"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 17 2017 04:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished playing the demo and overall I'm pretty unimpressed with the gameplay. Punches & kicks are back but for some profoundly stupid reason teams only consist of two people. Combos are incredibly easy to pull off to the point where I was able to beat the first four matches by literally rotating my thumb clockwise across the face buttons on my PS4 controller (except the last match because it's a scripted loss).

I've been reading online that people are comparing the story mode to a terrible fanfic, which I can understand; although it was only a demo, what I saw of the story mode consisted of random characters spouting one-liners and each others' names repeatedly in-between fights with generic robots. Worst of all, though, I'm extremely disappointed with the announced roster thus far; the vast majority of the cast consist of repeats from MvC3, recycled character models and all. I'm pretty stoked that Jedah Dohma from Darkstalkers, Black Panther and Gamora will be in the cast, and that Frank West and Firebrand will be returning, but outside of that the cast seems to just be boring, obvious picks/faces of respective franchises. DLC and a day-one patch have already been announced, whee.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Sep 17 2017 01:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The demo on PSN was extremely poor and has been known since it was released. The sole purpose of it was to tell the world that this game has a real story mode, because that was apparently everyone's biggest complaint about Street Fighter V. It's especially bad because the public builds available at trade shows were a lot better and actually let you play against other people, but for whatever reason, neither Capcom nor Sony ever let anyone download this actual good demo on their PS4s.

As for the actual game itself, I'm hearing it's decent at worst. As for me, if I ever get this game, it'll be on PS4 disc because I want to play it without the day-one patches that fix the models.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Cameron
PostPosted: Sep 17 2017 05:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
I want to play it without the day-one patches that fix the models.

Why?

The Opponent
PostPosted: Sep 18 2017 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's the kind of game that entertains me.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Sep 18 2017 01:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This game will feature something neither version of the last did: A Mega Man. I'd say that's another sign that Capcom is recovering.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 18 2017 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
This game will feature something neither version of the last did: A Mega Man. I'd say that's another sign that Capcom is recovering.

I'll believe that when I see an actual Mega Man game.
Cameron
PostPosted: Sep 18 2017 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
That's the kind of game that entertains me.

Fair enough. All of the early reviews I've read so far say the game is ugly as sin, so you're in luck.
LeshLush wrote:
jprime wrote:

I'll believe that when I see an actual Mega Man game.

Same.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 19 2017 09:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you had the choice to reinvigorate either Capcom or Konami, which would you pick?
Cameron
PostPosted: Sep 19 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
If you had the choice to reinvigorate either Capcom or Konami, which would you pick?

My favorite game series in the world are Silent Hill and Castlevania, so that goes without saying. Both companies could really use a revamp, although Resident Evil 7 has kind of been a recent saving grace for Capcom, in my eyes.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Sep 20 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:

It's no secret around here that I grew up revering Capcom. If, during that time, someone had told me that they'd fall into a downward spiral when I'm grown up, I'd have laughed in their faces, and then suddenly flashed back to that time when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled. Part of me wants to euthanize the company, but if some of their recent efforts are any indication, I'd say they deserve a second chance.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Sep 21 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:

You know what's hilarious in hindsight that wasn't obvious before? Mega Man was in the latest Smash Bros. game and everybody, especially Nintendo, made as big a deal out of it as possible. There's even more than one Mega Man amiibo. And how does Capcom repay Nintendo for making Mega Man relevant again in 2014-2015? By shafting them time and time again for basically every big multiplatform game of theirs and even most of their smaller ones. That Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 never came out for any Nintendo platform, not even Disney Afternoon Collection, a compilation of 100% Nintendo games. And on the Nintendo Direct last week, they had only one game to offer while bigger companies had several. And the game in question is a port of Apollo Justice, a game that came out in 2007, for 3DS, a handheld that came out in 2011.

To be fair, there might be some bigger reason this keeps happening and maybe some dumb licensing issue is keeping the collections out of Nintendo's platforms. But man does it look bad for Capcom in any case.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 25 2017 01:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
The demo on PSN was extremely poor and has been known since it was released. The sole purpose of it was to tell the world that this game has a real story mode, because that was apparently everyone's biggest complaint about Street Fighter V. It's especially bad because the public builds available at trade shows were a lot better and actually let you play against other people, but for whatever reason, neither Capcom nor Sony ever let anyone download this actual good demo on their PS4s.

As for the actual game itself, I'm hearing it's decent at worst. As for me, if I ever get this game, it'll be on PS4 disc because I want to play it without the day-one patches that fix the models.

Yo, Excel, I know that you also were a regular on the A.V. Club Gameological comments section, back before it got Kinja'd and everybody left. If you're not aware, I wanted to let you know that a bunch of old A.V. Club people have set up a freestanding Disqus channel where the spirit of the old site lives on, and there's always at least one weekly game thread, with a bunch of the old Gameological regulars. We'd love to have your voice if you want to keep up any of those connections. There aren't as many people as were on Gameological, but old regulars keep wandering over every day.

Here's a link to today's Games thread, if you're interested:
https://disqus.com/home/discussion/channel-theavclubafterdark/other_weekly_games_thread_remembers_generic_mascot_characters/
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 27 2017 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

this game feels like a big F U for not having wolverine or any xmen at all. I understand why that happened, but that's just DUMB

at any rate, I'm looking forward to Dragon ball fighterz more than this game, that's for sure

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Cameron
PostPosted: Sep 29 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll probably get it in 5 years when it inevitably ends up in the $10-or-less bin at Gamestop. Honestly, I think my biggest disappointment is the reduction of team size from three characters to two.

Reply to topic

Jump to: