Favorite Video Game Music

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Oct 29 2019 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Oct 29 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tenchu, nice hearing from this PSX classic again.

But hey, how could i forgot this one, from a game many people did not play back then on the SNES.

To me, the Proto-"One Winged Angel". The final boss theme from Lufia 2 (gloriously remastered). Enjoy!

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Nov 11 2019 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Slammin' Sam Miller" is restoring the soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 1-3.

Due to hardware limitations of the time, the SNES console's audio output was heavily compressed. His restoration efforts seek to recreate the songs without compression, and "This was made possible by locating the sounds from workstation keyboards and drum machines such as the Korg Wavestation, Roland S770, and Roland R8, and plugging them into the music instruction data ripped from the game, plus a little mixing magic to create might have sounded like with the veil of 16bit compression lifted."

Check out the playlist of completed tracks here. He hasn't restored them all yet, but rest assured Aquatic Ambiance, Fear Factory, and Stickerbrush Symphony are ready. He also offers FLAC and MP3 downloads.

This is a huge one-two punch of goodness to me. It satisfies a nostalgia craving I never knew I had, and it also resonates with my continued (if slow!) foray into learning to play the keyboard. On that latter note, I've set up my MIDI controller and digital audio workstation to be able to play the original (compressed) instruments from these games (and other SNES classics) - but knowing more about the original hardware is really intriguing!!

Preng
PostPosted: Nov 11 2019 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, in the half hour since the above post, I've fallen down a rabbit hole in YouTube..may need one of you to check on me in a bit to ensure I make it out okay!
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Nov 11 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for posting those Preng. I will listen to them. I loved the Donkey Kong Country games as a kid.
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Nov 12 2019 06:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice. Glad that you posted a DKC 3 track, most people ignore this one but the it has a great soundtrack.

I played some Garou - Mark of the Wolves today and the OST is pretty solid. Especially Grants Theme stuck with me.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Nov 24 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since i've been playing an unhealthy amount of Pokemon Sword and Shield (yes i really mean BOTH editions), this is my favorite track so far (composed by the one and only Toby Fox).

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Dec 27 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hidden gems:

Terranigma (SNES)

Brave Fencer Musashi (PSX)

it was the best of times

Preng
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 07:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Vert1 wrote:

I had to Google this to make sure it wasn't a joke or something. I have no idea why this is in a Flintstones game but this is delightful! I just looked up the rest of the soundtrack and it's like if Aphex Twin made an SNES game.

This is still a jam.

Please see attached 2020 annual renewal.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 19 2020 04:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn. This some good shit, Pring.

Preng wrote:
"Slammin' Sam Miller" is restoring the soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 1-3.

Due to hardware limitations of the time, the SNES console's audio output was heavily compressed. His restoration efforts seek to recreate the songs without compression, and "This was made possible by locating the sounds from workstation keyboards and drum machines such as the Korg Wavestation, Roland S770, and Roland R8, and plugging them into the music instruction data ripped from the game, plus a little mixing magic to create might have sounded like with the veil of 16bit compression lifted."

Check out the playlist of completed tracks here. He hasn't restored them all yet, but rest assured Aquatic Ambiance, Fear Factory, and Stickerbrush Symphony are ready. He also offers FLAC and MP3 downloads.

This is a huge one-two punch of goodness to me. It satisfies a nostalgia craving I never knew I had, and it also resonates with my continued (if slow!) foray into learning to play the keyboard. On that latter note, I've set up my MIDI controller and digital audio workstation to be able to play the original (compressed) instruments from these games (and other SNES classics) - but knowing more about the original hardware is really intriguing!!

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Dec 10 2020 07:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody played "Tangle Tower", wich is sad.
The great soundtrack is just one reason why.

it was the best of times

LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 10 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
Also, in the half hour since the above post, I've fallen down a rabbit hole in YouTube..may need one of you to check on me in a bit to ensure I make it out okay!

Hahaha, this is fucking gold.
Preng
PostPosted: Oct 02 2021 09:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Stumbled upon Andrew Thompson, a musician/composer who, among writing/producing a pretty slammin' Latin album, has created some excellent orchestral covers of video game classics.

This cover of Mario Paint's Gnat Attack minigame is especially cool!

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 05 2021 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man. What a great find. Those a beautiful.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Preng
PostPosted: Apr 04 2022 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fell down a rabbit hole, and found this interesting list of audio samples used by Earthbound.

This one especially, wow! Instant goosebumps, then laughter.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Apr 19 2022 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
Fell down a rabbit hole, and found this interesting list of audio samples used by Earthbound.

Wow, this is a cool list! Thanks for finding this. I always thought that sounded like the Little Rascals! Also impressive that they could take a two-second Beatles sample, loop it and make it sound incredibly creepy in-context (with "The Cliff That Time Forgot"). I'd also argue that the NES version of that song makes the Chuck Berry influence even more apparent.

Preng
PostPosted: Apr 20 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Preng wrote:

Wow, this is a cool list! Thanks for finding this. I always thought that sounded like the Little Rascals! Also impressive that they could take a two-second Beatles sample, loop it and make it sound incredibly creepy in-context (with "The Cliff That Time Forgot"). I'd also argue that the NES version of that song makes the Chuck Berry influence even more apparent.

Agreed, I had been previously aware of some of these, especially the Chuck Berry one, but this list had a few surprises (I'm still chuckling about the Beach Boys being morphed into the final dungeon music, also reappearing in Undertale's "Amalgam" track).

"Laughin' in the Dark" is also such a banger, probably my favorite random, tangible takeaway from the whole Moonside experience.

While not audio-related, here's another intriguing rabbit hole for ya - I'm not typically deeply interested in translation nuances, but considering Shigesato Itoi's significant presence for all written elements, it's a worthy exception.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Apr 21 2022 02:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
(I'm still chuckling about the Beach Boys being morphed into the final dungeon music, also reappearing in Undertale's "Amalgam" track).

They made the third-worst video of 1988.
Preng
PostPosted: Jun 07 2022 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A wicked retooling of Mega Man X's soundtrack using the Sega Genesis sound chip.
Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: Jul 26 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've really, really been enjoying video game soundtracks while working lately. Anything from the Elder Scrolls, Monument Valley 2, FEZ, Starbound, Mirrors Edge, and DustForce have been my favorites.

I'm not sure how embeds work here these days, so I'm just posting some links below and hope they work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbqxazYJp_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfos-mAMMA&list=LL&index=66&t=3015s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aDWVDuRCiA&list=LL&index=60&t=1441s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIAe9chD88I&list=LL&index=162&t=672s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCV8J8Irwk&list=LL&index=163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_B8ekeZTCM
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Dec 01 2022 03:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

After chipping away at the Teseo & Merak battle in Sunrise Palace 2 on Merciless Task in Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 for months, long enough for the English voiceovers to replace the Japanese ones, only recently taking a break to work on Gigantosaurus: The Game, I've finally bested the two of them thusly without having to resurrect, thus conquering my white whale for the year. After that, I finally confronted Serpentine, making sure not to resurrect until the dialogue was over. I didn't get to hear that one bit after she did the same, but I don't care.
Reply to topic

Jump to: