SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Fuck Apple. Fuck them so hard.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 06:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I bought an iPhone back in February. And now they're releasing a cheaper, better version of it. This marks the first - and last - time I will ever buy an Apple product. Way to fuck us over, Apple.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They lost it after the Apple II.

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 07:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, think of it that way: your "old" iPhone is heavier and thus makes a better melee weapon to use against Zombies should an apocalypse ever strike.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 07:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You can trade in the old one for the new one and get money back.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 07:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
Well, think of it that way: your "old" iPhone is heavier and thus makes a better melee weapon to use against Zombies should an apocalypse ever strike.

Yeah, and the user fees are cheaper. But web browsing is slow unless you're connected to a wireless network because it doesn't have 3G and web browsing drains the battery like a motherfucker. You get maybe 3-4 of web browsing before you have to recharge it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
S. McCracken
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 07:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do you spend 4 hours a day web browsing on your phone?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 07:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I'm at work, where I don't have constant access to a computer, absolutely.

I'll have to check out that trade-in thing... and see if I still have the receipt.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 07:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
When I'm at work, where I don't have constant access to a computer, absolutely.

I'll have to check out that trade-in thing... and see if I still have the receipt.

Syd.. you have a job?

I thought that you played video games and ran this site living on the radiation from your TV screen.

On another note... you were a fool to think that buying a first generation product from Apple was a good idea. But... now that you have it, enjoy it. It isn't the worst thing ever, in fact it is just as good as it was yesterday.

I have a real reason to hate Apple though if you are looking for one.

I spilled about a half a teaspoon worth of water in the corner of my keyboard tray on my Macbook Pro. I did everything correct to fix this problem. Power down, Battery out, Power cable out. Let it dry for a day.

The computer booted fine and everything works except the keyboard.

So I find out that the Apple warranty only covers manufacturer's defects. Um... what the fuck? Why wouldn't they cover those just on principle alone? So I try to find spare parts. None available from Apple. So according to Apple the correct thing to do at this point is to buy another $2600 machine.

I did some research and found out that a keyboard for this would cost me about $200 or so. So I'm going to try that, but in the mean time I opened it up to see if I could fix the problem myself. As a computer technician and someone who has regularly fixed laptops and desktops for over 10 years, this was not a big deal to me.

So I get into it. When I get to the keyboard I find two things that make me hate Apple.

1) The keyboard was held together with screws and ... BENT FUCKING METAL TABS. What? Yes, bent metal. So if you unbend it, you are doing structural damage to it. Who the FUCK thought of this? It is the worst design on earth.

2) The problem was that under the keyboard there are 3 plastic sheets. The top sheet has a conductive layer in it that reads the keystrokes. That was fine. The Bottom layer is another conductive layer that also reads the keystrokes. That was fine. The middle layer is covered in something similar to the carbon material on carbon paper. The water caused it to bleed and it spread all over the other keyboard components destroying the connectivity.

As far as I can tell, that middle sheet's only job is to separate the two sheets above and below it. Oh.. but I am pretty sure Apple put it there so that if someone spilled something they would be able to prove it. Well FUCK you Apple. Your Proof cost me a fucking machine. The keyboard would have worked without that bleeding black crap all over the place.

So, that is why I don't really like Apple.

Oh and I know that it was my fault for spilling the drink. I don't deny that. I just know that if I did that on my Dell it would A) Not break it and B) Be fixed within 2 days if it did break it.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Turns out, I can't get a free upgrade:

http://www.iphonematters.com/article/how_to_trade_in_your_iphone_for_a_3g_model_823/

Quote:
If you bought your iPhone before May 27, you’re basically not going to get a smoking deal on anything. AT&T will allow you to upgrade to the 3G model for the regular subsidized price of $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB), with one small huge catch- you have to sign a new two-year contract, regardless of how far along you are with your current contract.

If you bought your iPhone on or after May 27, AT&T is going to forgive your media illiteracy and will allow you to exchange your old iPhone for a new 3G model. Plus, they’ll reimburse the price difference between the old and the new, minus a 10% restocking fee.

So basically, they are punishing loyal customers and rewarding idiots. IIRC, when they did the price drop on the original iPhone, everyone who paids $599 for it was eligible for a $200 rebate.

If I could have waited to buy a new phone, I would have. But the receiver in my old phone had been loose for about 6 months, which meant that I usually had to shake my phone to hear the person on the other end, and half the time I STILL couldn't hear them. So I bought the iPhone not just to have an iPhone, but because I desperately need a new phone and I wanted something nice.

Also, it turns out that I'm technically ineligible for a 3G at the subsidized price. To get the $199 price, you need to sign a new two year contract with AT&T. I am currently on my brother's phone plan and do not wish to spin off into a separate account. So... meh.
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think there's any apple product I would ever, ever consider buying under any circumstances.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just find Steve Jobs and force feed him your iphone. Smile

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 09:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've avoided iPhones like the plague. Next month when my Sprint contract expires, I'm getting a Motorola Q Global. It doesn't have a touch screen, but has a full QWERTY keyboard, 3G, and Windows Mobile.

And, it's not going to cost me a dime.
S. McCracken
PostPosted: Jun 28 2008 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love Sprint's trade in program, but Windows Mobile is too cluttered for me. I have the Treo 650 with Palm OS and I love it. I may pick up the 800 at some point but it sure as hell won't be the 800W.

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All I have to say is fuck the iPhone and iPods. They are just overrated pieces of technology that will continue pissing people off with constant updates and revisions that make buying one now absurd since in six months a new model will arrive. I used to be a big Apple fan. Now, they have become pretty ho-hum to me. Their products don't seem to be built as well anymore. The Airbook or whatever it's called is pretty mediocre. I don't own an iPod, I own an MP3 player. Apple has gone beyond their comeback with the iMac and has plateaued to the iPod and iPhone. The folks at Apple really need to bring something fresh, new, and amazing to the game if they want to keep my attention. My challenge to apple is to make a sub 600 dollar computer with a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Ain't gonna happen but I can always dream.
crookshow
Title: Donkey Kong Savage
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair, it's not like the original iphone just came out, and it's also been speculated since late last year that a 3G iphone would be released this year.

Right now I have the blackberry curve and love it, even though it's about to be trumped by the new Bold model that has 3G. I bought the phone last november, and it was first released in june. That's how cell phone cycles work, every year manufacturers usually upgrade their models. That's why you're much better off entering 1 year contracts. You might save 50-100 bucks going with a 2 year, but if you're a gadget addict like me, saving that amount isn't worth a year of being stuck with an obsolete phone.

Also, I had the original Moto Q before I bought the blackberry. Windows Mobile was absolutely awful and I won't ever go back to it.
aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 01:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh fuck Apple. I wanted to get an mp3 player and my dad and I were looking at the iPod Nanos.... until the store clerk pointed out the other mp3 players that are half the price, hold twice as much, and last just as long. We got one of those. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

天上天下唯我独尊

JRA
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 03:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aika wrote:
Ugh fuck Apple. I wanted to get an mp3 player and my dad and I were looking at the iPod Nanos.... until the store clerk pointed out the other mp3 players that are half the price, hold twice as much, and last just as long. We got one of those. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

a) Remind me to ask you what kind of Mp3 player you have after my 4th iPod decides to break on me.

b) Syd I take it you don't own an iPod.

c) I've been reading this thread on an Apple iBook G4 and crying on the inside. Not because you hurt my Mac Fanboy feelings (because I don't have any), but just because its going to take the slightest fuck up for my laptop or iPod to kick the bucket. I've been through so many Apple products, and why? Because I like iTunes user friendlyness. What really pisses me off is my parents see all this and they think I'm just rough with technology. Bitches! If you saw how slow or stupid these things get you'd get "rough" with them too!

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 03:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the zune marketplace finally has tv shows and you can find the 1st gen 30gig models for about $100 so they might be a good bet

Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 04:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aika wrote:
half the price, hold twice as much

Don't forget that most of them FUNCTION better as well. My Cowon product, for example, properly supports all formats including FLAC, doesn't force some clumsy, bloated, restrictive and needless interface onto you (just drag-and-drop), supports voice recording with an on-board mic for taking audio notes or recording lectures/conversations AND line-in recording (you can actually go to a karaoke booth, plug the system straight into the tiny MP3 player and record yourself for fun, or record some backing vocals, etc. for a song (arguably not clean enough for the lead vocal track, obviously)). I can't imagine why all these idiots just walk straight to the ipods never questioning if they are the correct product for them...
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

its the trendy white headphones

crookshow
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I bought the original 5 gig iPod when it first came out, and 2 more since then. Right now I have the 80 gig classic model. It was only 199, whereas other models (ie samsung, creative, etc.) I was seeing at the time offered far less capacity for the same price. It may not support all the formats, but MP3 is all I use anyway. Itunes may suck, but it's still drag and drop. I honestly could care less for features like audio notes or recording. I mainly use it in my car and it's compatible with my receiver and it works well for me. Maybe it's not the right player for you, but for a lot of people it is, and that doesn't make them idiots. Also, I'm in no way an Apple guy. The iPod is the only product of theirs I've ever purchased.
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

crookshow wrote:
Maybe it's not the right player for you, but for a lot of people it is, and that doesn't make them idiots. Also, I'm in no way an Apple guy. The iPod is the only product of theirs I've ever purchased.

I said these idiots, referring to a subset of idiots, and I specified said idiots as not even considering other choices. You're obviously talking about choosing the iPod after comparison. So I don't follow what you mean.
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Adding to the iPod conversation. Someone pointed out that the iPod doesn't support all the trendy file formats. I know they can make a big difference in quality, but unless you have really expensive headphones, you're not going to hear the difference - so what's the point of taking up so much space on a player? I mean, come on. 30-meg sound files don't make sense to me.

I mean, really.

I like Apple, but you have a point about them fucking people over by releasing new stuff right after you buy something from them.

It's like they're constantly watching you, waiting for an opportunity to strike...

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

crookshow
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 06:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Come on, it's not like apple is the only one doing shit like that. Anytime you buy a piece of technology, it's more than likely going to be outdated within a couple years at best. Cell phones, particularly, have incredibly short life cycles, which makes sense since most people upgrade theirs every 2 years at most.
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
Adding to the iPod conversation. Someone pointed out that the iPod doesn't support all the trendy file formats. I know they can make a big difference in quality, but unless you have really expensive headphones, you're not going to hear the difference - so what's the point of taking up so much space on a player? I mean, come on. 30-meg sound files don't make sense to me.

What? First, sound quality doesn't have much to do with the price of earphones/headphones. Second, just because you can't perceive the quality difference doesn't mean there's no point to it. And third, supporting a variety of formats has to do with a lot more than sound quality. How about convenience? Choice? If you "get" an album in FLAC and your player's restrictive design forces you to re-encode it before you can use it, it's a waste of time. And by the way, Apple supports a lossless format too, it's just that they want you to use THEIRS and don't give you a say in it.

crookshow wrote:
Come on, it's not like apple is the only one doing shit like that. Anytime you buy a piece of technology, it's more than likely going to be outdated within a couple years at best. Cell phones, particularly, have incredibly short life cycles, which makes sense since most people upgrade theirs every 2 years at most.

You who is on your third iPod are one of the causes/justifications for this situation. Why not just make a good choice to begin with? I used my first player for 7 years, and I intend to use my current one for about that long. I've also only ever had one cell phone.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: