"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Official Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

Reply to topic
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Apr 03 2015 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking it would be cool to have a thread about the Marvel Cinematic/Netflix Universe, where we could post news, reviews and thoughts on all of these beautiful films coming out!

I suppose we could discuss the non Marvel studios films too, like Fantastic Four, Deadpool and the X-Men films.

So just to start off an actual discussion, what's your favorite movie so far, and are you looking forward to the debut of Daredevil on Netflix on the 10th?

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 04 2015 02:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know, I am a huge DC fan (specifically Batman obsessed) and I always have felt like the Marvel movies are a little too over the top. The Iron Man movies and the Anvengers were all fun to watch but I don't see the big deal.

Anyways, I think the best Marvel movie so far is Winter Soldier. I was pleasantly amazed by how good this was.

Also, I can't wait (Hope) for Doctor Doom to show up.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Apr 04 2015 01:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, DC, multiple universes withstanding, has always tried to keep everything cohesive and all characters continuous with each other. Whenever they have a universe reboot, it's for the sake of simplifying the universe. Marvel is always all over the place with huge over-the-top universe-changing storylines that they spend years trying to ret-con. And then with DC you have writers like Geoff Johns an Jeph Loeb who did well to really humanize the superheroes and make them as relatable as possible.

As far as favorite movies, I think Guardians is my favorite, and Winter Soldier is a close second, and that might be because they're not trying to be over-the-top superhero summer popcorn flicks.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 04 2015 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
Yeah, DC, multiple universes withstanding, has always tried to keep everything cohesive and all characters continuous with each other. Whenever they have a universe reboot, it's for the sake of simplifying the universe. Marvel is always all over the place with huge over-the-top universe-changing storylines that they spend years trying to ret-con. And then with DC you have writers like Geoff Johns an Jeph Loeb who did well to really humanize the superheroes and make them as relatable as possible.

As far as favorite movies, I think Guardians is my favorite, and Winter Soldier is a close second, and that might be because they're not trying to be over-the-top superhero summer popcorn flicks.

Guardians was really good too. I had a hard time picking between Winter Soldier and Guardians.

DC is trying to do the same thing as MVU but I have a feeling they are going to fail hard.

Also, It is worth mentioning that DC just recently ret-conned their entire universe. They are just as guilty as Marvel for doing similar but this is necessary evil.

Would say that Superman is the worst, most bland superhero ever IMO. It's not his fault though as he was basically the prototype of superheroes. Biggest problem I have with the concept of Superman is that he is nearly invincible and this often leads to his writers having to utilize deus ex machina way too often.

Batman on the other hand is extremely interesting. He has evolved in so many interesting ways. I love the 60's Batman show for its campiness and it's just ridiculously goofy:

Then there is the late 80s grim dark batman and the Tim Burton movies that followed. Both of them are great movies in my opinion. I still think Batman Returns' Catwoman is the best version.

Christopher Nolan did a great job on the recent trilogy. He shows how Batman is just as insane as his villians and illustrates that the facade of Bruce Wayne is his mask. Batman has no superpowers. He is simply a billionaire brat with some real mental issues that holds to a strange moral code and has a lot of cool gadgets. Each movie in the trilogy does a good job of showing how he became Batman initially (it isn't until nearly half way through the first movie that you actually see him as Batman; awesome) through to in the last movie where he is tired, old and more crazy than ever. Dark Knight Rises is my favorite of the trilogy for many reasons.

Off topic a bit but applies to Batman. Grant Morrison has always been my favorite comic book writer. He did a great job with all his Batman stuff and well he is crazy as hell which is a plus:

https://vimeo.com/65180541

Still waiting on that TED talk speech Grant. please be high on DMT or in a k-hole while you are giving it.

Wink
Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Batman owns all, but I enjoy the Marvel flicks for their popcorn action.

Still a big fan of X2, and pissed that Bryan Singer jumped ships from that franchise to make a crappy Superman film.

Deadpool should be a nice change of pace, and give the genre a well timed lampooning.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone been watching Daredevil? I'm three episodes in, and it's exceptional. It's an incredible crime drama, with some of the best fight scene choreography I have ever seen. Charlie Cox does a way better job than Affleck did in the role. While Affleck was brooding and dopey-eyed, Cox is charming but serious, is more driven by compassion and justice than what felt like anger and revenge, and his chemistry with Foggy and Karen is amazing. They also address "The Incident" in Avengers, as well as what happens to a city after a superhero battle.

Also, on Monday my wife and I drove past the Deadpool set in Vancouver. We didn't see much, but it was crazy to see one of Van's main streets shut down.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jul 26 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, what did we think of Ant-Man? A family tragedy has prevented me from seeing it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jul 26 2015 02:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First and foremost, my deepest condolences.

I got out of Ant-Man a while ago. All throughout, there were lingering thoughts of everything I hate about Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, but was quite pleased to see none of those elements here. The story and action were top-notch, not to mention visual effects. I actually wound up liking it better than Avengers: Age Of Ultron.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 26 2015 04:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ill just quote what i posted in that other thread:

username wrote:
saw AntMan thursday night. i liked it. thumbs up. not one of the best marvel movies, but it was still fun, engaging, entertaining, and sprinkled with marvel easter eggs.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

wirelessrouter
PostPosted: Nov 01 2015 08:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think the best Marvel movie so far is Winter Soldier.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 04 2015 09:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CIVIL WAR WILL RULE EVERYTHING

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: