"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
WWE to increase PPV prices

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 02:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

From PWInsider.

"We got the following memo from a reader who told us that he works in the cable industry. According to the memo, WWE will do one less PPV show next year but raise the base price for each regular (non-WrestleMania) show to $44.95, one would think to make up for the missing revenue of the deleted show. "

This is to combat the problem that their buyrates have significantly gone down over the last couple of years. The way to fix it? Raise the prices!

It's like WWE is TRYING to fuck itself over. Good thing they've been expanding internationally, or they'd be really fucked right now.
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First they boycott free online streaming and then this. I guess I'm fortunate their product doesn't reach my country.
It makes me wonder if the whole thing that happened in the 90's is starting all over again as well.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As I've said on another forum, it's because they charge way too freakin' much for a one-time watch on PPV. Normal PPVs should be 19.99, and Mania should 29.99 or 34.99, not sixty or seventy freakin' dollars. With that kind of money, I believe you'd be better off trying to get cheap seats at any of those events if they're at or near your hometown.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 05:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

This could be a good thing, if people decide to buy the PPVs, but if any of the buyrates slide, WWE is going to be fucked again.

I mean who wants to pay for Cena/Orton-flag match for $50? Then proceed to turn around and do another gimmick match at the next PPV, it really loses it's flavor.

I miss the 2000 PPV line up....12 PPVs...12 months...you're good to go
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the thing. Most normal people don't sit home alone watching a WWE PPV by themselves. They get together a group of friends, and they all chip in for it. Or they take turns hosting PPVs. So you have anywhere from 4-15 people watching one purchase of the PPV. The WWE would like to get 4-15 purchases from those people instead of one. Since they can't, they raise the price.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don't plans like this have an historically low success rate?

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember when tehre was only like 4 PPV's per year.....Wrestlemania, Summer Slam, Survivor Series and the Royal Rumble, if I remember correctly. I think King of the Ring or something came in a little later. Those were the days.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Here's the thing. Most normal people don't sit home alone watching a WWE PPV by themselves. They get together a group of friends, and they all chip in for it. Or they take turns hosting PPVs. So you have anywhere from 4-15 people watching one purchase of the PPV. The WWE would like to get 4-15 purchases from those people instead of one. Since they can't, they raise the price.

This.

Also, they charge whatever they can get away with. They feel they can get away with this price.

Prices go up. Find a way to cope.
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do PPVs even have the same value as they used to? I don't really watch anymore so I don't know.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 04:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
I remember when tehre was only like 4 PPV's per year.....Wrestlemania, Summer Slam

I thought it was Summerfest?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was one of those who watched in a group. We all chipped in for the price and Wrestlemania was always $10 more than the regular PPVs. It was a thing you did at the end of the month and every wrestling fan I knew was there.

These became much rarer when they FIRST raised the prices. They would have not got our money years before this price raise. I'll stick with TNA here. Got forbid WWE improve their product before raising the price...

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Ba'al
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 09:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:

I'll keep pirating then in order to keep up, I'm not shelving out that much money for a PPV that most likely will be two and a half stars at best.

Quote:
These became much rarer when they FIRST raised the prices. They would have not got our money years before this price raise. I'll stick with TNA here. Got forbid WWE improve their product before raising the price...

Indeed, but TNA's been slipping recently on my liking scale, the show is literally Russo Championship Wrestling. God, I really wish SD! wasn't on such a crappy channel, I can't be counting on ECW to give me a decent show every week.

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They still show ECW? God just let it die.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ba'al
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They may as well rename it Velocity.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 10 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi wrote:
Got forbid WWE improve their product before raising the price...

Couldn't have said it better myself

SpraCoalee wrote:
They still show ECW? God just let it die.

ECW is easily the best wrestling show on TV, if the let it die, then I'm not longer watching. You might not be getting "ECW", but that was obvious when Vince brought it back, but with Christian putting on top matches every week, young guys like Yoshi Tatsu, and hell even Regal has been doing good for himself, it's better than Raw and Smackdown combined.
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 01:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Ice2SeeYou wrote:
I remember when tehre was only like 4 PPV's per year.....Wrestlemania, Summer Slam

I know there was an event called SummerSlam. Not sure if they changed the name to/from that.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 02:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
Ice2SeeYou wrote:

I know there was an event called SummerSlam. Not sure if they changed the name to/from that.

Pretty sure he was referencing this:

Jeremy Piven guest hosted the week prior and called it Summer Fest, Michaels goes on the next week and proclaims that he thought Piven was right..
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 03:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Ice2SeeYou wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
Ice2SeeYou wrote:

Pretty sure he was referencing this:

Jeremy Piven guest hosted the week prior and called it Summer Fest, Michaels goes on the next week and proclaims that he thought Piven was right..

Ah.....damn I ruined everything. Haven't watched WWF in 10 years or so.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't even realize that pay-per-view still existed.

I honestly thought that on-demand had replaced it.

Do they have commercials during these showings?

Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 03:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I didn't even realize that pay-per-view still existed.

I honestly thought that on-demand had replaced it.

Do they have commercials during these showings?

I think you basically just order PPV's through On-Demand.

I'm not sure if there was ever an actual company called "Pay Per View" that got usurped by the cable providers, of if PPV was always a sub-division of the cable providers or what.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:

Ah.....damn I ruined everything. Haven't watched WWF in 10 years or so.

I'm sure you're wondering what Shawn Michaels is doing dressed up as a chef...I'm sure it won't help to tell you that in the same sketch, he is referred to as "Hickenbottom" and superkicks a 7 year old girl.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 07:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
I'm sure you're wondering what Shawn Michaels is doing dressed up as a chef...I'm sure it won't help to tell you that in the same sketch, he is referred to as "Hickenbottom" and superkicks a 7 year old girl.

Which singlehandedly and permenantly ensures his induction into the wrestling hall of fame has the greatest of all time.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 09:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Doddsino wrote:

Which singlehandedly and permenantly ensures his induction into the wrestling hall of fame has the greatest of all time.

That sketch showed DX still has it at least Smile Not near as funny reliably as they have been in the past, but wow. That was as crazy as the "I just superkicked Stan!" moment. Laughing

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 09:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll say this...DX 2009 is FAR superior to DX 2006, which was just absolutely brutal to watch at times. They also helped elevate Legacy, so I'll give them props on that, especially Shawn who seems to be the most unselfish veteran on the roster.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 16 2009 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

I'll keep pirating then in order to keep up, I'm not shelving out that much money for a PPV that most likely will be two and a half stars at best.

If the quality of the product isn't all that great, then don't shell out the cash for it. If it's not worth it at the lower price, then it's not at the higher price. That's the very reason I never bought wrestling PPVs when I followed it...I knew it wasn't gonna be worth the money.

But since you're stealing the content anyways, who the hell cares what you think? In truth, they're probably raising the prices on everyone else to cover the losses for people who are ripping it off.
Reply to topic

Jump to: