[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Disney To Buy Marvel

Reply to topic
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Aug 31 2009 09:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:
While it's fairly irrelevant where it is, I would argue for general (which is why I didn't movie it) because Marvel as ac company includes more than just reading material (movies, video games, etc.)

Bullshit, when I think Marvel, I think comic books.

Sexton Hardcastle wrote:
One of my buddies is all pissed off about it because he thinks they will ruin the movies by trying to make them kid friendly...I don't really see the point he's getting at since the Spider Man movies, and X-Men were both only PG-13...it's not like they were R rated movies to begin with.

I'd be more concerned about the complete disappearance of any comic books with any worse than an all ages rating.

I just love that this is where people go with this again and again. It's understandable since the basic image of Disney are children's movies and other such family friendly images.

Disney the company is in charge of much more than just family films. Disney owns Miramax, Touchstone, Hollywood pictures, and until 2005 it owned dimension films under which several horror films were made. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

But as you said you aren't worried about films, you are worried about the comics. Well another company disney owns is Hyperion books and it's many offshoots. They publish George Carlins books, which have a dirty word or two in them.

So you can be scared but remember disney is the company that released this:

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 31 2009 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

they also own dreamworks, right?

i wonder if this means we'll see marvel super heroes in kingdom hearts games.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Aug 31 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
they also own dreamworks, right?

i wonder if this means we'll see marvel super heroes in kingdom hearts games.

No, Dreamworks is owned by Paramount, who is owned by Viacom.

And if disney wanted to do a team up game with marvel they would have to wait almost ten years for marvels licensing deals to expire with other game companies.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22747
http://kotaku.com/5349343/disney-will-reexamine-marvel-video-game-deals-as-they-expire.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 01:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

So, does this mean that someday we can get Kingdom Hearts 7, that will team up Cloud, Goofy, and Spiderman?
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 01:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can see them now:

- The "Kingdom Hearts" all-star crossover event maxi-series with variant covers.
- "It's a small multiverse after all!"
- Douglas Adams was right: Mice DO run the universe.
- "Super Goof" and the Avengers.
- The "1602" movie will be made, but as a spin-off of "Pirates of the Caribbean."
- The next "Punisher" movie will still not be the one the fans were looking for, but for entirely different reasons.
- "Dr. Strange vs. the Wizards of Waverly Place."
- Hannah Montana IS the New Dazzler.
- Ariel the Mermaid will help Doctor Octopus reform and become a marine biologist.
- Snow White Queen and the more Modest Costume.
- Mulan and Fin Fang Foom: Tokyo Turnaround.
- Hercules Disney versus Hercules Marvel versus... oh, let's toss the Hulk at 'em.
- Secret Duckburg Wars (featuring Howard the Beyonder Duck).
- "Welcome to the Marvel Mouse Club!"
- Dumbo's Savage Land Adventure.
- WWII Donald Duck and his Howling Commandos.
- Ghost Rider: Herbie Goes Infernal!

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing that concerns me about this is that Kick-Ass, much like The Boys, will have to be picked up by Dynamite.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok that's it I'm officially done arguing with everyone.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:

I hope this isn't in regard to my comment. Warner Bros. does a lot of adult oriented stuff too but The Boys was a little more than they wanted to be associated with. While not quite as bad, I wouldn't be surprised if something like Kick-Ass (And especially War Heroes, if issue 3 ever even is finished) is deemed going a little too far.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:

- Secret Duckburg Wars (featuring Howard the Beyonder Duck).

Luckily there's a law requiring Howard the Duck to wear long pants, so we'll be able to tell him and Donald apart!

UsaSatsui wrote:

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I said it before and I say it again:

It can't simply be any worse than any changes that Joe Quesada enforced in the Marvel Universe.

Plus, c'mon! You know you want a Donald Duck vs Howard the Duck clash of epic proportions.
username
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 04:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AtmanRyu wrote:
I said it before and I say it again:

It can't simply be any worse than any changes that Joe Quesada enforced in the Marvel Universe.

Plus, c'mon! You know you want a Donald Duck vs Howard the Duck clash of epic proportions.

donald would kick his ass.

i'd rather see darkwing duck vs spider pig.

Klimbatize wrote:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 05:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know a Darkwing Duck / Spiderman team up would be awesome.

Spidey & Darkwing take on:

Tuskerninni & Kingpin
NegaDuck & Venom
Megavolt & Electro
Quackerjack & Green Goblin
The Liquidator & Sandman
Dr. Reginald Bushroot & Lizard
Major Synapse & Mystero
Steelbeak & Silvermane

Or just the Fearsome Five & Sinister Six together.
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:

I hope this isn't in regard to my comment. Warner Bros. does a lot of adult oriented stuff too but The Boys was a little more than they wanted to be associated with. While not quite as bad, I wouldn't be surprised if something like Kick-Ass (And especially War Heroes, if issue 3 ever even is finished) is deemed going a little too far.

It wasn't directed at you just a outward cry in general due to the internet exploding with cries of this and that.

Though in regards to kick-ass I would think any editorial changes Disney would implement wouldn't be immediately. And with a film coming next year I don't see it being moved.

username
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 06:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
You know a Darkwing Duck / Spiderman team up would be awesome.

Spidey & Darkwing take on:

Tuskerninni & Kingpin
NegaDuck & Venom
Megavolt & Electro
Quackerjack & Green Goblin
The Liquidator & Sandman
Dr. Reginald Bushroot & Lizard
Major Synapse & Mystero
Steelbeak & Silvermane

Or just the Fearsome Five & Sinister Six together.

all of those sound awesome.

its been ages since i've seen darkwing duck. i wonder how it holds up.

Klimbatize wrote:

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: Sep 01 2009 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-Existing licensing and distribution deals should remain where they are.

-Disney believes there’s real opportunity with the Marvel catalog of characters and will work on where those opportunities are greatest and how best to leverage them across the existing Marvel and Disney infrastructure.

-Disney executives went to great lengths during the call to make the point that they don’t pretend to be more expert than Marvel is in handling their characters, citing the hands-off relationship Disney has had with Pixar since the acquisition of that studio. Disney said Marvel manages the properties from a business perspective very intelligently and trusts them to make the right decisions for these products for a long time to come.

-Disney said the deal was attractive not just because they’re buying great characters, stories and brand, but about working with people who know these characters best and how best to work with them in other media.

-Again, referencing the Pixar deal, Disney finds working as one company with Marvel removes friction and creates value that’s very compelling. Licensing offers very attractive opportunities, but nothing is better than being one. International expansion of Marvel properties through Disney was cited as a potential growth area.

-Cable channel Disney XD is currently running about 20 hours a week of Marvel content and Disney has been looking to license more Marvel content and this deal gives them that opportunity as well as the opportunity to expose these characters internationally.<.li>

-With regards to video game publishing, Disney praised Marvel’s licensing agreements with some of the best video game producers and publishers in the business and said moving forward they will consider what’s best for each individual property as each licensing deal comes up for renewal and that there would likely be a blend of licensed and self-produced/self-distributed titles.

-With respect to Paramount’s distribution deal with Marvel and the Iron Man franchise, Disney has every intention to respect the deal that’s in place, but noted that it’s in their best interest, overtime, to become the sole distributor of Marvel films.

-Will Disney3D be used for Marvel movies? That will be determined by those who are in charge of producing Marvel’s theatrical films.

-When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key

-Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.

-Disney said this deal is expected to benefit Marvel’s retail efforts, being able to leverage Disney’s shelf space and relationships with major chains and distributors.

-The deal began when Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger reached out to Marvel Chief Executive Ike Perlmutter earlier this year. Again, Disney noted that they believe in the creative team at Marvel and see no reason to upset that applecart.

-Disney has not made any real estate decisions and sees no reason to move Marvel Studios from their headquarters in Manhattan Beach, California. No mention of Marvel Publishing’s offices in New York City was made.

-In addition, Marvel Editor-In-Chief twittering this morning and has made some comments on the deal:

“G' morning, Marvel U! Welcome to this moment in history. Everyone relax, this is incredible news and all is well in the Marvel U.”

“Everybody take a deep breath, all your favorite comics remain unchanged and Tom Brevoort remains grouchy.”

“If you're familiar with the Disney/Pixar relationship, then you'll understand why this is a new dawn for Marvel and the comics industry.”

Cool

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kojjiro! wrote:

-Will Disney3D be used for Marvel movies? That will be determined by those who are in charge of producing Marvel’s theatrical films.

This has already been decided, as Iron Man 2 is now supposed to be released in Disney3D.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 05:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

wrote:
After Disney-Marvel Deal, Cartoonist’s Heirs Seek to Reclaim Rights
The Walt Disney Company’s proposed $4 billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment may come with a headache: a brand-new superhero copyright dispute.

Heirs to the comic-book artist Jack Kirby, who has been credited as the co-creator of characters and stories behind Marvel mainstays like the “X-Men” and “Fantastic Four,” among many others, last week sent 45 notices of copyright termination to Marvel, Disney, Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures and others who have been making films and other forms of entertainment based on the characters.

The legal notices expressed an intent to regain copyrights to some creations as early as 2014, according to a statement from Toberoff & Associates, a Los Angeles firm that helped win a court ruling last year returning a share of the copyright in Superman to heirs of the character’s co-creator, Jerome Siegel.

Reached by telephone on Sunday, Mr. Toberoff declined to elaborate on the statement. A spokeswoman for Marvel had no immediate comment. Disney said in a statement, “The notices involved are an attempt to terminate rights seven to 10 years from now, and involve claims that were fully considered in the acquisition.” Fox, Sony, Paramount and Universal had no comment.

Marvel shareholders must still approve the sale of the company to Disney, which is already battling criticism from some Wall Street analysts that Marvel comes with too messy an array of rights agreements. The worry is that Disney will have a hard time immediately executing a coordinated exploitation of Marvel’s various brands.

Sony has the film rights to Spider-Man in perpetuity, for instance, while Fox has the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. Paramount has a distribution agreement for Marvel’s next few self-produced movies, including a second “Iron Man” film. Meanwhile, Hasbro has certain toy rights and Universal holds the Florida theme park rights to Spider-Man and the Incredible Hulk, among other characters.

Mr. Kirby, who died in 1994, worked with the writer-editor Stan Lee to create many of the characters that in the last decade have become some of the most valuable in a Hollywood that hungers for super-heroes. Mr. Kirby was involved with “The Incredible Hulk,” “The Mighty Thor,” “Iron Man,” “Spider-Man,” and “The Avengers,” and others.

The window for serving notice of termination on the oldest of the properties opened several years ago, and will remain open for some time under the law. But Disney’s announced purchase gives a new reason for anyone with claims on Marvel to stake out a position.

Under copyright law, the author or his heirs can begin a process to regain copyrights a certain period of years after the original grant. If Mr. Kirby’s four children were to gain the copyright to a co-created character, they might become entitled to a share of profits from films or other properties using it. They might also find themselves able to sell rights to certain characters independently of Marvel, Disney, or the various studios that have licensed the Marvel properties for their hit films.

In July, a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled that Warner Brothers and its DC Comics unit had not violated rights of the Siegel heirs in handling internal transactions related to Superman, but an earlier ruling had already granted the heirs a return of their share in the copyright. In the late 1990s, Mr. Toberoff represented a television writer, Gilbert Ralston, who sued Warner over the rights to the film “Wild, Wild West.” The suit was ultimately settled.

Copyright issues have become increasingly difficult for Hollywood, as it continues to trade on characters and stories that were created decades ago, but are now subject to deadlines and expiration dates under federal copyright law.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 09:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wait the stockholders still haven't signed off?

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Sep 25 2009 04:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm getting some good vibes and some bad vibes from this. Ever since spidey sold his marriage, i have been loosing track of marvel's comic releases in general.

Pixar doing the Antman movie maybe a good thing or a bad thing. Honestly until more time has passed, i'm going to remain neutral (with a touch of reluctance) towards this business with Disney and marvel.

Oh and, i'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

I dare you to listen to that Disney/Marvel Song once, it will be stuck in your head for a while.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Marcus[SKoGM}
Title: Bushwacked
PostPosted: Sep 30 2009 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is bad, this is very bad. This means that Iron man is going to be in the next Kingdom hearts. This means cross-overs with Kim possible and Captain America. This means that the Black Panther will be forever know as "the african-american panther."

PORQUE??!!

You wouldn't happen to be the Tek Knight by any chance?

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Sep 30 2009 04:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Marcus[SKoGM} wrote:
This is bad, this is very bad. This means that Iron man is going to be in the next Kingdom hearts. This means cross-overs with Kim possible and Captain America. This means that the Black Panther will be forever know as "the african-american panther."

PORQUE??!!

Black panther had already changed his name once before due to the militant group

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 30 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Marcus[SKoGM} wrote:

PORQUE??!!

Black panther had already changed his name once before due to the militant group

Furthermore Marcus, if he's an African prince, where did he get the American? <pet peeve>

username
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

is black panther still around?

Klimbatize wrote:

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 05:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
is black panther still around?

Yes and no. T'Challa got fucked up pretty bad by Doom and his Doombots, winding up going comatose for a while. Eventually he came out of it but was so injured he's passed the mantle on to his sister.

Reply to topic

Jump to: