SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

  [Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What're you listening to?


Reply to topic
Author Message
Probable Muppet
Joined: Aug 05 2008
Location: CA
PostPosted: Aug 19 2015 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

View user's profileSend private message
maverickhuntergirlz492
Joined: Feb 04 2015
Location: California
PostPosted: Aug 28 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Iron Mic. It's the one Sugar Ray song I'll ever like.
View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Sep 23 2015 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Been really diggin' Beck's Morning Phase album lately. Folk rock. It's got some intriguing juxtapositions going for it. The overall tone is both somber and optimistic. The instrumentation is both conventional (the crisp, clear acoustic guitar is center stage) and ethereal (frequently, Beck's voice or other instruments are slowly passing by in the background). Always a treat to see such stuff pulled off successfully.

Very relaxing for work, play, or reading right before bed. I highly recommend it, and some of my favorite tracks are below.

Morning
Say Goodbye
Waking Light
View user's profileSend private message
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
Joined: May 21 2008
Location: The Cock and Plucket
PostPosted: Sep 23 2015 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been on a Dead Kennedy's kick recently, especially Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables. I really like the speed and the energy of everything, even if you can't always tell what Jello Biafra is saying.


Lawyers, Guns and Money
 
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
Joined: Aug 17 2006
Location: Casa Del Guapo
PostPosted: Sep 24 2015 01:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameo and some Max Mix stuff. Don't know why, but the latter always gets me psyched to get back into studying languages.


"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis
 
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger
Cameron
Title: :O O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Sep 26 2015 07:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top



Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
Probable Muppet
Joined: Aug 05 2008
Location: CA
PostPosted: Sep 27 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:


This is really, really good. Thanks for posting it.
View user's profileSend private message
Cameron
Title: :O O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Jan 12 2016 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top



Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
LeshLush
Joined: Oct 19 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Jan 19 2016 01:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bowie kick, because he's dead. His new album, Blackstar, is really good. Favorite tracks on it are Tis a Pity She Was A Whore and Girl Loves Me.
View user's profileSend private message
Cameron
Title: :O O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Feb 20 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
Bowie kick, because he's dead. His new album, Blackstar, is really good. Favorite tracks on it are Tis a Pity She Was A Whore and Girl Loves Me.

Is it too early to say I really wasn't a fan of this album? I thought it was incredibly monotonous and while I think it's really interesting that someone on the verge of death made an album about that exact thing, I really do not understand the hype behind the album's actual music.


Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
LeshLush
Joined: Oct 19 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Feb 21 2016 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
LeshLush wrote:
Bowie kick, because he's dead. His new album, Blackstar, is really good. Favorite tracks on it are Tis a Pity She Was A Whore and Girl Loves Me.

Is it too early to say I really wasn't a fan of this album? I thought it was incredibly monotonous and while I think it's really interesting that someone on the verge of death made an album about that exact thing, I really do not understand the hype behind the album's actual music.

I don't think it's ever too early to say you don't like a dead person's art, as long as you're not a dick about. I can totally understand you not liking the album, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone could find it monotonous. The first three tracks, Blackstar, Lazarus, and Tis a Pity She Was a Whoe all very, very different songs, and that variety continues along with the album. The only two that kind of sound the same to me are Dollar Days and I Can't Give Everything Away. The only thing I can think of is that all the songs are all engineered in the same way, and maybe you don't like how consistent the mix is?
View user's profileSend private message
Cameron
Title: :O O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Feb 22 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
Cameron wrote:
LeshLush wrote:
Bowie kick, because he's dead. His new album, Blackstar, is really good. Favorite tracks on it are Tis a Pity She Was A Whore and Girl Loves Me.

Is it too early to say I really wasn't a fan of this album? I thought it was incredibly monotonous and while I think it's really interesting that someone on the verge of death made an album about that exact thing, I really do not understand the hype behind the album's actual music.

I don't think it's ever too early to say you don't like a dead person's art, as long as you're not a dick about. I can totally understand you not liking the album, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone could find it monotonous. The first three tracks, Blackstar, Lazarus, and Tis a Pity She Was a Whoe all very, very different songs, and that variety continues along with the album. The only two that kind of sound the same to me are Dollar Days and I Can't Give Everything Away. The only thing I can think of is that all the songs are all engineered in the same way, and maybe you don't like how consistent the mix is?

I'm thinking that's the case. The production reminds me a lot of Radiohead's The King of Limbs, albeit more interesting.


Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
Cameron
Title: :O O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Feb 25 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top



Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Mar 16 2016 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^Sorry Cam, not quite my cup of tea.

This song is just beautiful. Starts off very lowkey, but the progressive layers are incredible and I really enjoy the buildup at the end. The subtle trumpet and strings are very nice touches.
View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Apr 02 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

No posts in this thread for over a year?! I don't like this!

Maybe about a year ago, I believe sir Andrew Man enlightened me on this lovely piece from virt, which is part of a free compilation that can be grabbed here:


Today I looked into some of the subsequent release (which can also be freely grabbed here) and found this tasty track.


Very nice Sega Genesis/Mega Drive vibes. As for the compilations they're part of, well, some tracks are definitely more interesting/fleshed out than others! There are some nice finds within them, though.
View user's profileSend private message
Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
Joined: Mar 15 2011
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Apr 12 2017 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never really listened to much Whitesnake, but this showed up in my recommended songs at one point, and I really like it.


It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison
Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
Cameron
Title: :O O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Jun 18 2017 01:57 am Reply with quote Back to top



Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
LeshLush
Joined: Oct 19 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Sep 15 2017 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just started getting into an obscure Japanese progressive rock game called Bi Kyo Ran. Their first album is the best. Very influenced by Bruford/Wetton-era King Crimson, if that's anyone else's thing.

View user's profileSend private message
Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
Joined: Mar 15 2011
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Nov 29 2017 07:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

The game was, apparently, mediocre. But I kinda' like the soundtrack. Smile



It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison
Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

 
 Jump to: