"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Little Miss Sunshine and Crank

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 04 2006 06:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know most people on the forums aren't the target audience for either of these films, so they'll just have to share one thread.

I caught both of these in a double feature yesterday. Kind of a weird combination, but it was surprisingly exhilarating.

Little Miss Sunshine
Funny, funny, funny. I didn't know much about the film except it was about a beauty pagent and that both Captain Amazing (Greg Kinnear) and Steve Carrell were in it. I was surprised, albeit worried, that the film was really about a family of misfits who overcome expectations and... well, how can I do the actual film justice? The movie is dangerously close to becoming another cliche indie-art house film. There's cynicism and quirkyness we've all seen before in these films, there's a big climactic dance, and it's a feel good dramedy. It was too close to becoming "Napoleon Dynamite", but it never went too far astray. I highly enjoyed it and agree with the over-the-top buzz that it's worth seeing. Preferably with your family.

Crank
Jason Statham is easily my favorite new action hero of this latest generation. He's also the only one who seems to be making these popcorn action film regularly. "Crank" was the first movie I've seen this year that actually feels like an action movie! The pacing is kept up, Statham hits all the right notes, there's action, laughs, and pure unrealistic insanity. It isn't "Die Hard", but I would put it along side "Con Air", "Swordfish", and "Exit Wounds". I really, really wanted to get into a brawl with someone after the movie, just fight them to keep my heart rate up. I also did not know this movie existed until about two weeks ago when I saw an ad on TV. It was like a surprise present the summer season delievered. "Here you go, Tebor, Statham in a real action movie. No time to build expectations, just go see it as soon as you can."

A fine way to end the season. Now, the horror of Fall before the Oscar-wannabes of Winter! Dear God, no! Shocked

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 04 2006 06:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Con-Air is way better than Exit Wounds and Swordfish.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 04 2006 03:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Con-Air is way better than Exit Wounds and Swordfish.

Hence why it was said first, although they are in the same genre of action films. You can't enjoy any of them without checking out the brain because the logic was what put Stephen Hawking in his wheelchair.

And I'll defend "Exit Wounds" for probably being the best Steven Segal movie, but that's not really saying much... Rolling Eyes

"Swordfish" is another movie filled with 'impossibilites" and was probably the only decent R rated action film of 2000 (mostly because of the opening explosion and "the bus").

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 04 2006 04:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Tebor"]
Syd Lexia wrote:
And I'll defend "Exit Wounds" for probably being the best Steven Segal movie, but that's not really saying much... Rolling Eyes

Hard To Kill?
Above The Law?
Out For Justice?
Marked For Death?
Under Siege?
Under Siege 2?

Or my personal favorite, Crouching Cops, Hidden Badges:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EveSqhjwQGE
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 04 2006 05:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Hard To Kill?
Above The Law?
Out For Justice?
Marked For Death?
Under Siege?
Under Siege 2?

"Exit Wounds" is not only better than all of those (which I was depressed realizing I owned all of them) but more professional. Razz

But his music CD "Mojo Priest" begins and ends this debate.

Reply to topic

Jump to: