"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metal Gear Solid V: A Hideo Kojima Game

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 07 2015 05:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't see any threads about this game so I figured I'd start one. I picked up the PS3 version on day one and have only just now gotten into the part where you can raid other players' bases (Mission 22 which kicks off during the start of Mission 21). I've been keeping myself as in the dark about the story and background details as possible. Overall, I'd say that it would probably work better as its own title than as an MGS game; I've never left any of the other games running with the tv screen turned off to wait out a timer.

I lucked out and managed to use my regular handle for my PSN name (Lordsathien). Ignoring the "Japanese Screw Job" Kojima's been dealt by Konami, what do you guys think of the game?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Oct 08 2015 04:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't picked it up yet (due to various reasons like the lack of David Hayter, Quiet just seeming like a dumb concept, and the gameplay in general looking way different in playthrough videos I've seen compared to previous games), but do you guys think I should check it out? I adore MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker (haven't played much of 4 due to not having a PS3), but 5 looks like a pretty drastic change.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Oct 08 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My friend is very fond of this series (partially for plot/quirkiness, mostly for gameplay) and has really enjoyed MGSV so far. He agrees that the whole presentation of Quiet is silly, but look at the positive, all the videos of using Ocelot in her animations are just fantastic.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 08 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I talk shit about the series all the time, but it's quirks have always brought my back. I love it in a weird way, and I always will. I don't see how the new one is any worse or goofier than the previous games. They've all been pretty fucking bad in the story department but a blast in the gameplay department. I'll definitely check this out when it's half off on Steam.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Oct 09 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never saw the problem with Quiet. In the context of the series, she's no different from all the other superpowered freaks throughout its history. With the in-game reason she looks the way she does, take away her appearance and she doesn't stand out that much when you compare her to, say, any of the bosses from MGS3.

Also, the opening cutscenes and first stage are probably my favorite sequence in all of gaming.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
PostPosted: Oct 09 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Venom Snake being voice by Sutherland has been a sore-spot for some fans from what I've seen, however I would've just liked it if Venom had more lines in the first place. Combat and CQC flow wonderfully, weapons are fun to use, and being able to set my chopper to arrive blasting whatever music I want makes me smile more than I care to admit.

In the end the only two things that even remotely disappoint me about the game are the apparent lack of bossfights and how quiet things feel. Cutscenes are a bit sparse and far-between, and during missions and dialogue cassettes Snake rarely talks. I'm just nostalgic, though. I always liked the cheesy, excessive dialogue because it reminds me of being younger and hanging out with my best friend. Some people might hate how few cutscenes there are, some might find it a refreshing change, I just so happen to fall on the former side of the fence.

All-in-all, I dig it. Could've used a few more proper boss encounters, but for what it is I really enjoy it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Oct 09 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Haven't picked it up yet (due to various reasons like the lack of David Hayter, Quiet just seeming like a dumb concept, and the gameplay in general looking way different in playthrough videos I've seen compared to previous games), but do you guys think I should check it out? I adore MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker (haven't played much of 4 due to not having a PS3), but 5 looks like a pretty drastic change.
Prepare for a quieter performance from Sutherland. He is not bad, per se, but I guess they didn't give him much to talk about. Even during heavy situations he is often silent. That aside the gameplay is really fun, if not a bit repetitive, and Quiet is pretty easy to ignore if you don't care for having a sniper partner who communicates exclusively through humming. I tend to bring in D Dog, myself.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

The Opponent
PostPosted: Oct 11 2015 02:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Just fuck me up" - Me to mission 40

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Oct 11 2015 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Neutral-Bob wrote:
...Quiet is pretty easy to ignore if you don't care for having a sniper partner who communicates exclusively through humming. I tend to bring in D Dog, myself.
D-Dog was incredibly useful until I brought up my bond with Quiet, now I just put her on Cover Fire with a suppressed Tranq rifle and the humming rarely comes up. My Intel is level 50 or so, making it easy to notice enemies that Quiet's not yet scouted out before they're a threat.

I haven't used D-Gear at all. Further, Huey's Battle Gear was intended to be playable at one point, but Kojima saw how OP it made you and took that ability out.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

LeshLush
PostPosted: Oct 11 2015 03:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is one series I've never played at all, which is probably rooted in the fact that I had an N64 and not a playstation. It's one of the few long-series of highly-praised games that I don't have any experience with. Every now and then, I'll get curious about it, so I'll look up Metal Gear Solid characters online to glean a little bit about what these games are like. This always ends with me whispering, "what the fuck?" to myself, and not putting any effort into seeking these games out.

So my question for the rest of you, is, what am I missing? Somewhere talk me into giving these games a shot.
Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Oct 11 2015 05:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
This is one series I've never played at all, which is probably rooted in the fact that I had an N64 and not a playstation. It's one of the few long-series of highly-praised games that I don't have any experience with. Every now and then, I'll get curious about it, so I'll look up Metal Gear Solid characters online to glean a little bit about what these games are like. This always ends with me whispering, "what the fuck?" to myself, and not putting any effort into seeking these games out.

So my question for the rest of you, is, what am I missing? Somewhere talk me into giving these games a shot.
My reasons are probably the most shallow out of anyone. I love the ridiculousness of the tech, the trademarked wacky dialogue and character arcs, and the work of the VA's for the earlier titles before V. Growing up my best friend and I often played the games and spent hours dissecting all the little secrets spread across the game. Some boss fights reacted to items in certain ways, others had neat little quirks you could expose if you were patient enough to experiment. Amidst everything else were really cool weapons and neat little unlockables.

It just clicked with me as a kid and I rolled with it. I love the sounds when you equip items, use rations, and quick-reload your gun. The whole presentation just gels with me, and I think large part of it is simply because it was a great common ground between myself and a friend. There is a lot to talk about, even if it can all be exceedingly hoakey at times.

Sorry for the lengthy response. It is one of the few series I am exceedingly fond of.

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Oct 11 2015 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Neutral-Bob wrote:
...Quiet is pretty easy to ignore if you don't care for having a sniper partner who communicates exclusively through humming. I tend to bring in D Dog, myself.
D-Dog was incredibly useful until I brought up my bond with Quiet, now I just put her on Cover Fire with a suppressed Tranq rifle and the humming rarely comes up. My Intel is level 50 or so, making it easy to notice enemies that Quiet's not yet scouted out before they're a threat.

I haven't used D-Gear at all. Further, Huey's Battle Gear was intended to be playable at one point, but Kojima saw how OP it made you and took that ability out.
I've heard that she is really useful, especially once you get the tranq rifle. She just doesn't fit my playstyle. I've actually wanted to give the D-Gear a try as I've been slowly upgrading it in between weapon and base upgrades. It looks like a really neat partner capable of fulfilling multiple roles depending on your preference. I just stick with D-Dog because he is adorable and he is surprisingly intelligent when I'm infiltrating a base. He'll actually split up with me and act as a diversion. Pretty neat.

Have you used D-Horse that much at all? Outside of it's speed and the ability to use weapons while riding it, I haven't found much use for it.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Oct 12 2015 01:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Neutral-Bob wrote:
LeshLush wrote:

My reasons are probably the most shallow out of anyone. I love the ridiculousness of the tech, the trademarked wacky dialogue and character arcs, and the work of the VA's for the earlier titles before V. Growing up my best friend and I often played the games and spent hours dissecting all the little secrets spread across the game. Some boss fights reacted to items in certain ways, others had neat little quirks you could expose if you were patient enough to experiment. Amidst everything else were really cool weapons and neat little unlockables.

It just clicked with me as a kid and I rolled with it. I love the sounds when you equip items, use rations, and quick-reload your gun. The whole presentation just gels with me, and I think large part of it is simply because it was a great common ground between myself and a friend. There is a lot to talk about, even if it can all be exceedingly hoakey at times.

Sorry for the lengthy response. It is one of the few series I am exceedingly fond of.

Do not apologize, that was a fantastic response. I totally understand how a piece of art can hit you at just the right time. I have very strong, good memories of reading my dad's old Silver Age comic books as a child that has caused me to still read old 60s comics every now and then. I doubt I would care at all about The Legion of Super Heroes if I encountered it as an adult, but I loved the time in my life when I was reading them regularly, and it helped to forge a strong relationship with my dad, so it's hard to separated what of my appreciation for those comics is innate, and what is rooted in nostalgia. The experience is too complexly interwoven.

And I love that you have such a strong connection to little things like the aesthetics of the HUD and the sound of the gun reloading. Those small aspects of the holistic experience of gaming do not get enough credit for why video games are things that we love.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Oct 12 2015 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Something, spoiler-free, about the crazy task of 100% completing the game including some complaints about this game's Side Ops when compared to Peace Walker's and how collecting all 47 animals has no logical existence beyond a possible callback to the survivalist elements in Snake Eater.

The Opponent
PostPosted: Oct 13 2015 06:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Finished it for real an hour ago. Despite the issues I had with the gameplay and story, I don't regret playing it. The ending is not complete ass like some would have you believe.
[SPOILER:72c0a09507]So has no one commented on the MSX that was used to load Operation Intrude N313?[/SPOILER:72c0a09507]

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Oct 14 2015 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to have a lot to catch up on once I actually finish this thing (at my own pace). I'm currently about to go capture the "White Mamba" (mission 23, I think) which I believe is kid Liquid Snake and have been sidetracked by collecting all of the animals; I'm 85% complete done with that list and I know that at least two, the Anubis and Ibis, are side ops like the Himalayan Brown Bear so I'll have to wait until then.

One thing I've been told is that Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain were two parts of a trilogy; that there was a whole other section that planned for after beating Phantom Pain's story. As I said before, I'm staying in the dark as far as spoilers go.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Oct 25 2015 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I read it's official that this dude left Konami now. I guess it's only a matter of time before he does a kickstarter to make a knock off of his own game.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

The Opponent
PostPosted: Oct 25 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
So I read it's official that this dude left Konami now. I guess it's only a matter of time before he does a kickstarter to make a knock off of his own game.

I don't think he's going to crowdfund a game. He's very adamant on total creative control and if anything, answering to thousands of fans is the opposite of that.

Reply to topic

Jump to: