[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Taz, that does not mean what you think it means

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 24 2009 09:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

So Taz is in TNA now as Samoa Joe's new mentor, and he's back on that whole "FTW" thing.

Unfortunately, in the years since ECW fell apart, FTW has become much more popular as "for the win" than it ever was as "fuck the world", so it makes Taz seem kinda goofy.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jul 24 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to love Taz, back in ECW when he was fueding with Sabu. I've read that he was/is a black belt in Judo, so his submission grappler "persona" is actually quite legit.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jul 24 2009 03:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Taz, for the win!

OK, maybe not the same punch, but entertaining Smile Few things are as fun to watch as a short, angry, bald guy who makes the big guys submit though.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jul 24 2009 09:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see Taz as a part of the announce team some time, he can't really be Samoa Joe's manager forever, so....

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 24 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently no one knows what the front end office's plans are for the announce team. It's assumed Taz will join it, but both Don West and Mike Tenay are concerned he get one of their spots. I would hate to see that happen, because those guys are awesome. Especially Tenay.

JBL is apparently also in talks with TNA, and like Taz, there's pretty much no chance he could actively wrestle at this point. So the TNA announce team could very well end up being Taz and JBL.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Jul 25 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JBL supposedly said that TNA rumors are BS and he's happy playing golf, but you know how the truth is in wrasslin.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 25 2009 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tenay is the greatest anouncer in the world. I'm glad WWE never got their hands on him, as they would ruin his style. I love how much dedication and knowledge his as in wrestling. Not only does he know every move in the book, but he also researches the wrestlers and gives you great insight into their backgrounds and fun facts about them.

The only other anouncer who comes close is Matt Stryker, who I would love to see replace Michael Cole.
Bouya
PostPosted: Jul 25 2009 02:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in the minority when it comes to Tenay, but not because of his knowledge or whatever. I can't stand his voice. It makes me want to not watch, or watch with the sound off. In the WCW days when it was him and Schiavone it was doubly bad.

That said, I'm no JR mark either.
Ghandi
PostPosted: Jul 25 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a huge fan of Tenay either.

In WCW Shivani and Bischoff were the best announcing to me. At least Don West makes him sound smarter.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Bouya
PostPosted: Jul 26 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

My initial introduction was in the Ventura/Monsoon years, then later Heenan/Monsoon. A wrassle show without the straight man/color pro-heel man team feels flat and dull to me.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Aug 13 2009 05:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tenay sucks much ass. He was great when he would come on Nitro for the weekly Cruiser matches and drop some knowledge since there wasn't much internet back then. But he sucks, Don West on the other hand is salacious. He should have been heel a looong time ago. Get rid of Tenay, put in Taz, or even Kevin Nash and bam; gold.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 13 2009 09:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bouya wrote:
I'm in the minority when it comes to Tenay, but not because of his knowledge or whatever. I can't stand his voice.

Yeah, and Taz has a soothing voice that was just MADE for announcing/radio/voiceover work.

Except, not.
Bouya
PostPosted: Aug 13 2009 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Bouya wrote:
I'm in the minority when it comes to Tenay, but not because of his knowledge or whatever. I can't stand his voice.

Yeah, and Taz has a soothing voice that was just MADE for announcing/radio/voiceover work.

Except, not.

I don't recall saying he did...
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 13 2009 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I still have nightmares about the JR/Taz feud.

"I'm gonna get you, Jay-Ahh!"
Ba'al
PostPosted: Aug 13 2009 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jesse Ventura is still the best commentator ever to me.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 13 2009 03:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Heenan before his throat cancer was the best.
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Aug 13 2009 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some say it was Gordon Solie the greatest ever, but then again, I could never find old GCW/NWA footage to prove it right.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 18 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And it's official. Taz is replacing Don West as color commentator. Don West is not being let go. Instead, he is receiving an office job.

This sucks. Don West > Taz.
Ghandi
PostPosted: Aug 18 2009 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Heenan before his throat cancer was the best.

Heenan FTW.

That guy has such imagination. If I were a color commentator, I'd want to be Heenan.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Ba'al
PostPosted: Aug 18 2009 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They should've just added Tazz to the commentary team, rather than replace someone. I always liked three-man WCW styled commentary teams for some reason. One thing I always wanted to see is an all-heel team, the MEM one with Booker T and Nash was a good example.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 18 2009 09:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
One thing I always wanted to see is an all-heel team, the MEM one with Booker T and Nash was a good example.

Um, that was actually Black Snow and Chad Lemon. Two TOTALLY different guys who are not at all Booker T and Nash.
Ba'al
PostPosted: Aug 18 2009 09:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Ba'al wrote:
One thing I always wanted to see is an all-heel team, the MEM one with Booker T and Nash was a good example.

Um, that was actually Black Snow and Chad Lemon. Two TOTALLY different guys who are not at all Booker T and Nash.

My mistake.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 19 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
They should've just added Tazz to the commentary team, rather than replace someone. I always liked three-man WCW styled commentary teams for some reason. One thing I always wanted to see is an all-heel team, the MEM one with Booker T and Nash was a good example.

You mean Nitro's old 5-6 man - rotating anounce team?

I remember at one pont, you had Eric Bischoff, Steve McMichael, Bobby Heenan, Larry Zbyszko, Tony Schiavone, and Mike Tenay all hosting at different parts of the show.

Zbyszko, Bischoff, and Schiavone would start the show, but half way through they would change it to Schiavone, Heenan, and Tenay.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Aug 19 2009 01:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don West fucking grows right infront of our eyes into the best heel announcer in the game, and he gets replaced for "AH NO ITS DA SUPLEKS!" Fuck Taz and his Brooklyn accent. They should have shit canned Tenay.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 21 2009 06:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So last night was Taz's first night as announcer. After being the heelish mentor of MEM member Samoa Joe, and the one supposedly responsible for Samoa Joe's new "nation of violence" attitude, he debuts at the announcer table as a face. WHAT THE FUCK?

The Tenay/West dynamic was great. Taz fucking sucks. His color commentary was boring as hell. He offered no insight, no humor, no anything. It might as well have just been Tenay out there by himself.

Bring back West!

In other news, TNA President Dixie Carter will appear on television for the first time EVER next week. God knows what she'll say. She's kind of an idiot, so hopefully she'll be playing a heel.
Reply to topic

Jump to: