[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
PDF files?

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 05 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Can anyone recommend a good program for making PDF files?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 05 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://pdf995.com/

Install it, and it works essentially like a printer. Take your Word Doc/image/whatever and it'll print to a PDF file. It'll give you a web pop-up because it's shareware, but it doesn't mess with your PDF file at all. Highly recommended, and free.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 05 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, hopefully I can get it to do what I want.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 05 2006 03:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I am having a problem, it's not so much with PDF software itself, but let me try and explain it.

I am trying to build a PDF document using images of scanned pages from a real document. The problem is, the images are 1346 x 500 and Microsoft Word automatically resizes them for some reason.

Another problem, the PDF software doesn't obey Word linebreaks the way that I want it to. Instead of starting a new page immediately, I am left with lots of and lots of whitespace because the program compiling it into 8x11 pages.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 05 2006 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This may only partially help, or not at all, but: When you go to "print" the document, the Properties for PDF995 allow you to define the dimensions of each page, so that you can set them to any crazy number you want. I've had to do that a lot, but so far only for single-page documents.

It seems that you can also set page dimensions in Word, too (File > Page Setup... > Paper [tab]).

In both cases, you'll need to know the size of your scanned images in inches (perhaps from the source pages that you scanned?), or keep the ratio the same and be willing to accept a little resizing.

Lemme know if that helps, or if your problem is something else entirely.
RegalSin
PostPosted: May 05 2006 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

About that I was searching around for something to create PDF files and yes PDF files is the data the printer reads. I found this free online webpage that will transform and pictures or documents into PDF files.

http://www.jawspdf.com/jawswebres.nsf/download?openform&product=Jaws%20PDF%20Creator&language=English&platform=Windows&type=exe

I don't know about it but it's been around for awhile and is from 5d
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 06 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having some sort of weird issue now. I set up custom pages, I got it looking the way I want. But it keeps saying the margins are wrong. If I click "Fix", it adds 3 inches worth of margin on the left hand side for no reason. If I hit ignore, it forces the pages back down to 8x11 in the PDF file for no good reason.

Darkmaze, have you used this software to any real extent? If I sent you the image files or the Word Document, would you be willing to give it a shot? I'd really like to avoid resizing if possible so that the fine print will be readable at higher magnifications.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 06 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be glad to give it a shot. Go ahead and send the image files. You want a multi-page document with each image being a page, correct? No margins -- each page the same dimensions as the image?

If you want, send your Word file too, for reference.

And lastly, do you know the original dimensions of each page in inches?

You can send 'em to: ed DOT glaser AT gmail DOT com
Reply to topic

Jump to: