[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Batman (2021)

Reply to topic
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Aug 23 2020 07:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gotta be honest.
This looks dope.
I also was kinda hoping to see a good representation of the Riddler sometime in a Batman movie and even though this seems a bit different from his comic persona, i find it intriguing so far.
Catwoman is in the this too, wich is great.
She looks cool with her little pointy ears underneath the mask.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Grampa Fuddy
Title: Silly Hats Only
PostPosted: Aug 23 2020 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm the only person in the world who has Batman fatigue. While I admit the trailer looks good, how many times does DC have to keep rebooting the same IP? It's as if someone went into a breakroom at Warner Bros., put a Game Genie in the microwave, and now Thomas and Martha Wayne have infinite lives. As if seeing them get killed in Batman '89, Batman Begins and Joker weren't enough. You know they're going to show that again in The Batman.

What's the deal with the title? It's Batman with the word "THE" in front of it. It feels so lazy. I'll bet this is how the marketing meeting went down:

MARKETING EXEC #1: How are we going to differentiate this movie from the 37 different iterations of Batman released in the last 5 years?
MARKETING EXEC #2: We keep telling the same story, but in a different way each time. So numbering them is out of the question. Try embellishing it with some kind of article or punctuation marks. It worked for those Fast & Furious movies.
MARKETING EXEC #1: Do you think it's wise that we've released 37 different versions of the same character in such a short time frame?
MARKETING EXEC #2: Have you stopped using cocaine?
MARKETING EXEC #1: Haha gotcha! I'm kidding! Batman makes us too much money. If anything, 37 different iterations in a 5 year span is too sparse. Consider our target demographic's attention span.
MARKETING EXEC #3: Why is there melted plastic in the microwave?

"I don't like zoos. Awful." --Christopher Walken

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Aug 23 2020 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can't get enough of Batman and neither can audiences, which is why there are so many. They print money. I can't wait for Justice League Snyder Cut, The Batman, and The Flash (which has at least two versions of Batman because it takes place in the multiverse). Batman may have the same origin in multiple movies, but the movies themselves have different plots and aren't the same thing over and over.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 23 2020 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else here remember The Batman cartoon series from the '00s?
DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Aug 23 2020 07:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do, but I never watched it. That might be where the name came from.

He knows your algorithm.

Grampa Fuddy
Title: Silly Hats Only
PostPosted: Aug 23 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So apparently we won't be seeing Wayne's parents murdered again, as The Batman takes place during "Year 2".

Quote:
Batman may have the same origin in multiple movies, but the movies themselves have different plots and aren't the same thing over and over.

I was exaggerating when I said it was the same story over and over. I know it's a different plot for each movie, but why can't we just have one origin story and move on? Maybe it's my OCD talking, but I don't understand why they have to reboot themselves so quickly instead of having them keep going in the same continuity.

"I don't like zoos. Awful." --Christopher Walken

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Aug 24 2020 08:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's a very successful franchise, so Hollywood will probably throw Batman movies at us until the end of time.
I also see it as a necessity to reboot a franchise from time to time, or would you want that Batman movies only get made by/"in the style of" Christopher Nolan?

I appreciate that they play with the style, atmosphere and realisim and keep on rearranging these factors.
I mean, as long as the perfect pitch hasn't been made it's legit i would say.

With this one they seem to go in a more gritty and darker direction but it's also more overstylized than a Nolan Batman movie, wich works well i think.

Just judging from the trailer, there is a lot of going on (Riddler, Catwoman, maybe Joker/Penguin?) and it feels like they created a richer enviroment of characters all around.
Comic books are often also structered like that, with a lot villians, good guys going on and about so this makes sense to me and i hope it will give the movie more of a comic-vibe, like "Batman: Returns" by Tim Burton, for instance ,had.

Weirdly enough, the scene were Batman is beating the living shit out of that thug seems to click especially with the people (judging from postive comments on yt) and while i get that they want to establish this gritty style also through Batmans portrayal, i am not hugely excited about this perticular scene.
I see Batman more as a character, with a certain codex, to wich the principal of violence as a necessity for the greater good is attached.
Violence as a necessity doesn't have to be unnecessarily extrem, like it's shown in this scene, so it doesn't really fit the character.
But whatever, it's a minor detail overall.

it was the best of times

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 24 2020 03:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with you man. Batman is getting so old for me.

I want to see some bright, hopeful Superman, or some badass Wonder Woman.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Aug 24 2020 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
I'm with you man. Batman is getting so old for me.

I want to see some bright, hopeful Superman, or some badass Wonder Woman.

Hm, i am a sucker for Batman movies.
One reason is that nobody really could bring the essence of, what makes the character and the comics so great, to screen and i want to see that.
Another reason is, that i really just like the character/character design.

Yea, finally seeing a movie were Superman gets portrayed appropriately would be nice.
The angry, neck breaking Snyder Version wasn't all that convincing :/

Wonder Woman has a movie on the way (Wonderwoman 1984) but it looks pretty mediocre so far, if you ask me.

it was the best of times

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 24 2020 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been looking forward to that all year. In an alternate timeline, I've seen a lot of movies in theaters, including that one, since Sonic The Hedgehog, which has long since been overtaken as the front-runner for Best Picture.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 25 2020 02:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

After seeing R-Patz in The Lighthouse and Good Time, I think he's a fantastic actor and have no doubt in my mind that he can play Batman competently.

I was not impressed at all with this trailer. I don't think the new Batman movie will be outright bad, but it looks extremely dull and I'm not sure what it's going to be doing that other Batman movies haven't done already. Again, I don't think it looks bad, but this trailer has got me feeling a serious sense of Batman fatigue.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Aug 28 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think what this movie needs to do is explain more about Batman the character. I've always wondered how he got to be the way he is. Does Batman have parents? What were they like? How did Bruce Wayne grow up to become Batman?

I hope this movie finally gives us a glimpse of these kinds of things.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Aug 28 2020 02:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Aug 29 2020 04:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
I think what this movie needs to do is explain more about Batman the character. I've always wondered how he got to be the way he is. Does Batman have parents? What were they like? How did Bruce Wayne grow up to become Batman?

I hope this movie finally gives us a glimpse of these kinds of things.

I think i have seen that before somewhere.
Basically his home-planet gets destroyed, by bats or something and then his uncle gets shot. Also by bats.

it was the best of times

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Aug 29 2020 06:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is hilarious!

I disagree with most of the posts though. Unlike other Batman movies, Robert Pattinson's fighting seems really violent and brutal, and he has to solve some sort of mystery. I'm excited for this one and want to see what happens.

He knows your algorithm.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 01 2020 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
An oldie but goodie!

Had not seen this before, but I laughed good and proper at that last panel.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Sep 14 2020 09:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The trailer made this movie seem more like actual Batman than anything we've seen on film, be it movies or TV. They nailed the Gotham vibe and brutality, even if it was just a glimpse. I love the first two Nolan Batmans A LOT, but it never quite felt like Gotham. This does. Or maybe it's just that remix of "Something in the Way"...fucking killer.

Some of the best comic book stories center around Batman's world, and this trailer made me feel the same way I felt when I read those classic Batman stories. I was already looking forward to this movie, but now it's my most anticipated movie....even above anything Marvel has coming out (and I'm a huge Marvel guy). I hope they skip the origin stuff, and just keep it a detective story with Wayne navigating this myriad of psychopaths. I don't need the World to be at risk in every superhero movie.

I never thought Pattinson was a bad pick as Batman, FWIW. He's an extremely underrated actor. Everyone points at Twilight and laughs but the dude was an out-of-work actor ffs. I don't blame him for accepting that role. The stuff he's done since has been top-notch. I think he'll crush it.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Sep 15 2020 07:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
The trailer made this movie seem more like actual Batman than anything we've seen on film, be it movies or TV. They nailed the Gotham vibe and brutality, even if it was just a glimpse. I love the first two Nolan Batmans A LOT, but it never quite felt like Gotham. This does.

I always liked Batman movies when they portrayed Gotham City as a dark, grungy place. Batman 89, Batman Returns, and Batman Begins did this well. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises showed Gotham City as a clean, bright, beautiful city that felt totally inaccurate.

Klimbatize wrote:
I hope they skip the origin stuff, and just keep it a detective story with Wayne navigating this myriad of psychopaths. I don't need the World to be at risk in every superhero movie.

This is the second year that Bruce Wayne has been Batman. I do hope that they keep him as a detective, because that's what he is, and people don't usually portray him as that.

Klimbatize wrote:
I never thought Pattinson was a bad pick as Batman, FWIW. He's an extremely underrated actor. Everyone points at Twilight and laughs but the dude was an out-of-work actor ffs. I don't blame him for accepting that role. The stuff he's done since has been top-notch. I think he'll crush it.

Pattinson has been in a bunch of indie movies between Twilight movies and Batman. He seems to be really good in this.

He knows your algorithm.

Reply to topic

Jump to: