"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metroid: A Blind Run By Valdronius

Reply to topic
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Vald,

I never beat the original Metroid. I always thought it was a bit too clunky. Did you find that the controls were difficult to get used to after playing Super Metroid?

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great article Vald. I never had the patience to actually map that place out, so that's going to come in quite handy for me. (I've been on a Super Metroid binge recently, and have considered going back to playing he original, which I haven't done for several years.)

Thanks for the info and the inspiration. A great read all round.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This game scared the shit out of me when I was around five or six years old at times, any music that wasn't the Brinstar or Kraid's Lair music made me wet myself. The first time I encountered Kraid and Ridley I was scared and left the rooms immediatly. Later when I actually grew a pair and beat both and got to Tourian, I heard the boss music and I was "woah....". I encounter my first Metroid and get killed in less than ten seconds, I would never pick up the game again for five more years because of that.

Currently, I am a master of this game and know exactly where everything is(Usually). Metroid I love you, despite all the crap you put me through. You're like an awesome girlfriend.
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 06:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man, i have to read this one. Doing a blind run of any metroid is like video game hell. I wish that fate on no man, enemy or beast. The game was (still is) creepy as fuck and it is really easy to get lost. Plus farming for more rockets and energy is a pain.

I have been wanting to beat the game for awhile, using a map i found online here:

http://metroid-database.com/

However everytime i start to play and get half way something comes up to stop me from playing.

It's become one of those things I'd like to accomplish in life . . . if only my TV now could support an NES. And no, i do not wish to beat the game with emulation. I want to beat that bitch as hardcore as possible. No password, no turbo controller, only a map that gives me a vague idea of where the hell to go. It's up to my endurance from then on.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, reading this article, it makes metroid seem very very short.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Oh man, i have to read this one. Doing a blind run of any metroid is like video game hell. I wish that fate on no man, enemy or beast. The game was (still is) creepy as fuck and it is really easy to get lost. Plus farming for more rockets and energy is a pain.

I have been wanting to beat the game for awhile, using a map i found online here:

However everytime i start to play and get half way something comes up to stop me from playing.

It's become one of those things I'd like to accomplish in life . . . if only my TV now could support an NES. And no, i do not wish to beat the game with emulation. I want to beat that bitch as hardcore as possible. No password, no turbo controller, only a map that gives me a vague idea of where the hell to go. It's up to my endurance from then on.

If your TV can't support an NES I'm assuming either its old as fuck or newer. If it's new a simple $1 av cord from an electronics store fixes your problem. START PLAYING!

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 06:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
ReeperTheSeeker wrote:

If your TV can't support an NES I'm assuming either its old as fuck or newer. If it's new a simple $1 av cord from an electronics store fixes your problem. START PLAYING!

So there are converters! Hell yes, may the hunt begin!

ImageImageImage

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 06:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

not a converter, buta simple a/v cable. the old NES used a/v cables as well (the red & white)

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not a bad article Vald, a blind run of Metroid sounds painful: I spent countless hours lost in the labyrinths back in the day. And about the wave beam, it's worthless in this game so it's good you never got it. Oh yeah, for some reason there are two ice beams in the game. I've played this game many a time and have also made a playthrough on youtube for anyone who needs some guidance in the game. The article was solid. Keep up the good work Vald.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's 2 Ice Beams because the game expects you to get the Wave Beam, then get the Ice Beam back again before Norfair.
AJ Fox
Title: HylianFox
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
There's 2 Ice Beams because the game expects you to get the Wave Beam, then get the Ice Beam back again before Norfair.

yeah. You need the Ice Beam to kill Metroids, so if you get the Ice Beam and then the Wave Beam, you're fucked because the Wave Beam replaces the Ice Beam. So the game designers decided to put 2 Ice Beams in the game in case that happens.

Of course, if you grab both Ice Beams and then the Wave Beam... you're fucked in more ways than one.

but after finding the third dungeon first, I knew it was going to be bad.

I just wanna say, In regards to Zelda, the first three dungeons are piss easy. Don't be a quitter, Vald.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 01:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a quitter, I just have a low tolerance for aimlessness in video games.

If that thing I found was the second ice beam, where the hell is the wave beam?

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 06:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

First off, loved it.

Second off, I meant to ask... is the title header supposed to say Metroid: Two Decades Later?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 09:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never really liked the game, to be honest. Metroid is one of those games that I think was ahead of it's time...and I don't mean that as a compliment.

It's a great concept, but it's executed poorly, and most of it is simply because you can only do so much on an early generation NES game.

Compare Super Metroid, which is really a remade Metroid with added things such as saving, a map screen, the ability to change and combine weapons, and (OMFG!) ducking...and you get one of the best games ever made. Or if you want a more direct comparison, try Zero Mission, which -is- an actual Metroid remake, and much more fun to play.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Metroid was of several games originally designed for the FDS that originally had a save feature. Why they didn't implement a battery save instead of a password system for the NES is beyond me.

Also, it was awesome. Back in the day, it wasn't about speedruns or even winning. When I was a little kid, I accepted the fact that I wasn't good enough to beat most video games, but I was happy to try. Metroid was a fun game to explore, and I did beat it. I needed all the tanks and missiles to do it, but I did it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
jerknut
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Half the fun in metroid when I was a young kid wasn't to beat it, but to run around trying to find little secret passages that seemingly went nowhere. In this regard, Metroid had a whole lot to offer and was indeed ahead of its time. A lot of those games weren't very logical to 10 year olds, and I remember when my friend told me about the "justin bailey" code. That was the first time we actually beat the game (after being pwned by metroids a few times..... the wave beam was waaaay cooler than that stupid ice beam!). And the music in that game was killer.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 01:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I loved Metroid as a kid, but it frustrated me to no end. For some reason my maps always ended up with overlapping passages, because I somehow miscounted the rooms. I had to continuously backtrack and figure out where I added an extra room and redraw the map. When I found out that magazines like Nintendo Power published maps I refused to use them, because I had already invested so much time in my own map. Nowadays it's hard not to cheat and hit up GameFAQs for a walkthrough whenever I get stuck in a game.

Also, awesome article.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 03:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I meant to ask... is the title header supposed to say Metroid: Two Decades Later?

I'm not even sure at this point. I think the point was that I should have played this game 20 years ago, so the experience was 20 years in the making or something.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

AJ Fox
Title: HylianFox
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 07:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

oh yeah, forgot to post this...

http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/?p=740
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Oct 02 2009 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius, i have to say that was one hell of an article. Metroid is a bitch to play without a map or a clue where to go. At least you experience with super metroid came in handy. And i have to give you props for making a map along the way. That article was awesome, so many nostalgic memories of fear and loathing in planet Zebes.

ImageImageImage

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Oct 03 2009 02:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I may have mentioned this before, but as a kid in daycare we discovered the Justin Bailey code out of sheer boredom. We were putting everyone's names in, and there happened to be a Justin Bailey playing with us. When it worked it blew out minds. Shocked

Also, the fact that you cannot duck and shoot and thus have to wait for the smaller enemies to crawl up the wall before you can kill them pisses me the hell off. Mad

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 03 2009 05:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
I may have mentioned this before, but as a kid in daycare we discovered the Justin Bailey code out of sheer boredom. We were putting everyone's names in, and there happened to be a Justin Bailey playing with us. When it worked it blew out minds. Shocked

And you just happened to put in all dashes for the second half of the code, too?
jerknut
PostPosted: Oct 03 2009 08:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

AJ Fox wrote:
oh yeah, forgot to post this...

http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/?p=740

Laughing That was awesome. What a dumb, awesome game. Or an awesomely dumb game. Either way works for me.
jerknut
PostPosted: Oct 03 2009 08:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

And you just happened to put in all dashes for the second half of the code, too?

Yeah, that is a bit of a stretch, but I seem to remember spaces working too, right?

Edit:
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Oct 03 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I swear to god someone did. I wasn't the one that did it I was just there. They possibly knew about it before hand and did it to freak him out. Confused

Reply to topic

Jump to: