SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Lordsathien's Actor's Spotlight (September)

Reply to topic
Poll :: Am I getting better or worse at these?

Better
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Worse
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 03:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"If Picard can baldly go, why not Picardo?" -- Robert "Bob" Picardo"

ImageImageImage

Bio
Picardo "Bob" Picardo was born October 27th, 1953 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (the East Falls area) to Joe Picardo. He is an Italian-American, with his father's family originating from Naples and his mother's from Bomba in Abruzzo. He Graduated from William Penn Charter School in 1971 and originally entered Yale University as a pre-med student, but opted to act instead.
He is married to Linda Pawlik (October 21st, 1984-current) and has two daughers Nicollette Arianna (born March 14, 1989) and Gina Emira (born November 3, 1991)

Star Trek
* The Doctor on Voyager and in STV: Elite Force (as well as its expansion), and Star Trek: The Experience's Borg Invasion 4-D.
* Lewis Zimmerman (The Doctor's creator) on Voyager and the DS9 episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?"
* Emergency Medical Hologram (a brief appearance) in the feature film Star Trek: First Contact.
* Picardo is the only "Star Trek" regular to have ever written an episode for Star Trek; the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Life Line".
* Had originally auditioned for the role of Neelix on Voyager.
* Along with George Takei and Robert Duncan McNeill, Picardo is the only other Trek regular to wear all three uniform colors.
-- Blue (medical) in every episode of Voyager, the aformentioned DS9 episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?" and in First Contact as the Emergency Medical Hologram
-- Gold (operations/security) in the Voyager episode "The Swarm" and the DS9 episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?"
-- Red (command) in the Voyager episodes "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" and "Workforce parts 1 & 2."

Notable Non-Star Trek Acting/Roles
Note: Roles marked with a # involve Joe Dante.
Looking over Picardo's body of work, Joe Dante comes up repeatedly. The two are in fact long-time friends and it was Dante who got Picardo onto the silver screen after Dante witnessed him perform on Broadway. Picardo's appeared in Gemini and Tribute on Broadway.
* NID Agent Richard Woolsey on both Stargate television shows, beginning with the SG-1 episode "Heroes (Part 2)." Picardo is an avid fan of SG-1.
* Coach Cutlip on The Wonder Years. The only role that earned him a 1989 Emmy nomination in the category of "Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy Series."
* Amazo/Blackhawk (voice) in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.
* Principal White in the upcoming Ben 10: Race Against Time (the live action Ben 10 movie).
# Forster in Gremlins 2: The New Batch
* Meg Mucklebones in Ridley Scott's film Legend.
# Ralph in Small Soldiers (the scientist responsible for the creation of the microprocessor that was central to the story)
# Starkiller/Wak/Wak and Neek's Father in Explorers.
# Funeral Director Rick Raddnitz from the "Roast Your Loved One" segment of Amazon Women on the Moon.
* Joe "The Meat Man" Morton in two episodes in the 3rd season of Home Improvement. "A Sew, Sew Evening," and "Blow-Up."
* Stan Jamison in the independent film "P.J.", alongside John Heard and Vincent Pastore.
* Dr. Dick Richards on China Beach
# Eddie Quist in The Howling.
# Acme VP of Rhetorical Questions in Looney Tunes: Back In Action
# The Cowboy in Innerspace.
* Arthur Lennox, an enraged father in Cold Case episode "Knuckle Up".
* Larry Kincaid, a media representative in 3 episodes of E-Ring.

Non-Acting Life
Away from acting, Picardo is a member of the Board of Directors' Advisory Council of The Planetary Society, where he has served since the late 1990's. His current pre-recorded voice appears on the Society's radio show.
In 2002, Picardo authored the book The Hologram's Handbook, published by Pocket Books.
Picardo performed in Leonard Bernstein's Mass in D during its European debut tour, alongside with the Yale University Society of Orpheus & Bacchus a cappella singing group as an undergraduate.
Picardo is also a keen hobbyist; his most notable achievements include placing fifth in the SOCAL Hula Dance Championships in both 1982 and 1993. Picardo has been married to Linda Pawlik since 1984 and has two daughters.

Planetary Society
A not-for-profict organization dedicated to the exploration of Mars as well as the rest of the Solar System, as well as searches for Near Earth Objects and extraterrestrial life.
Includes such notable people as Alan Shephard, Steven Spielberg, Bill Nye (vice president), Buzz Aldrin, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, and John Rhys-Davies.

Personal Quotes
"If Picard can baldly go, why not Picardo?"

"I am always amazed when I travel abroad that Stargate has become huge. It's huge in Britain. It's far eclipsed Star Trek. It's now huge in Germany. I understand they're making big inroads in other countries." --on how the success of SG- has surpassed that of "Star Trek" in recent years.

"I came to the Star Trek franchise a little late. I got into it, I married a woman who's a big Star Trek fan, so, even though I was not into it when I was a kid, in order to court my wife I had to go to Star Trek movies. You know, I think she had a thing for Captain Kirk, right when she was hitting puberty -- which is really when they get you! And, uh, I really grew to understand and appreciate the quality of Star Trek storytelling. And then, when I joined the Voyager franchise, and really became knowledgeable about Star Trek -- and watched more and more of the other shows, that preceded us -- I think that I became a Star Trek fan in my own right, as well as a Star Trek actor."

"Prosthetic make-up is very constricting to wear. The actors who are most successful in it are willing to be very expressive to make the make-up look real and move real. Working in make-up is more emotional acting than regular acting, like you're singing an aria; you let it invade your whole body."

Trivia
* "The Gift" and "One Small Step" are the names of episodes Picardo appears in from both China Beach and Voyager.
* "Prototype" is the name of an episode he appears in in both Voyager and SG-1.
* Picardo is an accomplished singer

and has also put out a CD of parody songs.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 03:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Notable Non-Star Trek Acting/Roles
Note: Roles marked with a # involve Joe Dante.

How could you leave out the Joe-Dante-related "roast your loved one" Funeral Home host from Amazon Women on the Moon? Shocked

Didn't know he had done so much stuff, though!
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 03:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
How could you leave out the Joe-Dante-related "roast your loved one" Funeral Home host from Amazon Women on the Moon? Shocked

I'd never seen the movie so I didn't know the role. *edits*

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Cattivo
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 03:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He also played "Mark Dark" in 976-Evil.

I completely forgot about his role in the Wonder Years - probably because you never see reruns of that show anywhere anymore.

While I wasn't a fan of Voyager, he certainly did a good job in it.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 03:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
I completely forgot about his role in the Wonder Years - probably because you never see reruns of that show anywhere anymore.

Actually, ION (formerly known as PAX) shows an hour of it at 10 p.m. Eastern.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Picardo rules.

Picardo also starred as Mark Dark in 976-EVIL, a deliciously awful 1989 horror movie that is notable for a two reasons:

1. It marked the directorial debut by Robert Englund
2. It was co-written by Brian Helgeland and Rhet Topham. It is credited with writing the story for the equally awful horror film Trick Or Treat, while Helgeland has worked on a number of a high profile screenplays including Nightmare On Elmstreet 4, Assassins, L.A. Confidential, Conspiracy Theory, The Postman, Payback, A Knight's Tale, Bloodwork, Mystic River, The Order, and Man On Fire. He also directed two of the movies he wrote, both of them pitifully bad: A Knight's Tale and The Order, both starring Heath Ledger. He also directed Payback, but the studio fired his ass and rewrote and reshot almost a third of the film. The Helgeland cut of the film was released on DVD in 2006, but Helgeland fucked with it a little bit, altering his original ending slightly. The true Helgeland cut of the film only exists as a bootleg screener with mediocre sound and video quality.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I already mentioned that, so Razz Very Happy

976-Evil is such a great 80s B-Horror movie, full of actors that mostly never went anywhere in their careers. I also love how Spike is the cliche badboy with a heart of gold. Patrick O'Bryan did such a better job with that archetype than James Marshall as James Hurley in Twin Peaks. Maybe James wouldn't have been such an annoying character if O'Bryan portrayed him.

Just never watch 976-Evil 2. Instead of being a fun, bad movie, it's just a plain bad movie - and Picardo isn't even in it. In fact, I think it was a straight to video release.
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 05:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm watching Voyager while I'm reading this.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 24 2007 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
I already mentioned that, so Razz Very Happy

Yeah, I noticed that. When I was typing that, there were no replies, and I was too laxy to edit once I saw you had already mentioned it.

Also, Picardo was in Matinee, which is a VERY underrated Joe Dante film.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 26 2007 01:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed, Picardo rules. He will always have a role in anything I work on... granted I have the green to hire him. Rolling Eyes

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

worstamericanhero
Title: Wise Ass
PostPosted: Oct 10 2007 02:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How could you forget that he did the voice of Johnnycab in "Total Recall"?
Cattivo
PostPosted: Oct 10 2007 03:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hell, I didn't even know that.

That's cool that he did though. Man, I really need to buy that on dvd.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Oct 10 2007 05:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cutlip rules! I bought the box set of wonder years a long time ago, if you disregard the ABC Family logo in corner, its pretty damn awesome. Anyone want a copy?

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 10 2007 06:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

im down Douche. A box set of classic americana?! who can pass up that offer?!

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Oct 11 2007 08:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you want a copy its gonna be like 10 bucks. It's 7 discs 105 episodes. Figuring thats the discs plus 2 something in shipping charges. And you gotta have a dvd player that plays DVD RW.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Oct 11 2007 09:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Save the money and don't use R/Ws, just use DVD-R (Note: the "-R", as opposed to "+R", as they seem to play on just about every DVD player, including Playstation 2.)
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Oct 12 2007 04:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use R/W's because I like to be able to delete and re-use the dvds. After I watched the Prestige twice it was time to let it go. Now I have room for Knocked Up.

Reply to topic

Jump to: