[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Worlds of Power!

Reply to topic
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 24 2007 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap. I had no idea these existed until today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worlds_of_Power

Quote:
The Worlds of Power books are a series of novelizations of video games for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The books are characterized by the fact that they often retcon their source material, usually include game hints written upside down at the end of chapters (some also had a tear-out "trading card" in the middle with a tip in mirror writing on the back) and are written in a simplistic, easy-to-read style. The middle portions of some books, such as Bionic Commando and Blaster Master, are breezed over. Books in the series consist of novelizations of

* 1. Blaster Master by A. L. Singer
* 2. Metal Gear Alexander Frost
* 3. Ninja Gaiden by A. L. Singer
* 4. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest by Christopher Howell
* 5. Wizards and Warriors by Ellen Miles
* 6. Bionic Commando by J. B. Stamper
* 7. Infiltrator by A. L. Singer
* 8. Before Shadowgate by Ellen Miles

Junior Edition Books

* Mega Man 2 by Ellen Miles
* Bases Loaded II: Second Season by A. L. Singer

So I did what any self-respecting game freak would do. I BOUGHT ALL OF THEM ON EBAY!!

Well, all except the Junior Edition ones. Maybe later. Oh yeah, and here's a quote from the Castlevania one:

Quote:
It looked as though Count Dracula was going to win the battle.

“I will drink your spirit like cherry pop!” said the count, flapping his cape and showing his fangs. “Yes, Simon Belmont! You will become one of my children of the night!” Simon shivered with fear. They both stood upon a castle tower. Beyond was darkness, except for a cold moon in the sky like a dead eye. Wind chuckled softly along the battlements. The air was full of the smell of the garlic-clove necklace Simon had around his neck.

“No, Count Dracula! You will not drink my spirit this day!” he said, snapping his thorn whip with a crack as loud as a gun-shot. “And by the way, it doesn’t taste like cherry pop at all, so it’s nothing you’d want anyway!”

“Let me be the judge of that!” And the vampire leapt at him.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 24 2007 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

greeneyedzeke has a bunch of these, some of them aren't bad.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 24 2007 08:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
greeneyedzeke has a bunch of these

Why am I not surprised? Very Happy

I'm looking forward to them.
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Aug 24 2007 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, at some point I want to get around to reviewing these for my site. I think "Wizards and Warriors" was my favorite, but "Castlevania II" wasn't bad.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 24 2007 09:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I remember the Blaster Master one, though I might be halucinating.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Aug 24 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How did someone get paid to write those... I miss those days, cause tie-in novels now are so much more restrictive. Sad

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 24 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:

Quote:

“I will drink your spirit like cherry pop!” said the count, flapping his cape and showing his fangs. “Yes, Simon Belmont! You will become one of my children of the night!” Simon shivered with fear. They both stood upon a castle tower. Beyond was darkness, except for a cold moon in the sky like a dead eye. Wind chuckled softly along the battlements. The air was full of the smell of the garlic-clove necklace Simon had around his neck.

“No, Count Dracula! You will not drink my spirit this day!” he said, snapping his thorn whip with a crack as loud as a gun-shot. “And by the way, it doesn’t taste like cherry pop at all, so it’s nothing you’d want anyway!”

Wow, that just hurts my brain to read. Castlevania 2 takes place in 1698, and Soda wasn't invented till 1770. So what the hell? I'm guessing that they were just marketed to kids, but "I will drink your spirit like FINE WINE!" would be a much better line than "Cherry Pop."

Wow.

Damn.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 25 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's totally not a serious novel. Simon Belmont travels to our dimension and recruits a Nintendo-loving kid to go with him back to Castlevania and help him defeat Dracula. And yeah, they're totally for kids.
Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Aug 25 2007 03:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

That almost makes SotN's exchanges look like shakespeare. :p
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 25 2007 05:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
DarkMaze wrote:

Quote:

Wow, that just hurts my brain to read. Castlevania 2 takes place in 1698, and Soda wasn't invented till 1770. So what the hell? I'm guessing that they were just marketed to kids, but "I will drink your spirit like FINE WINE!" would be a much better line than "Cherry Pop."

Wow.

Damn.

LOL... wow... that really is the nerdiest thing i have read today... how the F do you know when soda was invented?! and to correct someone on that?! lol... that just made my day/night/whatever this time of day is considered...

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Aug 25 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I own the Blaster Master one. Definitely a kid's book, but it was a good read. I hate the game itself though.

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Aug 25 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, they can't very well have Dracula saying

"I'll drink your blood then fling your lifeless corpse off the clocktower to be eaten by the wargs or blood skeletons or maybe the peeping eyes if they even have mouths..."

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 29 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My Wizards & Warriors book arrived yesterday. I may give that a read while I eat lunch. They're aimed at 12 year-olds, but I'm pretty exhausted so that's probably about my reading level right now...

Incidentally, do all of them use the "Nintendo character brings a videogame-loving kid from the real world into the game to help him with his quest" gimmick?
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Aug 29 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wind doesn't chuckle, especially against stone. Wind only "chuckles" when there's an actual chuckle in it.

I don't think I could stand reading those, even as much as I love classic gaming.

RIP Hacker.

vash17
Title: Lord of pie
PostPosted: Aug 31 2007 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Metal Gear? Seriously, METAL GEAR? you'll need to give us an excerpt of that one, you absolutely NEED to.

"Guns don't kill people,but they CERTAINLY help."
-Mr. Hertz

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 31 2007 03:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If anything really jumps out at me, I will. I haven't gotten it yet, though -- I hope it arrives today. Nevertheless, here's an excerpt from it I found while researching the Worlds of Power series. It's priceless.

Quote:
Also on the seat was a pack of cigarettes. Halley reached for them, but drew his hand back. Could they be poisoned? His instincts told him that they could be a deadly trap. And, even if the cigarettes contained no added poisons, they were deadly enough in themselves. He decided to leave them where they were.

Oh, and "Halley" refers to Snake. Apparently he's called Justin Halley in the book.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Aug 31 2007 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!!!!

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Reply to topic

Jump to: