"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Simpsons

Reply to topic
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Apr 14 2008 04:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone else noticed that alot of episodes end with Homer and Marge in the sack? Confused

Greg the White
PostPosted: Apr 14 2008 04:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, i hate to go all hipster here, but I do think the older episodes had something over about season 9 and up. Though, I do have to admit the movie was good, albeit with some really formulaic plot moments, and they are starting to make the newer episodes a little better than that slump for a few years.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 14 2008 04:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say that seasons 3-10 are probably the best. The rest are a mixed bag.

The first two seasons are good in their own special way, but there's very few laugh out loud moments in them.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Greg the White
PostPosted: Apr 14 2008 08:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'd say that seasons 3-10 are probably the best. The rest are a mixed bag.

The first two seasons are good in their own special way, but there's very few laugh out loud moments in them.

I laugh purely at how muched it changed. The animation in the first two seasons are just so weird and "bouncy" for lack of a better term. Also, I realize voices change as the recording techniques improve and the voice actors try new things, but in the first two seasons, every member of the Simpsons family sounds like they're on horse tranquilizers.

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Apr 14 2008 09:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I have Ph. D in Simpsons, but I'm not fond on these late episodes...most probably they're gonna lose the FOX crown to Family Guy.
the funniest one, for me, was Krusty Gets Kancelled. Johnny Carson, Bette Midler as an angry enviroment defensor and some coot lowering his pants did it.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Apr 14 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chile Guy wrote:
Well, I have Ph. D in Simpsons, but I'm not fond on these late episodes...most probably they're gonna lose the FOX crown to Family Guy.
the funniest one, for me, was Krusty Gets Kancelled. Johnny Carson, Bette Midler as an angry enviroment defensor and some coot lowering his pants did it.

That's true, though I think seasons two and three of Family Guy are better than most Simpsons. Then the creators of Family Guy tossed out that mix of "When I was..." mixed with some good conversational humor in favor of eight million "worse than the time..." jokes, The Office-esque long-ass awkward dialogue sequences, and reviving old jokes that are not funny the second time (Black-U-Weather Forecast was funny once- that's it). I guess I'm just bitter that the show was completely hijacked by people who wear Hot-Topic shirts with dumb sayings on them.

But back on topic, I still always have a place in my heart for The Simpsons. After SNL was the only funny thing on American TV for decades, someone finally decided "hey, these crappy sitcoms with over-acting people who say an insult and make a funny face into the cameras isn't working. Let's get the fucking Simpsons in here." Then magic happened.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 14 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
Chile Guy wrote:
Well, I have Ph. D in Simpsons, but I'm not fond on these late episodes...

That's true, though I think seasons two and three of Family Guy are better than most Simpsons.

What's even more true is that you can get a Ph. D on The Simpsons. How many schools offer courses on it now? Rolling Eyes

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 03 2008 07:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The cast of The Simpsons have signed a four-year deal that guarantees a 20th season of the popular TV show, according to trade paper Variety.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7434296.stm

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jun 03 2008 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I believe Matt and Trey originally planned to do commentaries for every South Park episode, but after Time Warner refused to include the Season 1 commentaries on the DVD, they got pissed and switched to doing mini commentaries on selected episodes.

I own most of the seasons and it's mini(maybe 5min) on every episode.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

username
PostPosted: Oct 09 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bumping an old topic cuz there are like 20k simpsons topics already.

at any rate, i just caught the treehouse of horror last night & i was duly impressed w/the intro. i like how they went all out for the intro. the show itself was whatev. the first mini-sode was pretty good. the 2nd one, not so good, and the 3rd one was better than the 2nd one.

anyone else catch this? or have any opinions on it?

heres the intro:

Klimbatize wrote:

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Oct 09 2013 02:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They should've had Ranier Wolfcastle as a Tyrant.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Oct 11 2013 08:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to watch that episode on a lark, and was also impressed by the intro. The ep itself was pretty crappy, of course, although I did get a kick out of some of the Seuss parody.
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Dec 20 2013 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All the original "good" writers from the golden era of the Simpsons have probably moved on to different higher paying projects long ago so that is why it probably feels like a shell of its former self now. I have no idea why they won't cancel it to be honest.

I agree with the consensus that the show peaked after Season 8 but when I was in college I really enjoyed the 18th season of the show for some reason.

I think if you watch the Simpsons its better to watch a season on a block schedule after it season has completed instead of watching one episode each week with high hopes for laughs and being disappointed.

username
PostPosted: Dec 20 2013 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GeorgeTaylor wrote:
I think if you watch the Simpsons its better to watch a season on a block schedule after it season has completed instead of watching one episode each week with high hopes for laughs and being disappointed.

thats probably the best way to watch most sitcoms or comedy shows. since we all know not all episodes are going to be gold (except season 2 of chappelles show... all episodes were gold)

Klimbatize wrote:

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 10 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I think this is the best "alternative" couch gag they've done:

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

username
PostPosted: Jan 11 2014 06:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that was pretty awesome.

Klimbatize wrote:

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Mar 24 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I picked up the first 10 seasons on DVD for 60 bucks the other day. Didn't realize how many little things got cut from the episodes I watched in syndication. Seeing Itchy cut Scratchy and Hitlers heaeds off, then having FDR kick both of their corpses in the ass, and seeing a distressed worker with a shot gun say "I am the Angel of Death, the hour of purification is upon us"; made buying the dvd's completely worth it.

Everyone seems to like the first 10 season, or at least think it went downhill after season 10. While a lot of the original writers had left/were leaving around this time, I also find it interesting that where the series starts to fall off a bit, is also around the timeframe that Phil Hartmans characters were retired after his death,

I watched the older seasons episodes daily as there was always at least one or two episodes on every day, so I hadn't realized completely that Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz were no longer on the current show. When I look back, the shows I remember most as a kid were from that first ten seasons. I remembered enjoying some of the new shows on sunday night, but none of them stick out like some from the first 10.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 25 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

anorexorcist wrote:
I picked up the first 10 seasons on DVD for 60 bucks the other day. Didn't realize how many little things got cut from the episodes I watched in syndication. Seeing Itchy cut Scratchy and Hitlers heaeds off, then having FDR kick both of their corpses in the ass, and seeing a distressed worker with a shot gun say "I am the Angel of Death, the hour of purification is upon us"; made buying the dvd's completely worth it.

Yeah, that's the best part of the dvds. It's like little surprises for each episode.
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 01:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have been really enjoying the "Every Simpsons Ever" on the Roku FX channel. For some reason I don't even have FXX but it still lets you watch the Simpsons.

sderiis
PostPosted: Oct 12 2019 01:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I own 1-8 and won't be buying anymore. 9 is when the bad episodes first outnumbered the good episodes.

The Scorpio episode in 8 is my favorite episode next to the 22 Short Stories about Springfield ep.
Reply to topic

Jump to: