SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What games are you currently playing?

Reply to topic
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 10 2016 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Xenoblade Chronicles X. Whenever the game is not in a cutscene, it is awesome and I am loving it. Whenever I am forced to watch a cutscene, I briefly flirts with murder-rampage.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 06 2016 08:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I gave up on Xenoblade Chronicles a couple months. Turns out I just don't have the patience or the temperament for massive JRPGs anymore. Right now, I've been working on getting gold on all the cups in all the Mario Karts I don't have gold on yet, biding my time while I wait for Star Fox Zero.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Mar 07 2016 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is probably a dumb question, but do the Xenoblade games have anything to do with Xenogears or Xenosaga? I asked a friend the same question, and she told me that they essentially carry the name as a form of bait-and-switch intended to draw the attention of older RPG fans. I've been wanting to play the newer games if only because Xenogears is one of my favorite games ever, but not if they share no connection with the older games.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 07 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Are Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy III related?
Cameron
PostPosted: Mar 07 2016 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:

They don't, but the Xeno games prior to Chronicles & Universe were all connected by recurring plot elements and characters. I guess I'm just disappointed that (and correct me if I'm totally wrong here) the battle system and gameplay aren't even related to the previous games.

Silent Hill 2, for example, had nothing to do with the previous game in terms of plot, which was fine with me, but I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it as much if it had completely changed the gameplay from survival horror to first-person shooter.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 07 2016 04:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
LeshLush wrote:

They don't, but the Xeno games prior to Chronicles & Universe were all connected by recurring plot elements and characters. I guess I'm just disappointed that (and correct me if I'm totally wrong here) the battle system and gameplay aren't even related to the previous games.

Silent Hill 2, for example, had nothing to do with the previous game in terms of plot, which was fine with me, but I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it as much if it had completely changed the gameplay from survival horror to first-person shooter.

Yeah, no more related plots, characters, etc. It's much more in line with the current Final Fantasy rule of maybe being vaguely related in flavor. I've never played the early Xeno games, but the mechanics of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X are similar in a few areas, different in others.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 12 2016 01:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Been playing Binding of Isaac Rebirth and Mega Man Legacy Collection.

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Mar 18 2016 07:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fucking Rocket League...

@om*d
PostPosted: Mar 20 2016 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is Rocket League worth it if you're not into soccer? I've heard it is a fun game but was hesitant to get it because I'm not a big soccer fan.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 21 2016 09:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've never played it, but my friends who are really into it are the farthest thing from athletes or sports fans imaginable. I think you could have fun with it even if you don't care about soccer.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Mar 21 2016 07:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rocket League is very fun. If you have two or three friends who play regularly, I'd say it's worth the purchase. It's easy enough to learn (smooth controls, simple objectives) but the difficulty curve is surprisingly deep (mastering rocket jumps, predicting where enemies will be/where the ball will head after a hit).

There is also a pure shenanigans factor, an ever-present chance of a lucky hit making an impossible goal, or where a player can block a goal without intending to. I really appreciate this factor and it keeps things amiable and goofy, as opposed to rigid and serious. At least, that's the experience that I've had.

I'm not a huge soccer mang myself. Though to be honest, Rocket League gives me some fair nostalgia for playing the stunt modes in San Francisco Rush 2 and Rush 2049. Just with a greater team-based objective to keep everything focused.

I've only owned the game for about two weeks and it's already resulted in some great moments in private matches (that isn't to say that good times haven't been had in normal matchmaking):

(Two other videos here and here)

If you'd be the only one going in, your mileage may vary. As multiplayer-intensive as the game is, I can't imagine flying solo would be very fun outside of the 1v1 playlist.
@om*d
PostPosted: Mar 22 2016 05:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I would probably be going solo since my friends are all playing Ark and The Division. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 14 2016 05:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Currently playing Dark Souls III and Street Fighter V. Some funny moments so far in both titles.

View on YouTube

View on YouTube
Preng
PostPosted: Aug 08 2016 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice clips, Muppet!

Picked up Overwatch on the Xbox One recently. It's good fun with friends, and while I'm still generally learning the characters and maps, somehow I managed this goodness:

Meanwhile, in Fallout 4, I am defeated by the smallest of challenges.

Also, for the two of you that don't absolutely hate Gears of War, the crew and I have been up to our ears this year in shenanigans and close matches.
Gears of War 4 Beta Clips - nice kills but mostly shenanigans, including some of the wonkiest ragdolls I've seen in awhile, 2 minutes
Mortar Madness - private match shenanigans, 9 minutes
Blitz on Mausoleum - close match where we direct a new strategy mid-match, 24 minutes
Cameron
PostPosted: Aug 17 2016 02:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Mega Man Legacy Collection.

As an owner of the original six NES cartridges, is this worth my time?

@om*d
PostPosted: Aug 17 2016 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It depends. I personally love the Mega Man games and I'll probably always buy them no matter how many times they get re-released. Plus, it was only like 10 bucks (on sale) when I picked it up, so you can't beat that.

More details on the actual game:

It has a database for each game that tells you enemies hp and attack powers, what they're weak to, as well as production art. There is also a music player to listen to all of the music from the games. Probably the best part is all of the challenges, some of which are quite great.

I think the game is also on the 3DS, so if you have one maybe that would be a better option, as being able to play them all anywhere on a handheld would be pretty sweet.

Cameron
PostPosted: Aug 17 2016 05:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Huh, I had no idea it was on Steam. I just saw it in Wal-mart the other day for Xbox One and 3DS for $20 apiece. I thought about getting the 3DS one, but I'm assuming there aren't any added 3D effects. I'm kind of confused as to why it was released given 1. Mega Man Anniversary Collection exists, 2. The series appears to be dying, and 3. Most of the games are on the 3DS e-shop anyway, but it seems like a decent buy for someone who isn't aware of the series already or doesn't know how to emulate the games.

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Aug 19 2016 05:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been playing Dragon Quest Heroes. I love Dragon Quest. I love Dynasty Warriors. It's a nice combination of the hack n slash with some DQ nostalgia. So I'm enjoying it. But it's really making me want to play a new old school style turn based jrpg. It seems like anything that comes out these days is either branching out into new genres, is more of a western style adventure rpg, or some sort of hybrid.

I know DQVII is being released on the 3DS, and I'll probably play the FFVII remake at some point, but I really want a good current gen turn based jrpg to play.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Oct 07 2016 08:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been playing a good deal of Metroid Prime: Federation Force since it came out. I've had a great time with it and think it's a shame it got so much flack. Sure, I'd love a new main entry Metroid game as much as the next guy, but this game has a lot to offer too and I'm glad they made it. To me, it makes use of the 3DS's squandered potential. Since I've owned a 3DS, I've craved more online co-op experiences with it like I had in RE: Revelations and Triforce Heroes. I had a blast playing Triforce Heroes and I get the same enjoyment out of this game. My only gripe with these games are the incompetent teammates you come across but that's not the game's fault. However, it does make it all the more satisfying when you find a group that has their shit together.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Preng
PostPosted: Apr 09 2017 05:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shovel Knight's next expansion, Specter of Torment, has been released on Steam. I'm about 1/3rd in and it's been enjoyable so far! You play as Specter Knight, whose movement is heavily inspired by Ninja Gaiden. The stages feature several similar mechanical elements from the main game, but are generally redesigned and leave much to be learned. The bosses have also been updated with somewhat different attack patterns and boss room environments.

I recall several folks being thrown off by Plague Knight's expansion, as his controls were fairly challenging to grasp. In comparison, Specter Knight's controls are much more intuitive, but you really need to avoid button mashing.

From what I can tell so far, the overworld has been replaced with a stage select feature, which feels refreshing as now you can attempt stages in whatever order you choose.

So far, I highly recommend playing it! It's fairly challenging and you definitely want to have played the normal campaign beforehand, though.

There's like a million different versions of Shovel Knight now, and not all of them have been updated yet, so release info can be found here.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Apr 10 2017 08:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't really like playing as Plague Knight and never finished that campaign. Hopefully I'll enjoy this one more.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Preng
PostPosted: Apr 10 2017 09:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Plague Knight's "charge an attack button to get an addition jump" definitely turned my brain upside down for awhile. It made much more sense as time went on - but after completing the game I realized Yacht Club had posted two pages of game mechanics insight, and honestly, they described some some techniques that I still hadn't been aware of. I tend to look at it as an "oh, neat" sort of revelation 'cause I tend to love mechanical tidbits in games, but I can certainly see the "difficulties reaching the player/intuition" side of the argument.
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Aug 22 2019 04:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the Plague Knight episode but i agree that getting used to the way you need to control him took a while.
The character itself and the little darker twist it gave Shovel Knight were a nice addition, in my oppinion.
But i kinda feel like i am done with Shovel Knight, idk, thats whats keeping me from playing Spectre of Torment.

Playing Mario Maker 2 for the Switch right now.

Edit: I just noticed i participated in 2 year old conversation. I guess with so many dead threads this had to happen sooner or later ^^
brellow
PostPosted: Aug 24 2019 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing the Witcher 3. I had put off buying it knowing that I'd either regret buying it and not getting into it, or regret buying it for how much I would get into it. I only played a few hours of the second one. I'm thirty-forty hours into the third game and I love it. I put so much time into exploring the first big map that I am over-leveled for the main story, but I totally don't mind that.

I bought it for myself at the same time as I bought my wife GTA5. She and I have been planning out our time off work around who gets to use the ps4. She's put maybe forty-fifty hours into that and I've been playing the helicopter flying missions and the really big gun battles since that is not her video game background, but she loves it.

Photobucket

aradralami
PostPosted: Dec 17 2019 09:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

playing Total war Attila and i think CA have made many good games in the past. sometimes they go wrong and can't achieve the targets that they set, this may be due to SEGA forcing an early release (they fund it, they own it) or because of lack of experience with features, but Total War: Attila is everything that Rome II should have been, this has happened before with Empire total war and then they sorted it out with Napoleon, Total War Attila is amazing, in depth, immersive, fun and almost bug free, give CA another chance and pick this up.
Reply to topic

Jump to: