[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
things that piss you off in sports

Reply to topic
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ That's the dude. Asshole. Evil

I know what you mean. It makes me really, really sad that frigging Dallas has a state of the art brand spanking new rink that's almost always empty, while the Oil play in a twenty year old facility that can barely refrigerate the ice properly anymore. Not to mention places like poor Winnipeg, who don't even have a team at all anymore. Sad

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 09:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Other stuff about the NHL: how they try to stay in hopeless markets. Nobody goes to watch the games in Phoenix, or in most southern US cities for that matter.

The NHL has been trying a strategy of being the "only game in town" in a lot of cities. It's hard to compete in a city like Chicago when you have 2 baseball teams, a football team, and a basketball team...but move to Columbus, and if someone wants Major League sports, they've only got one place to go.

Whether it works or not I don't know, but I do know that the San Jose Sharks are a very popular team in a city where there's no other major sports team.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

things that piss me off in sports: NASCAR

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:

We're discussing sports, not NASCAR.
username
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
username wrote:

We're discussing sports, not NASCAR.

BA-ZING! & Touche!

Klimbatize wrote:

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

NASCAR isn't too bad if the race isn't one of those oval piece of shit.
username
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:

i think thats all NASCAR is. nothing but left turns all day.

at least in F1 they make a right turn every now and then.

Klimbatize wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

People only watch NASCAR for the crashes.

Anyone who says otherwise is fucking lying.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 03:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
lavalarva wrote:

They went to Montreal this summer, which was pretty nice to watch and kinda exciting, so there are non-oval tracks in NASCAR, called street tracks or something.
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 07:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
username wrote:
lavalarva wrote:

They went to Montreal this summer, which was pretty nice to watch and kinda exciting, so there are non-oval tracks in NASCAR, called street tracks or something.

Namely, Sonoma, Watkins Glen and Montreal. Until some time ago the Nationwide Series ran at Mexico City, too. Those were some of the most exciting races of recent memory.

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 07:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, something that pisses me off is the fact that people take soccer WAY TOO seriously in Latin America and Europe, and maybe Asia too. They make the sport a matter of national pride, for crying out loud!

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 08:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chile Guy wrote:
Well, something that pisses me off is the fact that people take soccer WAY TOO seriously in Latin America and Europe, and maybe Asia too. They make the sport a matter of national pride, for crying out loud!

Currently living in Europe, I can say that it's really another expression of their intense nationalism. European countries all have a mild dislike for each other, and will take any opportunity possible to brag to their neighbors about how awesome their country is, especially the countries that have little else to be proud of. That's why there are so many riots after soccer games; because national pride takes over and people go insane.

They take it so seriously because they see it as a world sport, and if their country does well, it somehow makes their country better than all others. I definitely believe after living in England for 5 years, that many Europeans don't actually like the game of soccer, but rather the pride they gain from winning. That's why they cheer for their teams so seriously.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 09:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

The US has a sort of fanatical attitude American Football (Baseball is the national pastime, but Football is the national passion). But nobody's ever been trampled to death at a Raiders game.

Surprisingly.
username
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

because Raider fans will just stab you instead. or shoot you in the parking lot afterwards.

and soccer rules.

Klimbatize wrote:

Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can't stand the majority of sports announcers. I once heard that you are more likely to have a big inning leading off with a walk as opposed to a Home Run because now you have a man on base......Really Joe Morgan? How the fuck do you keep your job?

Also, during last nights Monday Night game, the only thing I heard all night was how Miami was DOMINATING Indy, yet I think their biggest lead was seven points AND everyone and their mother knew that Peyton was gonna get the ball last and win the game. ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
Also, during last nights Monday Night game, the only thing I heard all night was how Miami was DOMINATING Indy, yet I think their biggest lead was seven points AND everyone and their mother knew that Peyton was gonna get the ball last and win the game. ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

The Colts got the ball for only 15 minutes in the whole game. That means the Colts defense was pretty much exhausted at the end.
But the reason the Dolphins got the ball so often was because the Colts scored touchdowns really damn fast, so they weren't really dominating.
Unykle Broh
Title: Idiotique
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Preseason rankings for college football. And pretty much the entire BCS system.

username
PostPosted: Sep 23 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

people who dont know about basketball and talk about how shaq is a worthless center (he's not)

Klimbatize wrote:

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 23 2009 08:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Shag is def. still a presence....just not the beast he used to be. I would take him on my team.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Sep 23 2009 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When listening to the Indians games on the Radio Tom Hamilton has this insane passion to make me excited then completely make me sad. "Basses loaded for Choo, 2 outs bottom of the 8th, with the Indians behind 8 to 6. And the pitch...CHOO HITS THE BALL FAR... AND DEEP TO LEFT!!! STILL GOING!!! and Laporta catches it at the wall. We head into the 9th with the Indians still trailing 8-6." Fuck you Hamilton.

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 09:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, baseball on radio is aggravating. They ALWAYS make a pop fly seem like it is going to be a Home Run.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Quote:
Other stuff about the NHL: how they try to stay in hopeless markets. Nobody goes to watch the games in Phoenix, or in most southern US cities for that matter.

The NHL has been trying a strategy of being the "only game in town" in a lot of cities. It's hard to compete in a city like Chicago when you have 2 baseball teams, a football team, and a basketball team...but move to Columbus, and if someone wants Major League sports, they've only got one place to go.

Whether it works or not I don't know, but I do know that the San Jose Sharks are a very popular team in a city where there's no other major sports team.

On that note, the fucking San Jose Sharks and their fans. Well okay, it wasn't the team's fault, so mostly just their fans. I have not, and probably will never, forgive them for a playoff game held in San Jose in '06 against the Edmonton Oilers. It was a good, passionate series...until the assholes all booed the Canadian national anthem when it was played for the Oil. I have never been so furious at so many people in my life. And the worst part of it was that (like most NHL teams) at least 75% of the SHARKS are Canadian too! I can't imagine how THAT must have felt. I would gladly pay good money to bitch slap each and every person who booed that day.

The addendum to that is that, in truly classy fashion, when the series went back to Edmonton, the Oilers fans made it a point to stand up and sing the Star Spangled Banner even louder than their own anthem. Reason #42,909 I love Canada and her people.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 02:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
On that note, the fucking San Jose Sharks and their fans. Well okay, it wasn't the team's fault, so mostly just their fans. I have not, and probably will never, forgive them for a playoff game held in San Jose in '06 against the Edmonton Oilers. It was a good, passionate series...until the assholes all booed the Canadian national anthem when it was played for the Oil. I have never been so furious at so many people in my life. And the worst part of it was that (like most NHL teams) at least 75% of the SHARKS are Canadian too! I can't imagine how THAT must have felt. I would gladly pay good money to bitch slap each and every person who booed that day.

The addendum to that is that, in truly classy fashion, when the series went back to Edmonton, the Oilers fans made it a point to stand up and sing the Star Spangled Banner even louder than their own anthem. Reason #42,909 I love Canada and her people.

My guess is that, while the Oilers' fans go watch hockey because they love the sport, the Sharks' fans just want to have a good show and don't really give a shit.

But the US doesn't have a very nice reputation for having good sportsmanship anyway. Fans and athletes alike are often considered to be quite arrogant. In tennis, many players hate to play in the US Open because the audience is often unrespectuous against players. As for athletes, anyone remembers Lindsey Jacobellis?

Of course, I don't mean to say everybody in the US is that way, but those people tend to stand out a lot because they annoy the hell out of everyone else.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
But the US doesn't have a very nice reputation for having good sportsmanship anyway. Fans and athletes alike are often considered to be quite arrogant. In tennis, many players hate to play in the US Open because the audience is often unrespectuous against players. As for athletes, anyone remembers Lindsey Jacobellis?

Of course, I don't mean to say everybody in the US is that way, but those people tend to stand out a lot because they annoy the hell out of everyone else.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick but its just different cultures. Land of the free home of the brave, also home to the ability to chant say and do almost whatever we want at sporting events in the U.S.

Remember when the Jamaicans joined the Winter Olympics in the Bob Sled? Even the Swiss ridiculed them, but at the end of the day they did something amazing and they got their respect. I think my point is clear now.

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 06:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Soooo Americans can't love hockey? You have to be Canadian?

Also, the Montreal Canadien Fans have booed the American National Anthem before....just sayin.
Reply to topic

Jump to: