SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Ross Rifle Needs Help With His Doctor Who Cosplay!

Reply to topic
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jan 03 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everybody! So, in the last few years, since Fan Expo Vancouver has become a thing, I have gotten into cosplay. My wife and I went to the first Fan Expo, and all the costumes were so amazing that we decided we had to dress up the next year.

At the second Fan Expo, we went as Jason Wyngarde and Jean Grey as the Black Queen. Our costumes were great, but very homemade, as it is incredibly difficult to find a hot pink tux jacket with tails.

The next year, my wife and I joined up with 3 friends to go as Green Lanterns. We had Hal Jordan (the guy who played him has ironically turned into a huge dick and none of us are friends with him anymore), Kyle Rayner, Anya Savenlovich, and my wife went as her own character and I went as Arkkis Chummuck. We even had a little stuffed animal as Ch'p! We got our suits custom made and ordered rings, boots, etc. online and the costumes went over really well!

TL;DR - I like to cosplay, and here is next year's idea!

In the last couple years, I have become a hardcore Whovian. I have had awareness of the show since I was really young and found some old issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland from the 70s at my grandma's house. Now that I've started watching though, I've gone full-blown, now owning EVERY episode (including recreations of deleted episodes), paintings, action figures, sonic screwdrivers, books, etc.

*This paragraph is for those who aren't familiar with the premise. The Doctor is an alien called a Time Lord who travels through all of space and time in his TARDIS, a ship that looks like a 1950s police box and is bigger on the inside. He has many adventures, usually with a companion or two (almost always human, acting as an analogue for the viewers). When The Doctor is fatally injured, he regenerates into a new Doctor, changing his face and personality, but retaining all of his memories. He's the same, but different.*

Ok, so for Fan Expo next year, I have decided to go as The Doctor. BUT! I'm not going to go as one of the established versions of The Doctor. I'm going to go as my own original version. I know that this may score me some shit from fans, but I don't really care.

So, to any Whovians, I would like help choosing a costume from my finalist options.

To any non-Whovians, here are photos of all previous Doctors so maybe you can work from those to help me pick something that suits!

The First Doctor:

The Second Doctor:

The Third Doctor:

The Fourth Doctor:

The Fifth Doctor:

The Sixth Doctor:

The Seventh Doctor:

The Eighth Doctor:

The War Doctor:

The Ninth Doctor:

The Tenth Doctor:

The Eleventh Doctor:

The Twelfth Doctor:

OK! So in looking through the clothes I have and purchasing a few things, these are the combinations I have come up with. I have four sets of shirt/vest combination, and three possible pairs of shoes. I also have two Sonic Screwdrivers to choose from. I would love any help!

*All of these ensembles are with black slacks.*

Combo 1: Red shirt with brown leather boots

Combo 2: White shirt with grey sweater vest, red high tops

Combo 3: White shirt with red vest, brown leather high tops

Combo 4: Black shirt with red vest, brown leather boots

You may have recognized the scarf from the Fourth Doctor and the red Converse from the Tenth Doctor. I feel the little familiar pieces are going to help people recognize me as The Doctor.

So my big question is, which of these four ensembles is the best, and would you mix and match? Say you like Combo 3, would you choose the boots or red Converse; the silver Sonic Screwdriver instead of the gold and white one; would you replace the scarf with a different neck accessory?

I know this is a lot to take in, but I really thank you all for your time! After I get this all sorted out, I have to decide on a hairstyle!! GAAAAAAHHHH[/img]

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 03 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know anything about Doctow Who but I like the 4th one's scarf and pants. Number 9 looks dull as dirt.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 03 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The scarf is iconic. It's 12 feet long and was the Fourth Doctor's main piece of his wardrobe. The Ninth's outfit is the way it is because the actor, Christopher Eccleston didn't want his outfit to be a gimmick. He did the first season of the revival series as a favor to the show runner and has made it obvious that he never has, nor will he ever, give a fuck about Doctor Who. Which is too bad, because his run was solid.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Jan 04 2015 01:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am also oblivious to anything Doctor Who, but I would go with combo 2 or 4. No Converse. Those brown leather boots are bitchin'. Stick with those. And a hat might pull it together well.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 04 2015 01:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Those boots are steel toes too! And I can't wear a hat to save my life, as my head is HUGE. But I'll take it into consideration.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 04 2015 09:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I also agree you should wear those boots. I think you should tuck the slacks into the boots for a slight military vibe and if you don't have facial hair, consider growing a goatee or something. Sort of a nod towards the War Doctor.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 04 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh my god I forgot the War Doctor! Yeah, right now I have a full beard, so I can do basically anything with my facial hair. I'm gonna see what I decide upon for outfit and then get my hairdresser/Whovian friend to help me work something out.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 04 2015 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I added a picture of the War Doctor. Also, these are the sonics I have to choose from:

I'm choosing between the bottom two. The silver one emits a blue light and you hold it like a magnifying glass, and the gold and white one emits a green light and you hold it like a remote control.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Jan 04 2015 09:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would say the blue one is better. I have no idea what those are, but the blue one looks more science fiction. The white one looks like a wand or a scepter.

And the War Doctor looks pretty cool actually.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 07 2015 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

sonic screwdrivers... they look like dildos.

the war doctor looks hella bad ass. i would vote for him cuz he just looks like he takes no shit from anyone

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 07 2015 03:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

He doesn't take any shit...he actually wipes out the entire population of his greatest enemy, as well as his home planet, to stop a war.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

username
PostPosted: Jan 08 2015 01:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
He doesn't take any shit...he actually wipes out the entire population of his greatest enemy, as well as his home planet, to stop a war.

thats hardcore. someone who is definitely down for the cause

Klimbatize wrote:

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 19 2015 09:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I don't know if it was you guys who convinced me, but I'm gonna go as a young version of the War Doctor. I have no problem with dying my hair or anything, but I figured being a younger, brunette version means I can justify wearing slightly different clothes. I'll probably go with the black shirt combo, unless I get a neckerchief, then I may need to do a white shirt to offset all the black. Woohoo!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Mar 12 2015 04:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Doctor Who cosplay is a bust. I'm going as Wolverine

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 12 2015 05:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why not Doctor Wholverine?

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Mar 12 2015 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha holy shit. That'd be insane!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

username
PostPosted: Mar 13 2015 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

BEST, SUGGESTION, EVER.

Klimbatize wrote:

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 13 2015 03:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, at least with the Doctor Who one, you'd be wearing normal clothes. You're gonna look like a knob if you do a half assed Wolverine. Either you're gonna spend a couple hundred bucks to look decent, or you'll look like 70% of cosplayers.....awful and dumb.

Reply to topic

Jump to: