SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What age did gaming start to lose it's magic for you?

Reply to topic
Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Aug 05 2008 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When age or event in life do you think gaming starts to loose it's magic?

For me I have realized at age 25 I am no longer heavily motivated to actually be the type of gamer I use to be. I sometimes go into walmart looking at the PS3 and 360 and want to buy the system or some games, because I can afford it.,but it just seems like I can't get excited like I was as a kid looking at the NES case at Children's Palace in 1988.

I sold off my gamecube before college and that was the last real time I was a console gamer. I have had thoughts about getting slimline ps2 because i need a dvd player but the games are still too high for the PS2 IMHO becase of the PS3's compatability with it.

I also look at the forums and want to relive some of the gaming memories that people had on this forum. I never got to play Final Fantasy,Chrono Trigger or Earthbond as a kid so its so hard getting into them as an adult without that childhood wonder nostalgia hooked on to it.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 05 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno. I jsut don't ahve the time.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 05 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gaming will never looe it's magic!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Aug 05 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's not a loss of motivation, it's a loss of time.

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Aug 05 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For me, it is a change in motivation. Right now, I am a polar gamer. I either play all video games all the time, or im not playing video games at all.

Gantrithor
Title: Big Sexy
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

It was thanks to the Genesis Vs. SNES days that I started to game too much for my own good, but eventually around the time PS2 came about I started to game less and less. It may be the fact that gaming is now no longer just a nerd's interest, and now a rather popular hobby among many. We probably have rising improvement in realistic graphics and Madden 2000-2009 to thank for allowing even super-jocks to roam our territory.
JRA
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 02:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Laughing Wow, I never noticed that.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 03:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

To me, gaming only starts losing it's magic when I've played everything and I get burnt out.

My dangerously low attention span doesn't help either.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 03:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Bluey
Title: 99 Beserkers
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's kind of subjective for me. Certain really old games never lose their magic, because it feels like I'm preserving their memory by playing them or something like that. But then, sometimes I lose my spark for new games because the first thing I think is "Oh, that looks derivative/My computer could never run that/I don't have the system that's on."

I blame Lair, mostly. I looked forward to that game for years because it was all about dragons. And then it comes out and I read the reviews and - bam - it's garbage. I felt so... betrayed, and I think that's why I lost so much of my spark.

Image - This is Bluey's health meter. When it runs out he has to quit the forum.
My Sydapedia page lists my game collection and friend codes, if you're interested.

ged1928
Title: A new hope
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In about 1997, when SNES titles were phased out and it had become obvious that the N64 was going to be very underwhelming.
Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Ditto!

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 01:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ky-Guy wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
Ditto!

I concur!

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 01:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

JEW wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

wow jew, you just gave me a new sig. thanks

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 02:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew Man wrote:
Ky-Guy wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
Ditto!

I concur!

Same here.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 03:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think it was when they started calling it "gaming" and everyone was now a "gamer". I've always hated when people used those terms. I'll never call myself a "gamer". The last time video games seemed to have magic was on the PS1. I used to actually take chances with new games back then, things seemed more willing to deviate from the norm. Now everything is graphics and everytime I take a chance on a new game that even got good reviews, it's usually shit.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Pixelponny
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 04:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I started to work full time when I was 18, then I started to play much less. Sometimes I just play computer games because I am bored and there is nothing else to do, also I am too lazy to work on my skills (especially programming).

I have a good PC but I really don't get excited with the games I see on the magazines and on the internet. At the other hand, I still enjoy old NES games a lot.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
username
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pixelponny wrote:
I started to work full time when I was 18, then I started to play much less. Sometimes I just play computer games because I am bored and there is nothing else to do, also I am too lazy to work on my skills (especially programming).

same here. started working full time and drinking full time as well. so i have less and less time to play games, but i will always love video games. i just switched priorities in life is all

Klimbatize wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I will say that the three-way console wars that started in the late 90s have really hurt gaming. In a two-way console war, when you have one console, you get slightly fucked sometimes because not every game you want is going to come out on your system, but it's bearable. In a three way console war, you get super-fucked if you have one console because DOZENS and DOZENS of games you want aren't going to come out on your system.

We really need a two console industry again, but it'll never happen. Last gen, Microsoft was the odd man out, but they refused to back down and now they're arguably the top game in town, though I believe the Wii has higher market penetration. This gen, Sony is odd man out, but they won't back down either because like Microsoft, Sony is a multifaceted corporation, and they can afford to take huge losses in their VG department. Nintendo won't back down either, because this VGs are what they do. They continue to dominate the shit out of the handheld market and despite making huge business and marketing mistakes over the last 10-14 years, they are back in the console game.

In a healthy console industry, people should be able to own a single console and play at least 80% of the games that look interesting to them. In the current market, that number is closer to 60% and that's not good. Something's gotta give. I nominate Sony. That, or there has to be more serious attempts at cross-platforming.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
In a healthy console industry, people should be able to own a single console and play at least 80% of the games that look interesting to them. In the current market, that number is closer to 60% and that's not good. Something's gotta give. I nominate Sony. That, or there has to be more serious attempts at cross-platforming.

More detail about why please.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
More detail about why please.

You mean why Sony? Or why more serious attempts at cross-platforming? Or why some third thing?
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gaming lost its magic for me when Sega dropped out of the console business. It's just weird seeing Sonic on Nintendo and Sony consoles.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 01:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Especially since Sega dropped out at a point when the Dreamcast was making money and the company was posting its best quarters in years.
username
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 02:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

being unemployed has renewed my love for gaming. too bad that will end soon cause im broke and i need a job, son.

Klimbatize wrote:

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Aug 07 2008 03:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree about the three way console war thing too. I'm willing to buy 2 consoles if need be but 3 is just out of the question. I always thought it was kind of interesting the way they do video game consoles. Could you imagine if there were different kinds of DVD players that they only made certain movies on? That would seriously suck. For a while it looked like it was swinging that direction with HD DVD and Blu-ray though.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Reply to topic

Jump to: