"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Coronavirus

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Mar 18 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

How's everyone faring in the midst of all this? My wife primarily does deposit box stuff at her job and I pretty much exclusively meet with people one-at-a-time at my counseling practice, so I haven't been affected too much. It seems like this is going to destroy the economy though.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I work from home pretty much every day anyway, so the day-to-day hasn't changed much. I miss my friends and draft beer and greasy bar food.

My wife is also working from home, and daycare is obviously closed, so it's really tough to both work and take care of a newborn at the same time, but we're managing.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 04:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I work in a supermarket. I'm getting hazard pay and as much overtime as I want.

Honestly, I don't really care. If I get it, I get it. It's not gonna kill me.

Well, let me be clear - while I'm not overly concerned about my own personal safety - I care about keeping my customers and coworkers safe, and I am being a responsible human being. There's a statewide mandate on face masks for workers and like half of my shifts is cleaning and sanitizing everything in sight, and my hands are raw from how many times I wash them in day.

But overall, my days and weeks are pretty much the same as they always were - I go to work, then come home and play video games. The one thing that sucks is that card shop is non-essential business so I haven't gotten to play any MTG in a while.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 07:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm teaching from home now. It's nice to be able to live in sweat pants and play video games between classes. Being able to eat peanut butter is also fantastic. But gosh darn if I don't miss those kids.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually getting to work from home for the first time, and it's glorious--everything I hoped it could be. The nature of my job means I couldn't be remote 100% of the time once things get back to normal, but a lot of my job could be--and I hope I get the chance to take advantage of that, now that it seems more accepted. Fuck wasting time and traffic just so your ass can be in a desk doing work you could do from home.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 08:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All good over here. My town's/county's infection count has been very low. Family and friends are all perfeclty okay. Our office has switched fully to telework, which all things considered, is fine enough timing for an audit I'm wrapping up.

To rewind a bit, this audit has been a long haul - very personally intriguing and engaging, but also difficult and demanding heavy attention. Ranks up there as one of the busier moments in my life, but working from home has been relaxing in its own right. Can play the music a bit louder, and it's been nice watching my backyard gradually come back to life from the Winter. Just wish I had more time for music keyboard - it's been maybe two months since I've touched it...

The gym's closed for obvious reasons, and I can only be so creative with the at-home workouts, so I've been riding my bike much more frequently. Sort of eerie, now that traffic is way down.

Very intrigued to see, once the all clear is given, it will take for things to return to normal. Guessing it will be a trickle.

Greasy bar food would hit the spot right now.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I work in a warehouse that distributes construction equipment. I've been working there throughout the quarantine, because it's considered an essential business. They shut the building down for a few days because the main manager got the coronavirus, so they will disinfect the entire building. I might lose out on pay for the missed days, but hopefully I won't get sick. They will start making us wear masks though.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Apr 24 2020 01:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm very lucky.

Not gonna lie, I'm fucking loving the "quarantine". I have so much free time because I get all my work done at home, and I get it done fast. There is so much bullshit that working with other people creates...made me so inefficient. I've never felt more productive, to be honest.

I get to spend a lot of time chilling with my fiance and reading, playing video games, board games, catching up on a million shows, etc. I've never been someone who gets bored if I'm home, so many days feel like a vacation for me. Plus my fiance got laid off, but financially we're okay anyway so she's been enjoying being creative at home and focusing on things she's always wanted to focus on but couldn't because of time sucked by work. Plus we've never had so much sex.

As far as food, all restaurants still do carry out around here, so not missing anything there.

Like, it sucks that we're going to see hundreds of thousands of deaths, and probably a worse Covid season this fall, and it's terrible the entire world's economy is fucked and will continue to be fucked for months and years to come, but...

I honestly can't complain.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Apr 24 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lol Klimb...yep. That's basically where I'm at too. Guilt and feeling bad for all the people who are affected so badly, but saying giant prayers of thanks for myself and getting to work from home and chill. It's amazing.

And it's not like I'm not doing my work! It's just from my own home and so much more comfortable *and productive.*

I wish it could be like this forever. You know, without the mass death and unemployment and stuff.

militarysignatures.com

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Apr 24 2020 06:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently Donald Trump talked about curing coronavirus by injecting yourself with sunlight and disinfectant. Feel free to try this out if you dare.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Apr 25 2020 06:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair, he did immediately say he's not a doctor, but that he's a "person with a big you-know-what" so seemed legit to me.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Apr 25 2020 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
To be fair, he did immediately say he's not a doctor, but that he's a "person with a big you-know-what" so seemed legit to me.

That's hilarious! Laughing
LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 30 2020 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually working even more hours during quarantine, because business has been hit hard and I'm pretty essential to our survival as we transition everything digital. Would love to enjoy more video games, board games, etc., but I"m mostly in the home office grinding things out all day, with occasional breaks to push a stroller or change a diaper.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: May 12 2020 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I quit my job because of it; I was mulling leaving because of some behind-the-scenes stuff happening in the company, the market in general, and my own desire to do something more creative, but I have my wife and mother at home, and both're immunocompromised, so I ended up leaving. Ironically, the wife ended up getting a new job during this whole thing and is pulling down six figures now, so she's going to let me concentrate on blogging/videos and working as a commission painter for a while, which I'm really excited about. I've been struggling with some serious depression over the whole thing for a while but have turned the corner and am now just doing stuff around the house while she's on vacation before she starts the new job. I hope everyone here is safe and sound during these troubled times!

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: May 12 2020 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
I quit my job because of it; I was mulling leaving because of some behind-the-scenes stuff happening in the company, the market in general, and my own desire to do something more creative, but I have my wife and mother at home, and both're immunocompromised, so I ended up leaving. Ironically, the wife ended up getting a new job during this whole thing and is pulling down six figures now, so she's going to let me concentrate on blogging/videos and working as a commission painter for a while, which I'm really excited about. I've been struggling with some serious depression over the whole thing for a while but have turned the corner and am now just doing stuff around the house while she's on vacation before she starts the new job. I hope everyone here is safe and sound during these troubled times!

That's good. I'm glad you are doing better.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jun 02 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like most people around here have given up. Like, I don't think we can or should be huddle in our homes for two years, but it makes me sad to see so many people shouting, "Fuck it, I'll do what I want!" and refusing to take even moderate precautions as a matter of pride.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jun 03 2020 07:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Health and Human Services must be having a meltdown trying to maintain public focus on COVID safety amidst the public protesting.
Vyuazhasn
PostPosted: Jun 12 2020 03:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey. I think that the problem has affected many, because there is a whole layer of professions that cannot work remotely. I believe that a solution will be found sooner or later. need to take care of yourself
Grampa Fuddy
Title: Silly Hats Only
PostPosted: Aug 02 2020 01:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been living off grid since December and just re-entered society. Did I miss anything while I was away?

"I don't like zoos. Awful." --Christopher Walken

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 17 2020 05:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i miss being able to go to a bar and starting a tab

other than that, i dont mind the quarantine.... i already was getting tired of social interactions, probably cuz im old, so this definitely sped up that process

although i do miss hanging out with friends in general

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Aug 19 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
i miss being able to go to a bar and starting a tab
although i do miss hanging out with friends in general

Same here. I miss being able to go out and do stuff. Some places are open, but I'm so scared of getting covid. I miss eating out at restaurants, going to the movies, and even going out to nearby theme parks. Nasty covid making me stay home. It's depressing.

He knows your algorithm.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 26 2020 06:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I finally tore myself out of the culinary industry just in time to work for a company that makes complex ceramic parts for things like military and medical equipment, so I saw no difference in my work schedule. I then come home looking forward to the possibility of vegging out without having to worry about social expectations. The problem is that my girlfriend has been out of work, so I play less video games and watch less media because it's what she's forced to do all day, so she gets upset the moment I sit down to a game or movie. So I work for 12 hours, and get home, and the only thing I'm allowed to do is talk to her before I go to bed.

Though I did get to play Frog Fractions the other day, though, and that game owns.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Aug 26 2020 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
The problem is that my girlfriend has been out of work, so I play less video games and watch less media because it's what she's forced to do all day, so she gets upset the moment I sit down to a game or movie. So I work for 12 hours, and get home, and the only thing I'm allowed to do is talk to her before I go to bed.

That's messed up. You should have a discussion with her about how that's wrong. She should be job searching because the country has stopped the quarantine. You shouldn't be banned from leisure time after working 12 hours, when she has been sitting around all day.

He knows your algorithm.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Aug 27 2020 01:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
Greg the White wrote:
The problem is that my girlfriend has been out of work, so I play less video games and watch less media because it's what she's forced to do all day, so she gets upset the moment I sit down to a game or movie. So I work for 12 hours, and get home, and the only thing I'm allowed to do is talk to her before I go to bed.

That's messed up. You should have a discussion with her about how that's wrong. She should be job searching because the country has stopped the quarantine. You shouldn't be banned from leisure time after working 12 hours, when she has been sitting around all day.

This 1000x over. Like, I don't feel its my place to say who should be looking for what job or w/e, but she can damn well stfu if you want to play a freaking game when you get home. Fuck THAT noise.

militarysignatures.com

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Aug 27 2020 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really get that logic either.
You can talk to her while playing videogames.
I mean, it sounds like she really wants your attention, because she's probably feeling lonely sitting at home all day long and don't wants you giving away tha attention to a game but maybe you can reason with her and compromise.

Worth a try i would say.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: