"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Best NES game ever

Reply to topic
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Oct 06 2006 03:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gonna have to agree with Dr.Jeebus on this one. Sorry guys. Megaman 3 was my favorite NES game ever, the one I played the most easily, and the most epic for me. Mario 3 was massive win, but Megaman 3 was just extra awesome for me. I dunno.

In other news, I've now played Adventure Island for the first time, and damn, that is one awesome game. I love the controls, they're absolutely perfect. I think that they put mario to shame, even. Upon my first attempt at playing it, I instantly grasped the physics and feel. Awesome shit.
niku
PostPosted: Oct 06 2006 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that was a great article, worth the wait for sure. i really like ow the top 3 turned out. i always felt the first final fantasy was a bit overlooked by others, all the hours i spent playing as a youth (and adult) are vindicated by the #2 ranking.

i too am more than meets the eye

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Oct 06 2006 07:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hated Zelda until recently, now I think it's kinda fun, but still not that great. Final Fantasy was fun if you had a party of four warriors and got four silver swords, the best sword in the game, from the elf village, then just raped everyone.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Oct 06 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, there were a lot of games there I've never heard about before. Probably because I didn't like rpgs on Nintendo.

I loved baseball games for that system though, so I wish a lot more were on there, especially RBI baseball. That's in the top ten Nintendo games of all time for me.

And I wish Dick Tracy made it. I know Syd hates that game, but I loved it as a kid.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 07 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
And I wish Dick Tracy made it. I know Syd hates that game, but I loved it as a kid.

Honestly, I did too. But having revisited it in recent years, it just doesn't seem as good.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Chrisby
PostPosted: Oct 07 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of great games on that list. And personally, if it was up to me, I would've put Super Mario Bros. 3 in the number one spot too. A truly classic game.

It was also cool to see a lot of old games I remember playing on that list too. Blades of Steel was among them, and it was really fun. But to this day I still have no idea what the fuck they're supposed to be saying when they pass the puck.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well thanks, Murdar. SMB3 was fun, but I have no desire to play it again. If it was all plugged up and ready to go, I'd say no thanks. I just can't turn down Mega Man 3 though, and glad I'm not the only one who would've put it at number 1.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 07:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently some other people agree with you...and disagree with some other stuff, in this thread on the Something Awful boards. Looks like you have a few, eh, dissenters. Just look at Dirk Muscleton's posts.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
Apparently some other people agree with you...and disagree with some other stuff, in this thread on the Something Awful boards. Looks like you have a few, eh, dissenters. Just look at Dirk Muscleton's posts.

Eh. People love to get riled up over things with really low stakes. It's easier. Fact is, Syd put together a pretty sweet list based on a number of people's input, and no amount of shuffling is gonna make everyone happy. And that's even addressed in the article. Several people in that forum liked it, and I'm sure others that don't post on forums just to bitch will enjoy it, too.

Quote:
Most of the top twenty should really be in the top ten.

Yeah, Syd! Why didn't you count down by halves for the top ten so they could all fit?! Evil Rolling Eyes
Chrisby
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 04:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They're just a bunch of fanboys pissed off that Dragon Warrior 3 or M.C. Kids (wtf?) didn't make it into the top 10. So who really cares what they think.

Of course there were gonna be people who didn't agree with the list; it was pretty much inevitable.
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 06:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't think that the GBA port of Final Fantasy sucked, but then again, I've never played the NES version.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 07:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:

Ugh, I hate message boarders... by association I hate myself. Yep, that's about right. Rolling Eyes

I love you all though. Wink

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Tebor. I'll remember that the next time I need bail money. Twisted Evil

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't read a lot of it, and I probably won't. There are probably some overly critical replies that bash the hell out of me, and I have no desire to read that sort of stuff. I mean, what's the point? I have gotten some pretty harsh e-mails over the last few months in regards to my Super Punch-Out article and I've followed links in my site logs to a few message boards that have bashed my article on those 20 popular NES games that actually kinda sucked, and you know, whatever.

If people don't like what I write, fine. If there's one thing I learned from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back it's that you can't let yourself get drawn into arguments with people who think you suck unless you have the time and resources to personally find them and beat them all down. Otherwise you're just playing to their hands.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 08:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
If people don't like what I write, fine. If there's one thing I learned from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back it's that you can't let yourself get drawn into arguments with people who think you suck unless you have the time and resources to personally find them and beat them all down.

I'll donate money Cool

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 08:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer to focus on the positive here... The S-A forums do high traffic and getting a link posted on there is pretty good publicity. From there, it will slowly make its way around rest of the net.
TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Oct 09 2006 03:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

The article was excellent. Thank god someone else even knew about the wonder that is dragon warrior 3.

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Oct 09 2006 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We all know THIS is the true "Best NES game ever".
Reply to topic

Jump to: