"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
In which Sathien contemplates his value as an RPG writer

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 05 2015 01:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

This seemed like the best thread to post this and I'd like to hear as many of the few opinions still floating around here as possible. The short of the situation is that I'm contemplating asking for a raise in my pay rate as a copywriter. The long of it is:

I make my living as a copywriter. While most of this has been tedium involving keyword frequencies and Search Engine Optimization, I've had one regular client for over 15 months that has been working on his own Pathfinder-RPG-compatable campaign setting. Most of the work from this client has been involved giving me a rough summary of a country in his world, which I then spin into a 1,250-2,500 write-up that covers geography, culture, religions, racial traits, traditional roles of classes and races, etc.

While these are the sort of jobs that don't feel like work, he recently admitted that my work was so exemplary that none of the other candidates he considered came close; I'm effectively his sole contributor. Given this guy's stellar comments about every job I've submitted, and the fact that I've been working with him sporadically for more than a year with consistently high praise, I'm considering addressing the idea of a raise in my rate, a rate specific to working with him, of no more than 10%. What do you guys think? Would more information help?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Sep 05 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Always go for a raise if you feel your value is worth it. Just make sure you are firm about it, and unless you absolutely need this specific job, make sure to let him know that you will find other work if your demands are not met. If he really values your work as you claim, he would probably be happy to pay slightly more for your services.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 10 2015 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I made my case, re-iterating all of the praise he'd given me over my previous work, and he agreed. Part of me wonders if he would've been willing to pay me more than his agreement of 10% but I'm still happy.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 16 2015 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nice. congrats on the raise.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 21 2022 08:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Man, that was a time. I miss working with that client.

I normally wouldn't necropost, especially when I'm alluding to my necronym of a handle in the thread name, but I figured I'd chime in to mention that things have evolved to the point I am now doing credited work with a company called Fool's Moon Entertainment ( https://twitter.com/foolsmoonei ). If all goes as planned, the kickstarter for the first project I'm working on through them should go live in February of next year (I'll probably come back here to post a link).

I'm also an editor and supplementary writer for this project. And it will be my first project to not only credit me by name but by the name I plan to change to at some point.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackpineac/lament-of-the-widow-an-adventure-in-the-infinite-manor

Reply to topic

Jump to: