"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Mega Man X: Corrupted

Reply to topic
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Sep 15 2014 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since the SNES was my first console, the first three Mega Man X games are some of my all-time favorites. It's been wonderful to see Not Sure demolish various Mega Man NES romhacks, though this has only increased my desire to have a new, challenging SNES era Mega Man X experience.

Over the last three to four years, JKB Games - a random assortment of spriters and coders tinkering in their free time - have been working on just that. This fangame has some serious potential and is being built with the flash-based Adobe Actionscript 3. It's not a romhack, but the graphics and design retain the SNES vibe. The same goes for the soundtrack!

Overall
Corrupted features eight new mavericks; new enemies; new weapons and skills; new armors; five levels of difficulties ("C" through "S+" if I'm correct); environmental changes after bosses are defeated; ride armors; lives, checkpoint and save point systems; and, of course, several hidden collectibles.

The game is set after X5. X and Zero will be playable; Axl and Vile are not featured. X has no saber moves, and Zero has no buster moves. Each has a separate intro stage.

Though the traditional structure featuring eight Maverick stages technically remains, Corrupted offers a Metroidvania/open world setup with hidden items and multiple paths to complete stage; a level up system allowing players to use skill points to improve weapons; and a "Final Four" system that makes level and difficulty adjustments based on which Mavericks remain as the last four bosses:

JKB Games Staff Member at 1/28/14 wrote:
After completing the intro stage, you start in the hunter base and have your missions to stop the eight mavericks, but with your current equipment you can only reach three. Upon each of their defeat either you gain a weapon that allows you to travel somewhere new, or the maverick's destruction causes something to change in the world and grant new places to explore. Examples of such would be Force Starfish, who gives you a weapon that can break hard blocks and crystals, and Sparkling Scorpio, who relinquishes his energy back to the power plant so all its devices can function. There world is non-linear and many paths are dependant on the defeat of certain bosses.

Also, just in case the X series desensitized you at all, these are freaking MAVERICKS. They don't just wait in their boss room for you to come kill them. They have agendas, and they want to make your life miserable. Each and every maverick has a mission they're on for the first half of the game, and if you don't go after them, they succeed in carrying it out. One example is Warfare Milodon, who has taken over the weapons factory for the purpose of creating new and powerful mechaniloids for his force, and if he's not one of the first four bosses you defeat, he completes his research and elite enemies start appearing in the world, and Milodon himself gains a powerful new attack. This is the case for all of the last four mavericks remaining, and all have some effect that makes the world harder and their boss fight harder.

Not much has been said about the main antagonist or the post-Maverick levels.

The team is perpetually silent as to when the game will be completed; I believe at one point they switched game engines and created a new level editor. However, once released, the game will be playable for free on the PC. Controls are configurable, though joy2key or similar external programs will be needed to play the game with a controller.

Take a peek at the videos below to see how much polish has gone into this project! I will definitely keep the thread updated as new developments occur, and I for one look forward to playing it.

Videos
Zero versus Crystal Rafflar (Final Four), S Class Difficulty
X versus Sub-boss RT MK2, B Class and S Class Difficulty Comparison - very intriguing to see that higher difficulties result in adjusted enemy AI, as opposed to solely bumping up enemy HP. Also, it appears that X's air dash boots are unlocked from the get-go, which I applaud. I always felt as though the SNES bosses were rarely designed to counter that upgrade, so hopefully this is a good design choice.
Various Game Menus

Other Links
JKB Games on Facebook - semi-regular updates on the game's development progress.
JKB Games on Youtube - video updates (which are also posted on the Facebook page).
Mega Man X Corrupted Soundtrack - something about that SPC700 chip is timeless.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Sep 15 2014 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I looked up the Mavericks and wow, they really reached to come up with those ideas. All of them were terrible and scream fan made. I've seen Sonic OC's that were designed better.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Preng
PostPosted: Sep 15 2014 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All the cool creatures like tigers, eagles and sponges have already been taken, mang. But yeah, some of them are a bit of a stretch.

Edit: Okay, I just looked up some of the Mavericks in the games I haven't played. Capcom had a water flea, dung beetle, onion, and a sunflower? ha HA! Yeah, I'm happy enough with the Corrupted designs.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Sep 19 2014 03:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Zero was M.I.A. between X5 and 6. The makers did know that, right?
Preng
PostPosted: Sep 19 2014 09:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd bet they do. Not much about the game's plot has been discussed, though the fact that Axl is absent probably means that they're taking some creative liberties.

All the same, I'm not really invested in the plot. You know? I've only played X1 - X4 which can be summarized as "Sigma is an antagonist."
jprime
PostPosted: Sep 19 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's nothing creative about Axl's absence; He didn't show up until X7.
Preng
PostPosted: Jun 28 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Still no release date but this recent video would seem to show that things are moving smoothly. This is on the toughest difficulty and I cannot wait to play this.
jprime
PostPosted: Jun 28 2015 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Crystal...Tulip, I wanna say? Not that it isn't all the same to me. Although I'd rather the video have shown what was on the other side of that door.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jun 28 2015 03:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by that door.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jun 28 2015 08:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what's more astonishing: that's it's been in active development for this long, or that they're committed to releasing it in Flash.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Preng
PostPosted: Feb 21 2016 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Still no word on a release date, but progress is progress! Very excited.
jprime
PostPosted: Feb 21 2016 02:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Napalm Newt?
The Opponent
PostPosted: Feb 26 2016 05:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This game will never come out.

jprime
PostPosted: Feb 26 2016 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not with that attitude.
Milhouse
PostPosted: Mar 01 2016 02:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That game looks harder than hell... Did NotSure design that level?
LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 01 2016 05:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MILHOUSE DON'T EVER LEAVE AGAIN STAY HERE AND POST MORE WE LOVE YOU
LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 01 2016 05:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, for old-times' sake, can you re-upload your old Doofus Drake avatar?
Milhouse
PostPosted: Mar 02 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You guys check out what original Mega Man carts are going for on eBay? I bought a Mega Man 7 on snes 10 years ago for, like, $30... It's going for over $200 now! I think I've been lost in parenthood and missed the inflation.

I don't remember how to put up the doofus avi...but it is I, Super-Doo!
Preng
PostPosted: Aug 07 2017 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I maintain that this game is going to be dope (as long as it doesn't get c&d'd)!
jprime
PostPosted: Aug 08 2017 04:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Given that X is going to be in the next Marvel Vs. Capcom, we'll just have to wait and see on that.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Aug 08 2017 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Capcom is on the record of being supportive of fan games. My only issue is that since it's still being developed in Flash, it might not have much long-term life unless the developer starts porting it to literally anything else like right now.

Preng
PostPosted: Aug 27 2019 09:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This project continues to look dope.
Preng
PostPosted: Jan 06 2023 08:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

2023 status check: Dope

The project dropped Flash for HTML5. Still very impressed with what this crew is cooking up.
Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: Feb 06 2023 02:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mega Man X was my introduction to the Mega Man Series, and this looks cool as hell.
Reply to topic

Jump to: