"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
2008 SydLexia.com NES Championship

Reply to topic
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: May 17 2008 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How will this work? I mean, will there be a section of the game we need to complete in a certain amount of time, or will we need to get a certain score in a certain amount of time? I mean, if we're going to be making videos, the files might get pretty large if there are no time constraints. May I suggest different types of gameplay? For example a time trial round where the object is to beat the level in the shortest amount of time. Ties can be resolved by giving the person with more health or whatever the win. Or a high score round for scrolling shooters. You know, stuff like that to add another dimension into the competition.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: May 17 2008 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

erock462 wrote:
well i dont mind coming lats place. but it will probably skewer the results a bit, so ill just play em on my own for fun without sending in results.

I don't think it will. If you come in first one round and last the next for not playing, that doesn't skewer anything, that just means the person who would've come in second will come in first if you don't play.

docinsano wrote:
How will this work? I mean, will there be a section of the game we need to complete in a certain amount of time, or will we need to get a certain score in a certain amount of time? I mean, if we're going to be making videos, the files might get pretty large if there are no time constraints. May I suggest different types of gameplay? For example a time trial round where the object is to beat the level in the shortest amount of time. Ties can be resolved by giving the person with more health or whatever the win. Or a high score round for scrolling shooters. You know, stuff like that to add another dimension into the competition.

This is going to remain a mystery for the time being, but we'll say that if you have to do something, say like a challenge, it's not gonna be like a 45 minute ordeal. So size shouldn't be an issue.

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: May 17 2008 08:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll do it. As long as there arent any crizazy "beat startropics without dying" deals ill be alright.

crookshow
Title: Donkey Kong Savage
PostPosted: May 17 2008 08:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's skew, not skewer. The latter would be for roasting meat.
erock
Title: likes to party
PostPosted: May 17 2008 08:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

maybe thats what i meant. i am pretty hungry
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: May 17 2008 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shut up, Dorn wrote:
I'll do it. As long as there arent any crizazy "beat startropics without dying" deals ill be alright.

Laughing I assure you there will not be any beat this whole game with..., type things.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 17 2008 09:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So no beating Super C using only the machine gun?

*Stops training*

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: May 17 2008 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
So no beating Super C using only the machine gun?

*Stops training*

I'm not saying its definitly out. Smile

docinsano
PostPosted: May 17 2008 09:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

May I make a proposition? I think it would be fair if a list of about 100 (or more depending on the number of participants) games be made available to the participants so they may be able to practice with some sort of direction. You're only picking ten games so there's only a ten percent chance the game chosen for the round if you listed 100 games. How many games are on the NES roster, something like 800 I think. It's sure a hell of a lot of games and I would rather not just randomly play a game from from a list thats just shy of a thousand. I've devised a formula to keep the playing field even, but it can be adjusted as needed. Okay here it is: take 100 of the games and add the number of participants that you expect to participate. This way if my math is correct there will only be close to a ten percent chance of anyone getting a clear advantage on a particular game. I mean, you'd have to complete ten games a day at this point to have any real advantage. If athletes get to practice to prepare for a big game, gamers need to practice before the big tourney as well. Just consider it, I won't argue if you say no.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 17 2008 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

or just announce the game one day, give them a deadline of about 3 days or whatever to practice and by the end of the third day they must have their video submitted?

so, for example, i announce a game sunday may 18 and people must have their videos of said challenge submitted by wednesday 12pm EDT.

i dont think ill participate but that seems easier than what docinsano proposed. your idea makes sense docinsano, but it just seems like a chore imo.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: May 17 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
or just announce the game one day, give them a deadline of about 3 days or whatever to practice and by the end of the third day they must have their video submitted?

so, for example, i announce a game sunday may 18 and people must have their videos of said challenge submitted by wednesday 12pm EDT.

i dont think ill participate but that seems easier than what docinsano proposed. your idea makes sense docinsano, but it just seems like a chore imo.

It would be an annoyance to list 100 games, but if you want a list check out the top 100 on this site, I'm sure most of which, if not all, will come from there.
As far as the 3 days thing, the game is announced at the start of the week, you then have 7 days to come up with a winning time or score.

So basically, not to sound like a power hungry asshole, you will have enough time to practice and what not without knowing what it might be prior.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 18 2008 01:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
username wrote:

It would be an annoyance to list 100 games, but if you want a list check out the top 100 on this site, I'm sure most of which, if not all, will come from there.
As far as the 3 days thing, the game is announced at the start of the week, you then have 7 days to come up with a winning time or score.

So basically, not to sound like a power hungry asshole, you will have enough time to practice and what not without knowing what it might be prior.

your suggestion is perfect douche, that way those that dont have all day to play because of work or whatever can at least practice a couple of times before they turn in their video.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Bluey
Title: 99 Beserkers
PostPosted: May 18 2008 02:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I don't really know what I meant by keeping a diary during this championship. I think what I was thinking was I could extract some comedy from it, but I think that only applies if you're playing absurdly bad games like Action 52 or if you're sucking so bad at a game that it's hilarious (like me and Castlevania).

I guess I'll cross and/or holy water this bridge when I come to it.

Image - This is Bluey's health meter. When it runs out he has to quit the forum.
My Sydapedia page lists my game collection and friend codes, if you're interested.

docinsano
PostPosted: May 18 2008 02:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
your suggestion is perfect douche, that way those that dont have all day to play because of work or whatever can at least practice a couple of times before they turn in their video.

Wow, can you say brown-nose? Smile

Seriously speaking, you're right , it is indeed a good plan.
Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: May 19 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll sign up, albeit I'd probably suck. By any chance do we have a tentative starting date?
Also, I don't do much NES emulation, so if somone can fill me in as to the easiest emulator to use, with easy recording?
docinsano
PostPosted: May 19 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Posters/Lurkers - SIGN UP!!!!! Contest starts on the 27th. I don't want to hear any complaints about not being able to sign up.

There ya are dummies, the contest starts on the 27th..
Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: May 19 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Confused
Sorry 'bout that, I had some downtime between classes and was in hurry
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 19 2008 04:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm warming up!

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: May 19 2008 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I'm warming up!

Looks lie you need a controller lol!

docinsano
PostPosted: May 19 2008 05:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How many FPS should I be recording at? I wanted to post my practice video but it seems choppy.
McScurvy
PostPosted: May 19 2008 06:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds like fun, count me in.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 19 2008 07:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I'm warming up!

Looks lie you need a controller lol!

For fucks sake.. that was WITH a controller.

I just suck at NES.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 19 2008 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My next try...

Super C...

GRRRR...... I hate sucking this bad.

RayJack
PostPosted: May 20 2008 02:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, sign me up too! This sounds like super fun.

THIS IS SO EXCITING wondering what games are to be included. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet we see a Megaman game in this, I just wonder which one.
JonSnow
PostPosted: May 20 2008 02:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I' d be interested in particpatign, if it's not too late, though i'm not quite how this all works..

Are we trying to beat these games, becuase 10 games is alot to beat... are there mini-games within them where we attempt to get a certain high score...

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Reply to topic

Jump to: