[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG Origins

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 17 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

So, this is suppose to be the final core set.

So, what does that mean exactly, that there will be no M17 and onward? How does this affect things going forwards? I can't really find any info regarding this. Plus, I would like to hear the opinions of some of our resident Magic experts such as Jeebus and Syd.

Also, just curious, what was everyone's favorite core set?

Mine was 10th edition, only because that is when I stopped playing only via PC, and actually started buying cards and getting into the tabletop game.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 17 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Origins is supposed to "mark the beginning of a new standard." Where Standard will rotate every 18 months, rather than every two years. Wizards held a panel at SDCC explaining more of the details:

As to the prerelease, 2/3 of my non-seeded rares were in White, including the bitchin'-awesome Archangel of Tithes.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 20 2015 05:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, this is the last core set. Short version: there will be 2 two-set blocks each year instead of a core set and three-set block. There will be a rotation every six months instead of every year. I think it's a very good change overall, but I found Origins to be rather underwhelming. The concept of flip planeswalkers is awesome, but they're not amazing.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jul 22 2015 04:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
The concept of flip planeswalkers is awesome, but they're not amazing.
Points for giving you a way to permanently set your opponent on fire with Chandra though.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 22 2015 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Points for giving you a way to permanently set your opponent on fire with Chandra though.

That's just a rehash of the ability from Obsidian Fireheart (The land still burns)

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jul 29 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
lordsathien wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

That's just a rehash of the ability from Obsidian Fireheart (The land still burns)
I hadn't actually known about that card (I was pretty absent from Magic between Lorwyn and Scars). It's nice but there are ways of destroying lands; emblems are pretty much untouchable.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 12 2019 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Question from someone who vaguely dabbled in MtG for a while but has fallen super off the wagon because money: do you think this will make Magic MORE expensive overall, or less? Or the same?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Oct 12 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Question from someone who vaguely dabbled in MtG for a while but has fallen super off the wagon because money: do you think this will make Magic MORE expensive overall, or less? Or the same?

What's the old saying? The more things things change the more they stay the same? Since the original post four years ago, we've had two core sets and WotC has abandoned the notion of including an MSRP on its products.

There's now a regular box of booster packs and a Premium box that you can only buy online. That said, we also have Arena, which you can play on a computer for free.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Dec 29 2021 05:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Reading this thread had me laughing. MTG has gotten more expensive over the years, for sure. The latest core set was D&D Forgotten Realms. Also, they put out way too much shit now, where even if you have the money to buy it all like I do, it's hard to actually figure out if you actually know of everything that they are putting out. Pure madness, likely driven by Hasbro's desire to milk the playerbase for as much as possible.

I'm looking forward to getting back into more Urza/Mishra shenanigans and the LOTR set, while wondering if now is a good time to sell some more of my older cards, or to hold on and see if they all keep going up in value.

Mostly I just collect and build decks for fun now. After a couple of builds tomorrow I will have reached deck #400.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Dec 30 2021 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn! Do you just build the decks for fun, or do you do things like FNM to take them for a spin?

What's your favorite deck you've built?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

@om*d
PostPosted: Jan 04 2022 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have not played FNM since Kamigawa block. And yeah, I mostly build for fun, since I have only two people that I play with, and I don't get to play as much as I'd like.

It'd be pretty hard to choose just one favorite. A good amount of my decks are just janky stuff that I find fun. I also have quite a few nasty decks that come out if someone is playing something less casual and I need to stomp them, such as my finely tuned red direct damage, affinity, mill and power decks. I have a Sneak Attack deck that fits into that category which is fun to play, but not fun to play against. I love my dragon deck, hydra deck and snow deck. I have several different vampire decks which I enjoy playing. White Knight is another of my old favorites, as is Black Knights. I have a cat deck and a dog deck, which are a fun match up, since they are close in power levels. Kobolds is another fun one. My most recent builds have been unicorns/pegasus, minotaurs, wolves/werewolves and a red/black vampire deck using some of the new stuff from the most recent Innistrad sets.

Really, I would have to say I have a favorite era, more than any one deck, and that would be anything from 1993-1999.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jan 05 2022 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How do you feel about the next set being Kamigawa-but-cyberpunk? At least Ninjutsu's back.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jan 05 2022 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
I have several different vampire decks which I enjoy playing.

I know next-to-nothing about Magic, but was specifically checking to confirm this information. Good work. Carry on.
@om*d
PostPosted: Jan 05 2022 08:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lady_Satine wrote:
How do you feel about the next set being Kamigawa-but-cyberpunk? At least Ninjutsu's back.

I'm stoked. I loved the original Kamigawa sets, and I'm excited for the first sci-fi themed Magic set.

Preng wrote:
@om*d wrote:
I have several different vampire decks which I enjoy playing.

I know next-to-nothing about Magic, but was specifically checking to confirm this information. Good work. Carry on.

I actually have a deck with Dracula in it now. It's always fun to play with myself.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jan 07 2022 07:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a list of all my EDH decks; I'm especially fond of my Daretti's Walking Platform deck since I can get 8+ loyalty activations for each of my walkers.

https://tappedout.net/users/lordsathien/mtg-decks/

Reply to topic

Jump to: