"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Star Trek vs Star Wars

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 17 2011 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trek

At least Kirk doesn't laugh at the thought of dead children.

GenesisDoes
Title: What nintendon't
PostPosted: Jan 17 2011 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:
Wow, I must live in reverso world or something because I thought Nemesis was pretty good and I like Generations as much as First Contact, if not moreso. I loved Malcolm McDowell in Generations and genuinely love that movie without having any nostalgia for Kirk or whatever (I dislike the Original Series in general). To call it an insult to fans is bizarre to me because I am a TNG fan.

Of the Next Gen films Insurrection is obviously the weakest but like I said before, I was (and am) entertained by all of them.

I was entertained by all of theme except Final Frontier Smile

Generations was really good seeing in a theater but I just think the scipt was really weak, especially in how they used Captain Kirk.

Also I think I like the original series the most even though I hold next generation in high regard as well. My viewpoint is really from someone who likes both series but holds the original higher.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jan 19 2011 02:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Trek

Ha, that's awesome. And also, Natalie Portman sucks ten times harder than Carrie Fisher. And a hundred times harder than Uhura.
BrainGravy
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love the old star wars movies, didn't like the newer ones.

I watched the tv shows with Patrick Stewart, saw Wrath of Khan, it's pretty good stuff. But I'm not into it as much as SW.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

welcome aboard braingravy

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

username
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

BUMP

just to share this infographic i found that was kind of cool

[SPOILER:aaba253283]Image[/SPOILER:aaba253283]

taken from http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=63771

Klimbatize wrote:

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 09:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Trek

At first, he smiles not laughs. And you can smile at such a thought because you simply can't believe that such horrible thing could exist. So your argument is invalid.

I prefer Star Trek over Star Wars. Just because of the atmosphere. But I'm not a huge fan of either one.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

The idea that such a little bitch like Anakin could have killed all of those people is definitely a joke, so I can relate to Obi-Wan wanting to laugh.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 04:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
At first, he smiles not laughs. And you can smile at such a thought because you simply can't believe that such horrible thing could exist. So your argument is invalid.

Or he's just simply a shitty actor in a shitty role.

username
PostPosted: Mar 02 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Mar 08 2013 04:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Right, because that argument couldn't go either way.
 photo fat_princess_leia_01-s284x386-243958_zps8048fb24.jpg
 photo st_zps14af98a5.jpg

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: May 27 2013 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The new Star Trek movie pretty much ends this argument. There's really no debate anymore.
slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: May 28 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:
The new Star Trek movie pretty much ends this argument. There's really no debate anymore.

Since I didn't see it, I have no idea which way the argument supposedly ends. However the new Star Trek would have to be shit stinking, gutter fucking awful to be worse than the Star Wars prequels.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

utahpunk
Title: Sir!
PostPosted: May 29 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always preferred Star Wars over Star Trek. The villians and creatures in Star Wars are so much better. The technology of Star Wars seems so much more impressive to me, the "used universe" feel of the original 3 movies are realistic. The action figures.....definitely tip in favor of Star Wars.

......I'm not even supposed to be here today!

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 26 2022 01:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Going back and revisiting Trek from TOS to Enterprise several years ago, I still think it wins out overall in terms of TV shows and movies. Overall, most of the stuff holds up. TOS looks the worst, but that is to be expected from the time period it was shot in, but watching The Cage for the first time, I cannot even underestimate how much Shatner's presence saved that show. Jeffery Hunter SUCKED.
TNG is still probably my favorite since it allowed for what we got with future series'. DS9 is technically probably a better show than TNG, but I don't think it ever had quite as high of highs as TNG, but it also didn't have the lows of the former either. Voyager was better than it was the first time I watched it, but still suffers from the fact that half the cast is practically useless. You don't need Chakotay or Harry, and Neelix was beyond infuriating.
Enterprise goes a step further by having several characters they never bother to develop. That kind of stuff was acceptable in TOS, but not by the time you get to Enterprise. I mean there are guest stars that get more lines than Mayweather gets during the entire series! I did not like what I watched of Discovery and didn't even bother with Picard since it looks like a depressing dystopia. As far as movies, I'll keep it simple...I liked 2, 3, 4 and 6...but disliked the rest, especially the TNG movies.

Star Wars, while it still holds a place in my heart for the OT movies I grew up with, I simply don't think they've done anything since then that has warranted any acclaim. I like to consider the late 80's to mid 90's as the 'dark ages' for Star Wars, a time when it wasn't part of the general consensus of general audiences. No one talked about them, they were hardly referenced in the media (Muppet Babies, Reading Rainbow and The Flintstones Movie are the only ones I remember) and they were never shown on TV.
In 1995 with the rerelease of the VHS movies and two years later with the special editions, Star Wars was back and it never left since then. Unfortunately, that kind of 'untouchable' status allowed for Lucas to create what I consider to be three of the ugliest looking movies in the prequels, especially at a time when fantasy and action movies were probably at the absolute lowest period in terms of creative growth due to the over reliance on special effects.
Fast forward to now with the Disney movies...those were just atrocious, I only bothered with Episodes VII and VIII, on the grounds I would watch them with my best friend, as long as he hadn't watched them yet either, since the after movie conversations were always the best (we grew up together, so we had a TON of Star Wars conversations). Honestly, I don't feel the need to watch the last movie to know how it ended, since the bears in the previous two movies are so paint by the numbers, all I needed to know was the plot layout and my brain could fill in the gaps without the cringe humor. I have no interest in the other movies that Disney made, so as a whole with the movies, they're batting .333 or .272 based on what you count for Star Wars movies. I have no interest in the Mandolorian or Boba Fett, so I'm good there.

So just for the sheer amount of hours in entertainment, I think Trek blows SW away. I will say both franchises are beyond dead creatively since Star Wars constantly needs to reference it's past to interest their fanbase, meanwhile Trek seems to want to keep making it's shows more mature and dark, which could work if you didn't have the vision of Fuller and Kurtzman.

If you're looking for a happy medium between Trek and Wars, definitely go with Stargate SG1. Gotta keep it going with the star name.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 27 2022 03:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Mandalorian and Rogue One are the best Star Wars since the Original trilogy. New Star Trek is ok, but it's always some giant galaxy/universe ending threat which is fucking boring.

Stargate SG1 is better than both, just stop before the Ori bullshit and you're good.

Reply to topic

Jump to: