SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Does anyone collect knives?

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
TheThunderThief
PostPosted: Nov 18 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really have anything hokey, a lot of my knives are folders...well almost all of them are. I like my knives a lot, just not as much as my guns. I'll list my knives by make and share some brief thoughts on each specific model, as well as a ballpark price I got them for in case you decide to make a future purchase:

SOG
Aegis: Kind of campy, has a digi camo handle w/ black coated blade, broad blade, functional rubber grip inserts, I carry it everyday. (This one was $55.72, so says the receipt)
Flash I: Very nice and small, great pocket choice. (approximately $30)
Flash II: Little bigger than the Flash I, as such it's better suited for more rigorous cutting tasks. (about $35-$40)
Twitch I: About the same size as the Flash I, with a more narrow blade and pointier tip. Meh, I got it cheap. ($30-$35)

Spyderco
Dragonfly: Tiny blade, strong lockback design, molded in pocket clip sucks, overall decent small bladed knife. ($35-$40)
Delica III (S30V steel): Design has been around a long time, IMO better than the newest Generation of Delicas, I don't like the Delica IV's blade shape. (expect around$40-$50)
Military: Expensive, big fucking folder, long blade has lots of reach, really sharp tip is a compromise as the tip is also kind of weak, Aesthetically pleasing/looks fucking cool. (got it in a trade, but expect $120-$140)
Centofante III: Affordable(about $50.00) smooth opening/closing, sleek/classy looking.

Cold Steel

American Lawman: Retard strong proprietary Lockback design, decent steel, a little heavy, slow opening. ($60)
Recon Scout in Carbon 5 Steel: Older model(new Recon Scouts use SK5 steel) Probably the best large wilderness knife I've ever owned great steel , holds an edge very well. (got mine for $85, but now that they changed the steel they raised the price, expect about $95-$100)
OSS: Purpose built fighting knife, average steel, cool grip, not very versatile (couldn't tell you the price, I got it for free)

KaBar
Heavy Bowie: Almost as good as the Recon Scout, but is at a lower price point. High Carbon Steel has great edge retention. ($45-$50)

(That's the only KaBar, I know...for shame Razz )

Buck
119 Special: This knife has been around forever, good outdoors knife, great quality for less than $40, not much else to say, it's a Buck knife. ($30-$40)

(Also only own one of these, I kind of want to get one of their slipjoint folders, everyone and their mother has one of those)

Benchmade
556 Mini Griptillian: Fantastic steel(154cm),costly, but well worth the price I fucking love this one. ( about $100 retail, I got it at cost)
585 Mini Barrage: Like all Benchmades, it's WAY too expensive, not really remarkable for anything, though it is strong, I'm in the process of selling it. ($120 not worth it)
740 "Dejavoo": I hate this knife, too fucking expensive($160ish), even moreso than other Benchmade knives, it's an overhyped spyderco rip off. (Don't even bother)
10700 "Nagara": Pleasantly affordable, Amazing quality for a "Red Line" Knife (Benchmade's imported line, similar to Spyderco's "Byrd" line) Comparable to the Al Mar Eagle in design. ($60, cheap consdering what Benchmade normally charges)

Al Mar
Eagle: "Gentleman's Folder" Slender, long reach blade (4 inches) made of AUS8A Japanese steel, surprisingly light for such a long blade, really classy looking. ($80-$90)

CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool)
Drifter: Fantastic quality for a $17.00 knife. Also, it's a $17.00 knife lol. (Errr...$17.00)

Ontario/Rat Cutlery/Randall Knives
SP10 "Marine Raider" I'd put it a notch below the Recon Scout and Heavy Bowie, still a great "large" woods knife. ($56.8Cool

And finally...

An Ontario M9 Bayonet!!! (at $140, I overpaid, should have been around $125ish)

The blades on these are really thick, as is to be expected from a weapon that's sole purpose it so gut somebody, and they come with a crappy "Utility edge" it's near impossible to get these things sharp enough to shave or do the tasks of a normal knife of the same size, as that isn't it's real function unless you happen to own a grinding wheel or a belt sander, you're stuck with the edge it comes with, I had to send it out to have the edge re-ground. I originally bought it for my Mossberg 590, though it will fit on any AR15 with a bayonet lug, it's mostly a conversation piece for me rather than a serious accessory, though if the zeds start to rise, I'm ready. Twisted Evil

Eddie_Hyde
Title: Ernie with the Disposal
PostPosted: Nov 18 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jeesus, I hope I never run in to you in a dark ally.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Nov 19 2009 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

You fucking shave with a bayonet? Who are you, Professor Badass? Surprised Razz

TheThunderThief
PostPosted: Nov 19 2009 02:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't tried shaving with it yet, though I'm sure I could now that it's been reground, though I have shaved with a similar blade for shits and giggles (A KaBar Fighting Knife 7" variety) It'll do it, just depends how awesome a shaver you are that will determine how good it looks. This guy makes it look easy, (he also makes some fucking badass neck knives):

Also does it with a bigger fucking knife:

Eithelen
PostPosted: Nov 23 2009 06:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a dirk, a Scottish dagger, for decorative purposes. I had my initials engraved on the blade. My best friend has a stage sword, which is not sharp but strong enough to be used, unlike most decorative swords. I want to find a black - bladed sword to look like an Unblade from Elizabeth Bear's novel Dust.
Blackout
PostPosted: Sep 08 2010 09:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know I've mentioned it before but my absolute favorite knife is this.

I really want a cane sword or one of the Japanese Katana cane sword thingamjigs.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 09 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent choice, Blackout. The Zatoichi katana cane is next on my list of sword purchases too Very Happy .

Also, that is a sweet looking knife.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

TheThunderThief
PostPosted: Sep 21 2010 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Went to a knife show Saturday, got three folders in trade for a Custom I didn't really want anymore, one of which I already own: a Spyderco Centofante III, glad I got it though, now I can use one of them without worry of thrashing it, it's so sleek.

As compared to my current EDC knife, the Kershaw Model 1550 "Blackout"(at bottom):

all by its lonesome:

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Oct 03 2010 08:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I collect knives as well, altough my collection as of now consists of four specimens.

The first is a Victorinox Camper Swiss Army Knife, which is basically my main knife for everything. I carry it around in my jacket / back pocket alongside a roll of industrial strenght duct tape, because I fucking love MacGyver.

The second one is my main survival knife and it's usually the first thing I take with me to the forest if I want to play in hard mode. It's a Gerber folding combat knife with an awesome liner lock.

The third one was actually smithed for me by a friend last summer. It's dull as fuck, but if I had a grinding wheel, the motherfucker would be deadly.

The fourth one I actually found. It's an utility knife-thingie with a blade, a corkscrew and a reamer. Pretty crap, actually.

I'll post pictures when I'll get a chance to.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 03 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I want a WWI Trench Knife!

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 03 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
I want a WWI Trench Knife!

Triangular blades are against the Geneva Convention.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 04 2010 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well technically so was operation Ranch Hand!

Blackout
PostPosted: Aug 18 2011 07:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to have a really nice switchblade bu a buddy borrowed it and got arrested and they took it from him. Haven't been able to find an authentic spring loaded one since then.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Aug 18 2011 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a few knives, nothing impressive as previously listed here but
A Smith & Wesson Cuttin' Horse folding knife with a Chisel tip and liner lock
A Gerber 3 inch lock black knife
A large Korean Cast Iron Fish Cleaver, brought back from a South Korean fish market by a friend who works as an engineer for the government
and a standard small swiss army knife

I really want a titanium dao sabre

SomeFourMenToura
PostPosted: Sep 07 2011 07:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I really want a titanium dao sabre

I'm pretty sure that its a precious kind of stuff. It must be some kind of a legendary collectables stuff that I myself also eagerly wanted to have.

By the way, I got a kitchen knife at my house and a Kamui Knife with a curvature blade that stuck on the flesh if stab.

And Captain Commander Yamamoto. It helps somewhat that his cane swords literally dissolves to reveal a normal katana rather than being a fancy blade.
--Kisuke Urahara Of Bleach--

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Dec 27 2011 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Like TT I have a Spyderco Centofante III
Actually I was searching around for a different Spyderco knife, I asked TT what he knew about it and he recommended me the Centofante III in its place because the knife I was searching for was discontinued.

I have plenty more random knives and I may get some pics up later but the pride and joy of my collection is my Zero Tolerance Shifter

Retailed at $130 I picked it up for $80 before shipping.
Specs on this page
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=564&brand=zt
Water Hamster
PostPosted: Mar 06 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just grabbed this.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Mar 06 2012 02:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is the second blade for extra stabbing on each stab?
Eh, works with razors.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 06 2012 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Mar 10 2012 04:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had a skyline. It's a good knife.

I say had because like two days later I went back to walmart and exchanged it for a Kershaw Leek

I've been considering going and getting another one though.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 10 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

More details Hack! Why do you like the Leek better?

I can see it has a tip lock and looks smoother in texture than the skyline. Additionally the clip is further up the handle towards an end of the knife.

Why did you make the trade off though?

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 10 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Water Hamster wrote:
I just grabbed this.

That's a dual linerlock, right? I think it's intended to be held in a split fingered grip and used for slashing (pointer and middle on one side of one curve, index and pinky on the other). If so, how sensitive is the release, and can you hit it accidentally? It reminds me of those brass knuckle folders they used to sell, probably still do. I know a guy who was fucking around with one and nearly lost all his fingers because the blade closed and went further down inside the knuckle guard part than he thought.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Mar 11 2012 03:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:

I can see it has a tip lock and looks smoother in texture than the skyline. Additionally the clip is further up the handle towards an end of the knife.

There were several reasons, most of them I don't remember but I do remember favoring the spring assisted opening above all else. Really nice quick deploy.

I think another reason might've been the blade shape
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 11 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

There were several reasons, most of them I don't remember but I do remember favoring the spring assisted opening above all else. Really nice quick deploy.

I think another reason might've been the blade shape

Assisted is nice. I have considered looking at an assisted blade... honestly though, they scare people who you aren't trying to scare sometimes.

I can carry the Skyline in work without anyone caring... I don't know if I was using an assisted blade if people would freak a bit.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Mar 12 2012 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've found that the only people scared by the leek are the people opening it who don't know that it shoots open.

I'll be honest on some levels I wish I kept the Skyline. It's a respectable knife that isn't gaudy or have a wildly unique shape or design that makes it look like you're carrying it to do any damage.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: