"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
DC Comic Question

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Nov 01 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since I didn't know much about Hawkgirl, I started reading her bio on Wikipedia. What struck me was that one incarnation, Kendra Saunders, killed herself and then was possessed by Hawkgirl's spirit... This reminded me immediately of Linda Danvers who died and fused with Supergirl. Was there a DC memo that went out saying: Let's reinvent our characters by fusing them with regular teenagers, that'll bring up readership! I understand why DC would make that decision, but that's some lame reinvention IMO.

Were there any other superheroes getting fused with regular kids during this time period?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 02 2007 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Since I didn't know much about Hawkgirl, I started reading her bio on Wikipedia. What struck me was that one incarnation, Kendra Saunders, killed herself and then was possessed by Hawkgirl's spirit... This reminded me immediately of Linda Danvers who died and fused with Supergirl. Was there a DC memo that went out saying: Let's reinvent our characters by fusing them with regular teenagers, that'll bring up readership! I understand why DC would make that decision, but that's some lame reinvention IMO.

Were there any other superheroes getting fused with regular kids during this time period?

No idea, I do know that Jubilee's original concept was basically a female mutant Robin (it kinda makes sense with that color scheme).

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 03 2007 01:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
No idea, I do know that Jubilee's original concept was basically a female mutant Robin (it kinda makes sense with that color scheme).

But Jubilee was an original mutant character. Hawkgirl and Supergirl existed long before DC decided to bring them back by fusing them with dead (or nigh-dead), young women.

Lots of classic characters get killed off and then return, but these two examples really stand out to me as being truly absurd. Sure, Green Arrow had no reason to come back, but at least he wasn't animating some rapscallion's body! It sounded like to bring readership up, DC thought they should imply that any regular reader could become their "favorite" character. Hey, if we have stories of regular kids meeting their favorite characters on Earth, the next best step is to have them BECOME them!

...Okay, I realize now this whole thing only interests me. Embarrassed

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 03 2007 06:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

At a time when teenage suicide was on the decline, DC was approached the US government to help them promote a pro-suicide agenda that would help keep the U.S. population from reaching critical mass. So DC starting printing comics where people died or committed suicide and came back as superheroes, hoping it would encourage kids to kill themselves. DC abandoned this plan when the U.S. government realized that due to the vast number of illegal immigrants entering the country, the comics were no longer a viable form of population control.

Since that time, the government was been releasing gas that turns people inside out in Mexico to kill the problem at its source. The gas is actually produced in Mexico at Coca-Cola bottling plants, and it is distributed to unsuspecting victims through seemingly harmless Coke cans. This plan was put into action with full cooperation from former Mexican president and Coca-Cola executive Vicente Fox.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Nov 03 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Billy Batson has always been a kid (except in Kingdom Come where he's a maladjusted adult) and Captain Marvel is one of the old school DC characters...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 03 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Captain Marvel is one of the old school DC characters...

There's also the Ultraverse's Prime.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 13 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since this is a comic book thread I figured I would post this I read on the BBC. I'm sure you guys probably already knew about it, but in case you didnt, here goes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7093358.stm

BBCnews.com wrote:
Comic book giant Marvel has made 2,500 of its back issues available online in an attempt to introduce its characters to a younger, computer-savvy audience.
One tenth, 250 in all, will be able to read free of charge for a limited time.

Subscribers to the service will have access to the first issues of titles including The Amazing Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four and The Incredible Hulk.

New issues, however, will not go online until at least six months after they first appear in print.

Customers will not be able to download the comics either, which can only be viewed in a web browser window.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 15 2007 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard about it, but since most of those are already on CD, what's the point? I rather the whole recent Marvel universe comics be put online for a monthly subscription and they'd just update those (like a legal version of DCP). But I'm just lazy and don't want to buy single issues...

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 18 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

when I do buy comics, which is very rarely, I like to get TPBs or compilations, and keep them all neat on my bookshelf. I don't think I'd PAY to downlaod comics.

Reply to topic

Jump to: