SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Guitars, axes, the ol six-string twanger, etc.

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 09 2015 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love the Mockingbirds as well, also the Rich Bich is a pretty sweet guitar, but both were out of my range this time around.

It has the Floyd Rose Locking bridge. It's really great action, and the thing has sustain for days. Love it, and it should work nicely for all the different styles I play.

Today, my buddy and I had long jam session, and I zeroed in a few sounds that I was looking for. Using the "Fender Twin" modeling on my amp, combined with Tremalo effect and bright tone on the bridge pickup gives me a very nice 70s surf sound. Sounds very Ventures.

Also, using the 6505 model (Which is really Eddie Van Halen’s 5150 signature model) with the Fullbore petal makes for an insanely mean distortion. It sounds amazing.

I hope by this weekend to have at least one new song recorded, so I'll let you guys hear what everything sounds like in action.
thenose_knows
PostPosted: Apr 09 2015 01:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
Also thenose, who made your Bumblebee? Is it a custom job, or one of the replica releases?

Some guy who used to be my neighbor back in the day. So really, I grew up like 300 feet from this guitar and had no idea. Ha! It's a custom job, as it differs from the EVH model in certain ways. Namely, the body is routed for a floating floyd (I'm about to make it dive-only using a Tremol-No), the fretboard is scalloped rosewood, and the headstock is painted. Same hardware pretty much though. Original Floyd and EVH pickup, so really it sounds the same for 1/4 of the cost, and plays better. Although I'm partial to maple fretboards cosmetically, rosewood is way easier to clean.

I'm about to make a VH1 replica again. I just need a Squier Strat with an unfinished all-maple neck and large headstock. Then I'll gut it, paint it, put in an old humbucker I have lying around, and it'll be a decent replica of the original Franky. Also, since it won't have a Floyd Rose (Ed was running a Fender trem system back in those days), it'll allow me to use it for funky tunings like Little Guitars. I think that shit's like, drop Db with a capo at G or G# position. Oh, Eddie.

I love Mockingbirds. I've never played a BC Rich Bronze series, so I dunno what they feel like. I'm assuming something close to an Epiphone Special. So I'm glad you were able to find a good one, Knyte. Truth be told, I've played shitty Gibsons and amazing Squiers, so there's no definitive anything. Just gotta play the damn thing and see what you think. As soon as I get the dough, I want to buy a Mockingbird with a bolt-on neck and paint it pink like Paul Gilbert did back in the day. Might throw a Kahler on that shit, too, if it sounds good enough.

If you're enjoying your Floyd Rose, I'd recommend the EVH D-Tuna. You pull it out and you're in drop D (or drop Db, drop C, etc. depending on what tuning you're in) instantly. I can't use mine yet, since it'll fuck with the string tension, but the second I can, you bet your ass I'm busting out some No More Tears.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 09:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've always wanted an Ibanez Xiphos 7 string, it's basically built for extreme metal.

Here's it in action with Necrophagist, if you hate Technical Death Metal at least skip to 02:13 for a killer solo.

For anyone that does like technical death metal, does it seem like Muhammed Suiçmez from Necrophagist is channeling the late Chuck Schuldiner from Death? Rarely do you see a death metal frontman who can growl AND shred at the same time, with sick solos to boot. Cool

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 18 2015 03:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a quick mix I threw together today, to test out everything.

http://picosong.com/XkX2

The Drums were sequenced through FL Studio, The Rhythm part is my KK Warlock tuned to Drop C with the Fullbore set to "Drop Dark" settings. (More Black metal sound) The Lead (If you can call it that. Razz), the the Warlock in standard tuning with the Fullbore set to "Sleep Tight" settings. (Metallica-like) The Jag Bass is balancing both set of pickups.

The whole thing was recorded and mixed through FL Studio 11. It's a really shit mix, but I just wanted to get something done, to use as a basis for fine tuning everything.
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Apr 22 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey not bad dude. Looking forward to hearing something after you've got all your gear figured out. I gotta play around with all my stuff again. My singer is leaving province at the end of the year, which will effectively make our almost 3-year hiatus permanent. But I want to lay down all of the tracks we've completed, just so we have something to show for out efforts. Hearing your progress is kinda getting me going again Very Happy

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
thenose_knows
PostPosted: Apr 23 2015 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Here's it in action with Necrophagist, if you hate Technical Death Metal at least skip to 02:13 for a killer solo.

That guy's vibrato is pretty fuckin' tough. I like it, man.

Knyte, I liked your demo. I see what you're talking about with that scooped mid thing going on. I remember when I first heard James Hetfield and Dimebag Darrell's guitars, that HUGE sound that came through my speakers/headphones, it pulverized me. Seems like that's what you're going for, and I love it.

So, my Bumblebee seemed a little lonely. So I built him a friend. Not an exact replica by any means, but it was a pretty quick job. Painted in 1 day, soldered the circuit in 1 hour, spent 2 weeks waiting for the pickguard to come in. Ha!
Reply to topic

Jump to: