[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Downloading Comics is Illegal

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Nov 23 2007 02:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://torrentfreak.com/marvel-dc-comics-target-bittorrent-071122/

Quote:
When Demonoid disappeared recently, many people were sad at losing access to a great selection of comics. Those people are about to become even more upset as Marvel and DC Comics launch a twin strategy to shutdown a comic torrent community and target usenet uploaders.

A little while ago when Marvel mentioned BitTorrent in one of its comics, it seemed quite an amusing thing to do. Seen by some as a gentle swipe at an unauthorized source, perhaps suggesting an uneasy but peaceful co-existence.

A couple of months down the line and this analysis couldn’t be further from the truth. Marvel are getting into the online digital comic business these days and their attitude seems to have changed. It’s time to take down trackers and take on Usenet uploaders.

Popular comic book tracker Z-Cult FM was threatened by Marvel and DC Comics, as site admin ‘Serj’ explained: “We got legal letters from both Marvel and DC Comics who have been working together to send us these legal threats. We are currently dealing with the legal issues and they have given us 3 days before they are forced to take anymore action.”

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Nov 23 2007 03:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Because it's worked so well with any other form of media vs. piracy...
Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 26 2007 02:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Nov 26 2007 03:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

They always do.

With comics, it seems so dumb, because there's old stuff that simply isn't reprinted any more, even in TPB form. So if I track it down online, who is it hurting? The guy who runs the comic shop and is maybe charging out the ass for something simply because it's old.

And if it's new, well... $3+ for a super thin comic is just highway robbery. Not that I read any Marvel/DC stuff monthly, but if I did, I'd probably buy half and pirate the rest.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 18 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

especially with how DC is runnign things. I'd be starving and homeless if I bought all of their books every month to keep up to speed!

I'd like to know how I'm expected to read out of print comics that I can't even buy from the company's website if I can't download them.

"nope, we're sorry that you weren't old enough when maximum carnage came out, you're shit out of luck, you'll never read one of the greatest spiderman events ever!"

Tebor
PostPosted: Dec 18 2007 01:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

JEW wrote:
I'd like to know how I'm expected to read out of print comics that I can't even buy from the company's website if I can't download them.

"nope, we're sorry that you weren't old enough when maximum carnage came out, you're shit out of luck, you'll never read one of the greatest spiderman events ever!"

I REALLY sympathize. That's happened to me more than once.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 18 2007 01:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

half of these comics I'm downlaoding and reading now, I NEVER knew EXISTED back when they were in print.

Reply to topic

Jump to: