[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Futurama is back...in 08

Reply to topic
shadowforce420
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 02:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Futurama" Pulls a "Family Guy"

By Gina Serpe
Fri Jun 23, 10:59 AM ET

Comedy Central is going back to the Futurama.

Three years after the show last aired on prime time, the cable net has signed a deal to resurrect the former Fox animated series for a minimum 13-episode run.

Comedy Central will start airing the new shows in 2008.

"We are thrilled that Matt Groening and 20th Century Fox Television have decided to produce new episodes of Futurama and that Comedy Central will be the first to air them," said David Bernath, the cable net's senior VP.

The new episode order is part of a larger deal Comedy Central made with the production company last year, when they bought the syndicated rights to Futurama's 72-episode library.

"There is a deep and passionate fan base for this intelligent and very funny show that matches perfectly with our audience, and it is great that we can offer them not just the existing library but something they've never seen as well," Bernath told the Hollywood Reporter.

The offbeat show was the brainchild of The Simpsons mastermind Groening and writer David X. Cohen and debuted on Fox in March 1999. The series revolved around Fry, a pizza delivery boy who is accidentally frozen for a thousand years. When he wakes up in the year 3000, he befriends a sassy one-eyed pilot, Leela, and a cranky robot, Bender, who both work for an intergalactic delivery service run by a distant nephew of Fry's.

In August 2003, after five seasons and three Emmys, including the 2002 award for Best Animated Series, Futurama was canceled due to low ratings.

Reruns of the show, however, were picked up by Cartoon Network, and just like cable home did with Family Guy before it, the move paved the way for a Futurama revival.

Both shows aired on the Cartoon Network and quickly built up unexpectedly robust ratings.

In 2004, Stewie & Co. were resuscitated by to Fox thanks to staggering DVD sales--the show ranks as the fourth-biggest TV series seller ever--and its proliferation in reruns.

In January of this year, 20th Century Fox began talks with Comedy Central to revive the long-gone Futurama as well, thanks to its resurgence in popularity courtesy of its second life in reruns and high--though not Family Guy high--DVD sales.

The cable net has already re-signed voice stars Billy West,
Katey Sagal and John DiMaggio to reprise their animated roles.

In the meantime, new Futurama plots can already be had in comic book form, with Groening's Bongo Comics releasing the stories.

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." - Jesse Ventura

R.I.P. Sherri

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, great news. I just wish the episodes were going to be on Adult Swim. I guess they didn't have the money for it.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Yep, great news. I just wish the episodes were going to be on Adult Swim. I guess they didn't have the money for it.

They blew it all on Saved by the Bell.
shadowforce420
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
Cattivo wrote:

They blew it all on Saved by the Bell.

Don't forget Pee Wee's Playhouse.

R.I.P. Sherri

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 05:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*is still holding out hope The Critic will be revived*
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
shadowforce420
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 05:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd, did you ever see the webisodes, I don't have the direct link to the episodes but they're on cybernetjump.com, there are 10 of them. For the futurama fans, here a clip of Al Gore and Bender http://youtube.com/watch?v=5BjrOi4vF24

R.I.P. Sherri

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I have seen them. They were on Shockwave.com at one point and they're on the Critic DVD set.

Al Gore is a Level 8 Vice President.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 05:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Tebor's theory on the Critic: The World Trade Center Towers were iconic images for the Critic both on the show and the webshow. The last episode of The Critic produced was on the web, which focused on the release of Pearl Harbor before 9/11. Stands to reason Jay Sherman was killed in the 9/11 attacks and why we haven't seen him in five years.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 07:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually you can still catch like 2 hour blocks of The Critic on Comedy Central's "Why the hell haven't you passed out yet?" hours heh.

In regards to ressurecting Futurama, I'm glad it's going to be on Comedy Central and not FOX (which would likely die off because not everyone would be willing to sit through an assanine sitcom with maybe two decent jokes to fill its 22 minutes of script--I'm looking at you War at Home).

Is it me or does FOX just not have a clue as to when and how they should show their animation? Granted, I don't care that much for American Dad (I give it two more seasons, tops), but it almost seems like the guys in charge of Sunday evening programming just got drunk and threw darts.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

rj815
Title: Dslycixe
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 07:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Like lordsathien said, isn't it still around on CC? I've definitely seen it there, but I don't know if it's still around.

I'm glad Futurama is making a comeback, it was weird, but it was a pretty funny and good show sometimes.

I know you may think this is strange, but I wish the Dilbert series would come back. It's not over-the-top funny, but it has its moments. It's much like an animated Office Space.

Permanently under construction.
"We have to kill the animals, or else they die!" ~ South Park
"The Window is now open, may the rain drizzle in." ~ RegalSin (slightly edited)
S. McCracken wrote:
Fuck, you really are a retard.

RegalSin wrote:
The retard who plays Mortal Kombat.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 08:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rj815 wrote:
Like lordsathien said, isn't it still around on CC? I've definitely seen it there, but I don't know if it's still around.

I know you may think this is strange, but I wish the Dilbert series would come back. It's not over-the-top funny, but it has its moments. It's much like an animated Office Space.

I think Syd meant new episodes of The Critic. CC still airs the old episodes (available on DVD Wink )

I was a fan of the Dilbert show, but it was hardly the animated "Office Space" I wish it was. Mutants, Bob Bastards, and Stephen Hawking aside the show was still mighty weird, grounded in fantasy rather than humor in the real workplace. Occassionally, you had moments of it on the show though. My favorite being: The name is the last thing you do (developing a product)! (Dilbert also available on DVD. At Amazon, you could usually buy the two shows together and save $10.)

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

RegalSin
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 09:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Old news
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I'd love to see more episodes of The Critic. I wish that was even a remote possibility.

As for Dilbert, I definitely agree it was grounded more in fantasy than office humor. Probably the best example of that is the absolutely-on-crack season/series finale, which managed to be almost -- but not quite -- entirely unlike Dilbert. Not to say it wasn't a highly enjoyable series, though.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The part of Futurama coming back is that we will now be able to see more Zapp Brannigan. He's one of my favorite cartoon characters ever!

Chrisby
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"When I'm in command, EVERY mission is a suicide mission!"
rj815
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and I said an animated Office Space because it was the only Office humor thing I could think of besides Dilbert. In any case, I wholeheartedly agree it was kind of insane and filled with fantasy. It was still enjoyable though.

S. McCracken wrote:

RegalSin wrote:

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just hope they don't try to make Futurama more "edgy" or "hip" or "over the top" like Spike did when they brought back Ren & Stimpy.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

rj815
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 03:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
I just hope they don't try to make Futurama more "edgy" or "hip" or "over the top" like Spike did when they brought back Ren & Stimpy.

Speaking of which, that show was absolute garbage. I'm glad it was cancelled almost instantly. In fact, I do think after their first (or second, don't remember how many) episodes, they were never aired again.

I think CC should do a good job with Futurama, they try to show the best of their shows. For instance, they only show the old MadTV reruns with people who where actually funny some of the time. All the new ones on Fox are pretty much crap minus a handful of good scenes.

S. McCracken wrote:

RegalSin wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: