[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
So... when some new content?

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Mar 23 2006 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Like a blender.

I'm kidding. The forums are enough, but I keep checking the main site for updates.

I also like how all the giant man eating a bat pictures slowly became bigger.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 23 2006 06:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been working on an article for about a week now, and every day when I get out of work, I promise myself I'm going to finish it but I end up crashing or getting talked into going out. I really will try to get it finished tonight.

If I don't, it will absolutely be up Friday night.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 26 2006 01:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the new article and FWSE! You made my weekend! Very Happy

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 26 2006 01:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, glad you liked them.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Mar 26 2006 03:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love new articles. I read them once, then go back later and mouse over the pictures again. Sometimes I find new comments, sometimes the old comments have changed. Every time is an adventure. It's like an Easter Egg hunt everyday of the year.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd, did you just make a Seven Nations reference in the Aliens article??

Or is "Under the Milky Way Tonight" also sung by other people?

If the former, you get brownie points. They're redeemable for absolutely nothing, ufortunately.

EDIT: Not even brownies, ironically.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Under The Milky Way Tonight" was originally done by a band called The Church in the 80s. I was unaware Seven Nations covered it, so no brownie points for me...
BBH
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 04:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

honestly man, I think you were a little too hard on Aliens. Sure it's not one of the best or most memorable games Konami's ever produced, but I enjoyed it at the time and I don't think it's a horrible game now either. Sure it takes a lot of liberties with the plot and enemies, but think about it... if the game didn't introduce different kinds of enemies, wouldn't it get really boring killing the exact same enemies over and over? How would you differentiate those aliens, and what would be used for bosses other than the Queen? etc. etc. Hell, when I first played it I didn't think much of all the new enemies, I just thought "Why is Ripley's hair blonde?". (well, except for those creatures that instantly turn big when you shoot them and then go back to normal size until you do enough damage to make them permanently big. Seriously, what the hell?)

the Japanese version is missing the driving stages because Newt was cut out of the game entirely. I'm not exactly sure what the reason was for that, I thought Japan loved loli.

oh and kudos on the Lightning Crashes reference.

BBH's Waste of Bandwidth - shitty reviews of obscure arcade games

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 07:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

My main problem, I think, is that they took great liberties with the plot but still didn't manage to give the game any significant length. One thing I didn't mention in the game was the lackluster power-up placement. In the factory default settings if the eUS and World versions, power-ups are given to you at incredibly infrequent intervals. Some power-ups, such as food and super bombs, are only given to you once in the entire game. Oddly enough, the Japanese version has increased power-up placement; the Japanese versions of games are usually harder.

I probably was a little hard on Aliens though. If I had never played Capcom's Alien vs. Predator or if the game had been made by a lower level company like Jaleco or Bandai, then I might have been inclined to be more forgiving. It's not the worst game ever, but it is very mediocre for a Konami title.
BBH
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah the game isn't particularly long, but then again it was one of those arcade games that was mostly meant for a quick playthrough by casual players instead of having deep replay value.

In regards to weapon placement, I could've sworn that the weapons show up in exactly the same places in all the romsets, but I could be wrong. The major difference with the Japanese version is that you get to keep your weapon between stages, so you never have to lose the flamethrower (definitely the best weapon) unless you die. The Super Bombs do only appear like twice though. As for the food, it definitely appears in the same locations on all romsets, but it only shows up when you have a certain amount of health. I think on the Japanese version food will start appearing if you have 5 hit points or less, on the World version it's 4, and on the US version it's 3. So it'll seem like the Japanese version gives out food more often since you don't need to have lost as much life in the first place. Also, I think the game awards a 1-Up after you kill the dandelion-shooting boss on the World/Japanese romsets, but not in the US one.... yup, US version is clearly the hardest.

And actually, most Konami games that were released around the late 80's / early 90's were made harder for the US market. Like, the Japanese version of X-Men actually has enemies that will award life-up/extra mutant powers, which were completely absent in the US version. Japanese version of The Simpsons lets you build up a "second" lifebar and has a better scoring system. The worst of all though are Crime Fighters and Metamorphic Force, where they gave Japan regular lifebars but then for the US they implemented lame Gauntlet-style numerical lifebars that tick down over time, basically making it impossible to play as long on one credit. To think I never would have known all these things without MAME...

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 07:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Japanese version of The Simpsons also had a few Nuclear Bombs placed throughout the game that you could pick up and throw, with typical bomb effect.
Tebor
PostPosted: Apr 12 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*Bump*

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Apr 13 2006 05:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

The US version of Contra hard corps is supposedly harder, you can get hit 3 times before dying in the japanese version. Any support for this claim?
BBH
PostPosted: Apr 14 2006 07:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
The US version of Contra hard corps is supposedly harder, you can get hit 3 times before dying in the japanese version. Any support for this claim?

100% true.

Moral of the story - Konami fucking hates America.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 15 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
*Bump*

How about now?
Tebor
PostPosted: Aug 03 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do we have an ETA for the new article? Not to rush you; I can't even finish my own damn articles. Next week? Two weeks?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 03 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully it will be done within a week. When it *is* done, it is should take at least a couple hours to read.
Tebor
PostPosted: Aug 04 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
When it *is* done, it is should take at least a couple hours to read.

HOLY CRAP!!! Shocked

I think the longest I've taken to read an article yet was that Taito article which I believe took me two weeks to finish reading... not all in one sitting mind you.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Aug 06 2006 04:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think it'd be funnier if from now on you say it WAS in one sitting.

Kurt
PostPosted: Aug 06 2006 07:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He probably could have done it. Tebor lives purely off the magic of the Internet.
Tebor
PostPosted: Aug 06 2006 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kurt wrote:
He probably could have done it. Tebor lives purely off the magic of the Internet.

You're forgetting the cool air of movie theaters, heat of bonfires, and stink of Wizard conventions.
Now shut the hell up Twisted Evil

GreenFire1
PostPosted: Aug 18 2006 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Uh... Syd? That was a nice Centipede article, but it wasn't two hours of reading. And I checked all the images for alt text, despite that game reviews don't have a great precedent of captioning. So can I assume that the big article is still on its way? I'm assuming that anyway, by the way.

EDIT: ...never mind. I should probably learn to check the news whenever there's a new article, huh?

The opinion I hold of fanfics in general is that they are like the night sky. The good ones are the stars, and the shittastic ones fill the black space in between.
- Original quote

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 18 2006 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the site's news page wrote:
The super mega article that I’ve been promising STILL isn’t done, so instead here’s an article on the Centipede board game to help fill the void. Enjoy.

EDIT: Didn't see you edited your post. Guess I should learn to read better. Embarrassed
GreenFire1
PostPosted: Aug 19 2006 03:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hooray, we're even! And I'm still waiting in anticipation for the glorious super-article.

The opinion I hold of fanfics in general is that they are like the night sky. The good ones are the stars, and the shittastic ones fill the black space in between.
- Original quote

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Sep 03 2006 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be too forward to demand another segment of 'Late night with Pander T Panda'?

That shit is funny. "Tellah! Noooo!"

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Reply to topic

Jump to: