"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Legend of Zelda [Netflix]

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 07:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My internet broke yesterday. It wasn't a faux-celebrity's rear that did it; it was news about Netflix working with Nintendo to develop a live action 'Zelda' series. Reactions ranged from excited to instant skepticism that it would be anything of worth watching. Every article and comments section included the infamous line "EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS!"

I'm filled with various thoughts and questions that no one will care about.

+ TechCrunch theorizes Netflix wants a family-friend "Game of Thrones". If someone says to me, ""Game of Thrones" but with "Zelda" and PG" I'm still excited. I don't think they will go insanely character driven the way GoT is, nor have the intrigue, political motivations, or really much of anything to do with the series other than people have swords. I assume it'd be more in line with Sam Raimi's televised fantasy offerings.

+ Where they choose to film the series will have an effect on its quality, I think. Everything these days is location, location, location. Will they film in backlots and green screens of LA? New Zealand? Europe? Canada?

+ Already I'm wondering who they're going to get to do the music and whether they'll be allowed to use the game's themes.

+ Even if it's like that live action "Conan The Adventurer" series starring Rolf Moller I'm still going to freaking enjoy it. While cheesy as hell, I enjoyed the heck out of that one season show. That's where my bar of expectation is currently set... Yes, I know it's not that high, but if falls short of even that it'll be that much more disappointing.

+ 'Zelda' lends itself to a series thanks in part that it's the same myth retold time and time again. You have Link, Zelda, and a villain (most likely Ganon) and you don't really go wrong. Even if they don't follow one of the odd timelines Nintendo identified, it wouldn't be blasphemous.

+ I'm again saddened by Robin Williams's passing as he would've been a great actor to rope into this project.

Well, I wish Netflix's development team all the best and I'm happy Nintendo is willing to play ball with this. It may be a bit before this ever sees the light of day, but hopefully most people will be more happy with it than disappointed.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 08:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The main problem with a Zelda series is that Link doesn't talk. Anything he says will feel weird.

So, my solution is this. One of Netflix's most famous projects thus far was the Arrest Development revival. Why not get Mitchell Hurwitz to write a treatment? Have a narrator, to limit Link's need for speaking, and make Link a George Michael Bluth-type character, and make it about his clumsy but endearing (and eventually successful) attempts to be a hero? Who wouldn't watch that?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 09:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't gonna happen.

If it does? Fucking LOL

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Feb 08 2015 09:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

From what I have read, it seems like this project would have something to do with Netflix launching in Japan. If that is true, I would expect this to be a Japanese production with Japanese actors. I have the feeling that Nintendo does not trust westerners with any of its big IPs after the infamous Super Mario Bros. movie.

If they want to make a series based on a video game with a "Game of Thrones" feel to it they should use Castlevania instead. I feel like that would have much more material for them to work with.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 09 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap! Tebor!?!
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 09 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Holy crap! Tebor!?!

Twisted Evil

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

maverickhuntergirlz492
PostPosted: Feb 09 2015 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not keen on the idea, but since me wishing its not gonna happen won't do jack shit, I'd enjoy it more if it was in the spirit of Willow/old school Indiana Jones. That'd give us the action/exploration and a great fantasy vibe too. Epic battles, magic, creepy ruins. I wouldn't mind seeing Zelda be a kick ass princess again instead of damsel in distress. I mean hell, Princess Toadstool/Peach looks more dainty and weak then Zelda, but she's been a solid playable character in several Mario games and all Zelda has to her name is the cartoon, the infamous CDi game that I've only heard about and Spirit Tracks.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 10 2015 01:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The main problem with a Zelda series is that Link doesn't talk. Anything he says will feel weird.

So, my solution is this. One of Netflix's most famous projects thus far was the Arrest Development revival. Why not get Mitchell Hurwitz to write a treatment? Have a narrator, to limit Link's need for speaking, and make Link a George Michael Bluth-type character, and make it about his clumsy but endearing (and eventually successful) attempts to be a hero? Who wouldn't watch that?

Sure he does. He talks in everything except Nintendo produced games.

Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 10 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, Link's silence does not define the character for me. Perhaps it's his cries of pain whenever he gets hurt, but I assume he has a voice and does use it when I'm not controlling him.

But as evidenced by those clips, it will be real easy for them to get his voice really wrong. Hopefully Link will be somewhat respectable in the series.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 10 2015 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Link's no Gordon Freeman.

Also, if they for whatever reason do not use music from the series, I refuse to watch it. Just saying.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 11 2015 03:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

wtf tebor?! im more surprised at that than at the announcement

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 11 2015 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to see Rutger Hauer as Ganondorf.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Feb 11 2015 05:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Count my vote towards Keith David.
Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Apr 30 2015 04:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

EXCUUUUUSE ME PRINCESS! lmfao! Why did he say that 5 times in each episode???
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Apr 30 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Probably because they were desperate to give character to a still-mute hero back when that was the norm.
Reply to topic

Jump to: