Boast about your random video game achievements here

Reply to topic
LeshLush
PostPosted: Oct 22 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

^^^ABUSE OF MOD POWERS!!!
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Oct 22 2020 08:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I killed all 270 killable monsters in Silent Hill.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Oct 22 2020 09:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
I killed all 270 killable monsters in Silent Hill.

Awesome!

I've just been playing Mario Party, and I completed all the mini games on Mini Game Island.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Oct 26 2020 02:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
I got all 30 badges in Star Fox: Assault. My trick: Not counting a mission as complete unless I got the badge, so as to justify the difficulty levels.

Never played this one, but it's been on my list to get to for awhile.

Is it good?
jprime
PostPosted: Oct 26 2020 03:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Perfectly.
jprime
PostPosted: Nov 15 2020 03:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

After expending all 30 revolver bullets, I struck the fatal blow on Walter with the Pickaxe Of Despair in Silent Hill 4: The Room.
jprime
PostPosted: Jan 14 2021 04:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I finished The Misadventures Of Tron Bonne having maxed out the Attack and Speed of every Servbot I could. Shame there wasn't enough action to max out all their Brains, though.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jul 07 2021 07:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hadn't played games in years. Recently I was laid off my job after 11 years and since I'm collecting severance, I decided to go back and at some PS1 games, namely Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. Both were challenging, but highly addictive.
DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Aug 14 2021 06:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
I hadn't played games in years. Recently I was laid off my job after 11 years and since I'm collecting severance, I decided to go back and at some PS1 games, namely Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. Both were challenging, but highly addictive.

I always wanted to play Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee ever since I saw it being demoed in Kmart, but I was a kid and didn't get an Xbox. Now it's been sitting in my Steam library, and I want to download it.

He knows your algorithm.

jprime
PostPosted: Aug 22 2021 02:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

After chipping away at it intermittently for the better part of two years, I've finally won all 450 permutations of Nintendo's Ice Hockey, from United States Vs. Sweden, Speed 1, Time 7 to Czechoslovakia Vs. Soviet Union, Speed 5, Time 15. Had nothing else come up for me, the whole venture would've only taken five months.
jprime
PostPosted: Sep 10 2021 01:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As of last night, I've won all 36 permutations of Double Dribble from 5 minutes as New York at Level 1 to 30 minutes as Los Angel(e)s at Level 3. Through it all, I never once shot from the back corner, and I only saw the Boston Frogs miss a dunk five times, two in the same day.
DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Sep 13 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually impressed by jprime's accomplishments.

He knows your algorithm.

jprime
PostPosted: Oct 09 2021 08:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It took the better part of three weeks, but I finally have Target Earth under my belt, which means I'm now halfway through the pre-sequel Assault Suits series. Now I just have to get through Cybernator, finally.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Dec 11 2021 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I finally got around to playing Mother 3, using the fan translation patch. Took about six months of periodic sessions. An excellent and commendable game, not quite what I expected but very enjoyable. It was refreshing to not have to grind out levels, like in Earthbound. It has also been interesting to read about the game's development hell, something that increases my respect for the developers and producers for their efforts. Additional praise to the fan translation community, and Shogo Sakai for producing a ridiculously varied/fitting soundtrack for the meek lil' Game Boy Advance. C'mon, listen to this:

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Dec 17 2021 02:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's awesome man.

How was it not like you expected?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Preng
PostPosted: Dec 17 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This actually took me a bit to reflect on and describe. I believe "it's less mysterious" is the answer in a nutshell, but if you want that in multi-paragraph form...

So, Earthbound has a very barebones plot, which barely drives the game. You're essentially thrown in with little structured direction. You're never meant to be completely lost (the game's NPCs clue you in, or the bundled player's guide helps too, though I only eBay'd the cartridge as a kid). But, the environments (and your immediate objective in them) change very rapidly/dramatically, to the point that it kept me guessing, and consistently intrigued. It feels like something that's stretched too thin too work (and it probably violates several modern game design sensibilities), but I really enjoyed the trip, blind as it was.

Now it's two decades later, and this means I'm (maybe) an adult who interprets, scrutinizes and deals with information completely differently (and if it's a good day, that means "better"). Funny thing is, that's maybe not so important here. Mother 3 still hits the right buttons, and feels like another quality experience with the same author's (Shigesato Itoi's) painstaking writing (lovingly translated by a fan crew). I intuitively understand this a few moments into the game, and can take ease and just enjoy it with some intentional naivete. In a personal sense, this no small praise - I more often find myself holding nostalgia at arm's length.

Going into Mother 3, I knew it would be increasingly plot driven, and that it would reuse some environments more frequently. Neither of these are inherently bad, and the game does use them to good effect. Still, those design choices were a bit heavier than I anticipated. So, I guess compared to Earthbound, a greater chunk of the game felt teleprompted, with fewer unpredictable deviations.

In Earthbound, the Moonside sequence is one of my favorites. It comes off as especially unexpected (in essence, you check a mundane object and suddenly reappear in an extremely erratic environment, with zero warning, or way to reverse it without reloading a save). Very memorable to me as a kid. I was stupefied the whole time, in the best way possible. Mother 3 has a similar sequence, and while it's somewhat equally randomly timed, it's also partially given away; you trigger it by eating some jungle 'shrooms.

Rambling aside, at the end of the day, I enjoyed/would recommend both games!

Edit: I'm sittin' here laughing at the irony that "it wasn't unexpected" is my answer to how it was not like I expected. Sheesh!!
jprime
PostPosted: Dec 17 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What of EarthBound Zero?
Preng
PostPosted: Dec 21 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

(Long exhale sound) I'll play it someday, but it's pretty low on the backlog. I've read a Let's Play and understand the overall experience is pretty minimal/grindy. Still, the challenge is admittedly appealing.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 22 2021 04:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
(Long exhale sound) I'll play it someday, but it's pretty low on the backlog. I've read a Let's Play and understand the overall experience is pretty minimal/grindy. Still, the challenge is admittedly appealing.

This was my overall experience. I made playing through it a lot more manageable with a romhack that doubles the amount of EXP and money you get, but I imagine without that it would've been slightly painful.

(also, how has it been a year since I last posted???)

Preng
PostPosted: Dec 22 2021 09:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's the rub. I'm aware of the romhack/Easy Ring option...but would prefer to play the O.G. experience, lumps and all...but don't have that O.G. free time anymore.
jprime
PostPosted: Apr 28 2022 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After years of letting it fester, I've finally defeated Gunvolt EX in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2. Now I'm primed for the third game when it comes out exactly three months hence.
jprime
PostPosted: May 14 2022 04:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Another game I've let fester for years, Burai Fighter, is now under my belt, both in Ace and Ultimate modes. Who says Friday the 13th is unlucky?
jprime
PostPosted: Feb 11 2023 03:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've gotten my first PSP title under my belt, and one of its hardest, to boot: Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins. I'd been working on it straight since January 4 (the day after my Dad's birthday, incidentally) and wanted to be absolutely certain I got all the Light Rings before I took down Dark Astaroth. Also, I played on Ultimate Mode because, this being a binge, I was coming off the first three games (for those who know about it [I didn't until recently], I'm not counting Makaimura For Wonderswan) and wanted it to feel like a game in this series. I was even stuck on this one stage for a week and a half, to the point where it often felt like I was playing Ghouls 'n Ghosts again. Now I just have Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection to download and get through. Wish me luck!
jprime
PostPosted: Apr 05 2023 08:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After 95 days, I finally have the most relentless, unforgiving binge I've ever undertaken under my belt, as I've finished Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection. I wasn't expecting to have to go through the game thrice, but I had to clear all the Hell Holes to get the last Demon Orb so I could challenge Hades, whom I had to beat on the same life as Lucifer. The game offered me yet one more quest, but I'd gotten the job done.

If Capcom ever makes another installment, I imagine it'll be known in Japan as Fukushu No Makaimura (Revenge Of Demon World Village) and in the west as Ghouls 'n Ghosts Retribution.
Reply to topic

Jump to: