"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Game Genie

Reply to topic
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Jul 11 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, you're right, that thing did facilitate laziness and allow you to beat games without being good. However, one must not frown upon the ability to infinitely jump while in mid-air in Super Mario 3.

Does anyone else remember the little passage about "Bowser's Time Trap" for the "start and stay as" codes?
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jul 11 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to vouch for Game Genie. Sure, it addicted me into invincible-envy with video games the rest of my life, but in the long run, I like being invincible. As a fan of action movies where the main characters are indestrucable, I want that same experience in digital recreations. So games like "Medal of Honor" become boring as hell after awhile, I play for plot, not for experience.

And yet, I never have invincibility on when I play a "Tomb Raider" game... hmmmm...

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 11 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Game Genie wasn't all bad... it did give me the power to find out what happens when you jump over the flagpole in SMB1.

The answer? Nothing.

These days, devices like Gameshark and Action Replay are more than just simple cheating devices. With many games, they allow you to unlock unimplemented features and things like that. For example, you could use GameShark to unlock Wrath as a playable character in nWo Revenge or to use the Egypt level in 4 player multiplayer in Goldeneye. There really wasn't alot of stuff like that you could do on the NES and most of it wasn't possible with the Game Genie. For example, there are several unfinished and prototype versions of levels hidden in the code of SMB3, but only one or two of them are playable via Game Genie. The rest require a rom patch.

Game Genie also doesn't let you see unused SMB3 bonus games run by a Hammer Brother and Koopa Trooper: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_lost.shtml
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 09:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
Does anyone else remember the little passage about "Bowser's Time Trap" for the "start and stay as" codes?

Yes indeed.

I enjoyed that Game Genie allowed us to find out what happened next in games that otherwise slaughtered us at level four. It was years before I was able to beat SMB2 legitimately, but I was glad I got to see the ending back when it was actually cool to me, thanks to GG.

Also, it was fun to try out utterly random codes and see what happened.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You could have skipped Level 4 entirely.... In Level 3, there's a warp to Level 5.

But yeah, Level 4 could be a bitch. I almost always took the warp in 4-2 because I hated facing Fryguy. 4-2 was a bitch in and of itself though... the part with the Beezos used to annoy the hell out of me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 03:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Heh. Actually, "level four" was just arbitrary. In SMB2, I usually skipped from 1-3 to 4-1 and from 4-2 to 6-1.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's usually what I did.... To change things up, I'd ocassionally play to Level 3 and then jump from 3-1 to 5-1 and then from 5-3 to 7-3.
B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Jul 13 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

game genie is pretty awesome. I had one for NES,as well as genesis.
since then i've never purchased an action replay or game shark,or even used one.

ACTUALLY

i used my friends action replay to unlock the test area of Zelda: the wind waker
(where there is actually CLEAR water as opposed to the blue cell shaded water)

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Joe_Killer
Title: Professional Amature
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 07:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I gotta vouche for Game Genie...Game Genie gave me the edge I needed in Streets of Rage 3 to get the BEST Ending, a fucking feat of skill if you could get it without (I couldn't Sad )

Also, it was good for a good laugh if the game in question throwing you into controller destroying tantrums...its always good to return the favor.

IT'S ALWAYS THE CONTROLLERS FAULT!!! Rolling Eyes

"It's time for some unicorn on the cob."

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to like trying to make my own codes with the Game Genie...

Of course, I had no idea of how the thing words, so I'd usually try real words like SOULLESS. I tried for two hours one day to invent a Dragon Warrior 3 code that would start me with sick stats or cool items, but the only noticeable effects I was ever able to generate were palette changes.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you input POOPTV for SMB1, the game wouldn't start. You'd just get a black screen....

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

PolarisSLBM
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Game Genie was great for games that were inexplicably designed stupidly hard.

Like The Hunt For Red October. Even using invincibility or infinite lives (which I called 'infinity lives' at the time), I still lost at that bomb hunt-tracking thing.

And it made me sad to see Sean Connery get shot and fall down.

Some years later, I actually did beat it, but it was on emulator and I had to use about three-dozen save states. It was mean.
Reply to topic

Jump to: