"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Wrestling Titles

Reply to topic
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 01:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HHH's biggest asset in my eyes was that he was one of the best heels I've ever seen work. Could that guy ever piss off a crowd.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 02:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's a big difference between drawing good heat, and genuinely being disliked and/or hated by the fans.

HHH has been on both sides of that coin.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 02:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

True, and from what I hear, he's drawing X-Pac heat nowadays.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 02:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
There's a big difference between drawing good heat, and genuinely being disliked and/or hated by the fans.

HHH has been on both sides of that coin.

Not only that, but by the time I was done watching he wasn't even drawing heat from the crowd; he was drawing "boring" chants from the crowd. By the time I was done watching we would also count the number of matches in a 2 hour RAW. That number was frequently 3, 1 of which would either be a women's match or a 30 second jobfest, and 2 of which would end in DQ.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 02:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
I swear if I ever win a $200 Million+ Powerball I am either going to start my own Fed, or buy out TNA.

If you buyout TNA, hire me a writer and/or onscreen personality.

Here's the plan:

1. Fire Dixie Carter
2. Fire Vince Russo
3. Bring back Jim Cornette. Maybe not with booking power, but definitely as an onscreen personality.
4. Put Jarrett back on TV and back in creative.
5. Rehire Petey Williams
6. Moar Shark Boy
7. Fire Tazz, and put Don West back on the announce team.
8. More Jay Lethal. And play up the Black Machismo stuff again. His outfits have gotten disappointingly low-key.

Probably a lot of other stuff too. But those are 8 key points. #7 is the most important.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 04:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh oh, can I train and start my career as a wrestler there? Pweese?

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Any decent wrestling promotion nowadays would probably have to find some way to raise the dead to get some good matches.

I'd watch the World Zombie Wrestling Federation in a heartbeat (or lack thereof), even before you realize some of the talent you could "dig up".

"Pillman seems to be working a little stiff tonight..."
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Brian Pillman vs. Owen Hart in a Buried Ali-sorry....

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how well received a wrestler would be if his gimmick was to impersonate a random dead wrestler every show.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
I wonder how well received a wrestler would be if his gimmick was to impersonate a random dead wrestler every show.

If done in good taste as someone "emulating legends", and the wrestler in question was very good at it, it could go over well.

Done as a gag, it would go over like a lead balloon.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Oct 06 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Knyte wrote:
I swear if I ever win a $200 Million+ Powerball I am either going to start my own Fed, or buy out TNA.

If you buyout TNA, hire me a writer and/or onscreen personality.

Here's the plan:

5. Rehire Petey Williams
8. More Jay Lethal. And play up the Black Machismo stuff again. His outfits have gotten disappointingly low-key.

Probably a lot of other stuff too. But those are 8 key points. #7 is the most important.

This reminded me, do they still use Eric Young and Sonjay Dutt a lot? They were awesome.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Doddsino
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 05:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't had a chance to talk about it yet, but HIAC was one of the absolute worst PPVs I have EVER seen. I normally don't have a problem with title changes, but Christ...how many times is the WWE and WHT going to change hands this year? Orton and Cena keep throwing it back and forth and stat padding in the process, simply because WWE booked themselves in a fucking corner after they make Cena look way too credible, so they put the belt back on Orton since Cena doesn't have any real competition other than Triple H. That whole show is fucked.

And good FUCKING God, how awful was the opening match. A 10 minute domination by the Undertaker, who had one good leg in the match, looked like shit, no blood, and it was for the WHT. Ten FUCKING minutes! And how does this make CM Punk look? Like an absolute puss, he's Edge 2.0, never can win without a stroke of luck. There are very few credible heels on the roster, especially in the main event department.

But now, the only thing I'll be following is ECW, this seems to be the only show that WWE isn't fucking up. It's really sad the state of wrestling right now, almost everyone is stale, the only people who get elevated end up looking weak anyways and nearly all the main eventers have worn out their welcome.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 06:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
This reminded me, do they still use Eric Young and Sonjay Dutt a lot? They were awesome.

Eric Young is currently the leader of World Elite, a group of international heels who hate America. It's basically Team Canada 2.0, only with Daivari and some British guys instead of Robert Roode and Petey Williams.

Sonjay Dutt was released, unfortunately.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 08:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Valdronius wrote:

If done in good taste as someone "emulating legends", and the wrestler in question was very good at it, it could go over well.

As far as I remember, Charlie Haas did that last year, and he was actually well-received for it. Then he was drafted to SmackDown and rarely ever seen again.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

My wrestling fed's rules:

1. Hire talent based on in-ring skill, mike work, looks. In that order.

2. Only hire women that are trained wrestlers. (TNA is on the right track, but still have too many plastic barbie dolls that can't work.)

2. Listen to the fans. Durring the shows, I would make the writers sit out in the crowd to observe and listen to what the crowd likes and doesn't like.

3. Gimmick matches (Cage, HITC, First Blood, TLC, etc.) are only used as special fued ending matches, and even then only on PPV, and only once each per year or less.

4. Stat tracking for all wrestlers. Fans could go online and see the Win/Loss records for their favorite stars, and know how close they are to gaining a title shot, just as easy as a NFL fan can see team rankings to know if his team will make the playoffs or not.

5. Two divisions: Hardcore and Technical. There will be two divisions in my fed that each have their own set of rules and own titles. With the World Champion being champion of both.

5a. Hardcore divisions matches have the following rules. No Count Outs. No DQ for foriegn objects. No Holds Barred. Pins must be made in the ring.

5b. Technical divisions rules are as standard Pro Wrestling. DQs (Only at the ref's descrecion, Count Outs (20 Count), Pin and Submission to win.

5c. Wrestlers may wrestle in either division as they choose.

5d. The belt structure is thus:

World Champion
/ \
Hardcore Champion Technical Champion
| |
Harcore Tag Champions Technical Tag Champions
| |
Jr. Hardcore Champion (Think X Division) Light Heavyweight (Crusierweight)

Womens World Champion
/ \
Womens Hardcore Womens Technical
\ /
Womens Tag Team Champions

Both of the Division champions are considered the Number 1 contenders. Each PPV they alternate on which divison champion receives a title shot. So if on PPV A: The Technical Champion faces the World Champion, then there will be a Hardcore Champion Title shot on the same event. Also, all belts except the World Title (PPV defended only*) can be placed on the line at House Shows and on TV. The style of match (Hardcore or Technical rules) for the World Title is selected by the Challenger.

6. The fans are not idiots. No stupid cliches. If something happens on camera, then everyone knows about it. If someone tries to help someone else and accidently hits them instead, then by the next show the victim will have reviewed the tape and will know that it was an accident. (Though, they might still not forgive it.)

7. No "Dusty Finishes" for any Title Match. Ever.

8. The show is about wrestling first. All programs must have at least 80% of their time used for wrestling matches. Skits, Promos, Vignettes, etc can use no more than 20% of the show's time.

9. Let the matches tell the main story, and the rest will fall into place on it's own.

10. Heels can fight Heels and Faces can fight Faces at any time. It will not always be Face vs Heel.

11. There is no reason that any Owner or Writers needs to be characters on TV. The Owner can make anouncements and such, but they will not be part of weeking shows. (Think of the old use of the WWE President role, like Jack Tunnney had. Come out, make a ruling, and then leave.)

More later as I think of them.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would modify that to make all matches no-DQ like WCW did. Like you said, the fans are not idiots, and it's really irritating for stuff to happen "when the ref isn't looking" or "when the ref is unconscious". Also, I'm pretty sure heels wrestler heels right now, cause why not? It is true, however, that faces never wrestler other faces unless one of them is turning heel, or it's the very, very rare "mutual respect" match.

UsaSatsui wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

While fans aren't idiots (usually), I'd be very careful to completely listen to them and base my company solely on what -they- want. What the fans want to see may just not be the best thing for the business...remember, they have no financial stake in the company, they have no idea of what's going on backstage (some of them think they do. They don't), and they don't give a fuck about reaching new people.

I'd certainly listen to what they like and don't like, but I'm not going to run a company based upon public opinion.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well no, I'm not going to have the fans write the show. But, I'm going to read them on what is working and what isn't. Just becuase they hate some guy I'm trying to push, I'm not going to dub over their boos with cheering sounds, thinking I know best. (...Vince) They hate something, then we change it.

Also, DQs will be handed out very seldomly. The ref will have final say. If he knows that a wrestler is trying to get DQ'd on purpose to keep his belt, then the Ref will just laugh at him and continue the match. However, outside interference could still warrant a DQ, or at least a No Contest, because it's a valuable tool to build fueds if used correctly and in small doses.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Question: If a division champion wins the World Championship belt, do they vacate their division belt?

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 04:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the next two in that division's rankings get to fight for the belt at the next event, either TV or PPV.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Oct 07 2009 06:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Valdronius wrote:

See:charlie hass and Eugene and big show...and others

uncle joe
PostPosted: Oct 08 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

The long vs short reigns argument, I dunno. I get bored when someone I could care less about is champ for more than 3 months. Everybodies seemingly favorite time of wrestling (the attitude Era) the WWF Title got swapped around like mono, but it was great because you had no idea if that person would win or not.

What they really need is the TV title, and have that as a basis for the lower card guys. Then use the IC/US title as a trial run for potential Main eventers, like you know, how they used to do it before they inexplicably stopped.

Also, stop with the gimmick based PPVS, bring back King of the Ring, Halloween havoc like Syd mentioned. I would love to see them cut down on PPVs, but the fact is many wrestlers get bonuses for PPV. I remember Lashley saying that he made double what his annual contract was for the Lashley Umaga match at Mania (the trump/vince shit), just off one night. So while most of us hate the ridiculous amount of PPVs, truth is, a lot of wrestlers need them, so I guess its a necessary evil.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Oct 08 2009 09:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
Also, stop with the gimmick based PPVS, bring back King of the Ring

Sadly no
Doddsino
PostPosted: Oct 09 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I like how they're doing KOTR every 2 years now, and not even really establishing it as nothing more than a title...Regal had no followup other than the IC title and that was a garbage reign, and now on ECW where he's doing better but his matches aren't nearly as good. I don't know...he doesn't seem to really be needed in WWE anymore, especially given his addictions.

At least when King Booker won, he rolled with it perfectly and somewhat carried SD for a while. The KOTR should be treated with the same merit as the RR winner, give them a title shot at Summerslam (as long as their name isn't Mabel).

The problem with the gimmick PPVs is...they run thin. I mean do you REALLY want to watch 3 HIAC matches in one night? With no blood? With two title changes? How does that make the rest of the card look? Like CRAP!

I just want them to go back to their 2000 PPV line up...that was a great 12 PPVs.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Oct 09 2009 07:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd rather have Hell In a Cell, I Quit, Punjabi Prison match, etc done like once a year each. Save it for a match that can use a gimmick match to cement a great feud. 3 HIAC in one night dilutes the spectacle of the whole thing.

Reply to topic

Jump to: