on another forum that started off using WWF Attitude to create the wrestlers and have the matches. We eventually moved the fed over to WWF No Mercy because it had more match options. I remember once doing our version of the Royal Rumble PPV for the fed. It was a lot of work but it was really a lot of fun too. I have a text transcript of the event somewhere on a backup CD. I'll post it here if I can find it.

I really got into that fed. I even created pictures of action figures for most of the roster by photoshopping our logos onto WWF toys and so on. My biggest accomplishment in that particular fed was I won our version of the King of The Ring tournament. I was also in a stable called The Icons. This stable was made up of the original members of the fed. We were kind of the elitist stable that was sick of new talent coming in trying to take over the fed and so on.

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of time to invest these days with two jobs and so on however I'm interested to seeing how this turns out.

Also what would we use to determine the winners? I liked using the video games because you actually got to see the match and didn't have to come up with the play by play off the top of your head. Of course you're bound to run into many moves being used again and again when you set it to be CPU VS CPU. Also some matches took way too long to complete.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: